Doctor Who S6 -- only four more sleeps!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm excited, are you?

In Canada the season premier is on Space, Saturday at 5:00 Pacific / 8:00 Eastern, with 4 repeats over Sunday to Monday.

In the US it's on BBC American, 9:00 / 8 Central. Don't know about repeats.

2. znachki

znachki Active Member

Oh heck yeah!

One of the things that's kept me sane in the wait is this:

http://markwatches.net/reviews/category/doctor-who/

Mark Oshiro had never seen Who, but watched from the reboot - and filled in with classic episodes. I love to read his reactions, because he's really unspoiled about it all, which everyone works really hard to honor. So much fun.

3. znachki

znachki Active Member

4. Artemis@BC

Oh, that is sad news. She was one of my favourite companions from the classic series. And although I never got into The Sarah Jane Adventures (too kiddie for my taste), it was a nice addition to the Whoniverse.

RIP, Elisabeth.

5. znachki

znachki Active Member

She just about everyones favorite companion. Apparently it was cancer, and it sounds like she'd been ill a while.

First the Brig and now Sarah Jane.

6. missflick

missflick New Member

Wow, didn't realize she had cancer. RIP.

I saw the new promo for the latest series. Matt Smith looks good with a beard! And manages to look like Viggo Mortenson!

7. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

very sad. she was great in the recent episode she did.

8. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

I don't think anyone realized she was sick. It was mentioned on Gallifrey Base that filming for SJA had been delayed because she was sick around a week or 2 ago. But no one knew how bad it was.

I'm really excited for the premiere. What sucks though is I work Saturday night so I have to wait 5 extra hours to watch the episode. I made my brother and my best friend swear not to tell me anything about the episode because I don't want it ruined.

9. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

10. missflick

missflick New Member

musicgurl, I love your siggy!

11. poths

poths Well-Known Member

12. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'm so sad to learn Elisabeth passed away. I loved Sarah Jane. My deepest condolences to her family and friends. I'll miss her.

13. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

So sad about Elisabeth Sladen. Sarah Jane was the first Who companion I ever saw, and still one of my favorites.

14. musicgurl

Thanks:D. Matt Smith said it in an interview with the New York Post, I think it was. I don't have the link anymore though, sorry. To make up for that though, here are the trailers from BBC America and the BBC, as well as the prequel clip to The Impossible Astronaut. For anyone who missed them.

BBC
    BBC America
    Prequel

Also according to Digital Spy, The Impossible Astronaut will be dedicated to Lis Sladen. And CBBC will be showing a 15 minute special called My Sarah Jane at 6:35 UK time. After TIA has aired.

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Though I never used to watch the show, so many of my LiveJournal and Facebook friends are always raving about it that I feel like I have. :) I did watch the "Christmas Carol" special in December, and really liked it, so I expect I'll be checking out the new season.

16. musicgurl

You should definitely check out season 5 as well. Parts of the season 6 story arc actually started in season 5. Although I think you'll be able to watch season 6 with no real confusion, watching 5 as well will probably fill out some details. That and you can watch Vincent and The Doctor. Which in my opinion is the most gorgeously shot episode of NuWho. And one of the best episodes of the show overall. My goal is to mimic the opening shot of that epsiode.

17. Artemis@BC

I was spelunking around in the CBC podcast archives and found this interview with Matt Smith on Q from about a year ago. (You might have to scroll down, or search that page for Matt Smith.) The Matt Smith interview begins at about 21:00

Interesting to hear his perspectives so early on in the role -- I'd love to hear a similar interview now. "This Doctor is kind of bonkers." LOL

18. missflick

missflick New Member

I know it has already aired on Space in Canada. I am just waiting it for it to be streamed online.

Dammit.

19. missflick

missflick New Member

20. znachki

znachki Active Member

Damn you Moffat! Now using a public restroom is scary! Really enjoyed the episode, lots of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey, and 11/River banter. Also, I so love Rory! Arthur Darvill's delivery on some of those lines is priceless.

As for Amy, I don't think she's - you know. River was doing the samething. I think it's a reaction to the Silents.

Plus - Mark Sheppard! and his dad!

21. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed it. Love Rory and I'm glad we're getting a little bit more River.

22. missflick

missflick New Member

I am loving Rory more and more.

And I am looking forward to more River.

23. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Here's the tribute to Elisabeth Sladen that was shown on CBBC immediately following the episode on Saturday night: My Sarah Jane 1
    My Sarah Jane 2

Also, Steven Moffat was on the Graham Norton radio show on Saturday morning which can be heard here until sometime this coming Saturday.

I'd like to see the Confidential from Saturday if anybody knows of a safe place where that can be watched. I know that cut-downs from last year's episodes are up on the BBC America site, but I can't find the latest one yet.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

25. missflick

missflick New Member

Questions:
    1) How does River escape? They must be onto her hallucinogenic lipstick by now. Yet for someone in prison, she escapes a lot.
    2) River tells Rory, that there is a worse day for her coming. She is already in prison, and some suggested it was The Doctor. So if she (faked?) his death, and is paying for it, what is worse? Hmm.
    3) We assume is was the future Doctor that died. But he was really hesitant in his answers. "Um, he is still building his dam" is response to Jim the fish. Maybe it wasn't?
    4) Was that Amy's future daughter? Or River's?
    5) How did the Doctor hear River say "I hate him" when she was in the Tardis and he was in the Oval Office?
    6) Just a comment: the locked room that River and Rory entered looked recycled from last year's "The Lodger".

Okay, I think about this show too much.

26. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

1) If she's a known affiliate of the Doctor, maybe they give her some leeway when it's for "official business". She seems to come back at least.

3) The Doctor is a big honkin liar. He could have been the two-month's older version instead of the 200-years older version. Then when it comes time for him to go get killed in Utah, the others won't realize it since he said he was so much older.

5) Because she says it a lot and he guessed that's how she'd react to his comments.

6) I'm gonna say that it's probably a huge friggin plot clue! Maybe the Silents (Silence?) was the same species that crashed the ship in The Lodger.

27. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Re. 5 If I'm remembering it correctly the tardis was in the oval office, but just invisible at the time. He was calling to her to take the invisibility off now that he'd been discovered - "make her blue again".
    Which leads me to wonder, if there's a silent mode, why the Doctor doesn't at least try to use it more often. I'm sure there's other situations where it might have helped. He did say that the invisibility uses a lot of power; perhaps that applies to the silencer as well.

Re 2 Thanks for the ideas. My biggest concern in the episode that I was hoping would eventually get answered in the show itself was how the Doctor managed to age 200 years in the same generation when we only ever see him last just a few years before regenerating, and I'm pretty sure that we'll see 11 regenerate within the next few years, definitely before 200 years pass. But perhaps you're right and he's lying or maybe it's something timey wimey that I'm not seeing yet. I do get the feeling that not everything that was started in this episode will be resolved in the next episode, but will play out through the rest of the season.

Also, after River's beautiful and sad speech to Rory about what it's like having the Doctor gradually knowing her less and less, I'll look at their meeting in Silence in the Library differently next time I see it.

28. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

River already answered that when she was alone with Rory. She said that she and the doctor are time traveling in opposite directions. The longer she knows him, the less he knows her. She realizes that one day he won't know her at all. That is the worse day to come.

There's an earlier scene where the Doctor asks River how he can possibly trust her when they won't tell him what's going on. Amy steps in and tells the Doctor to trust her. I noticed the pained expression on River's face but didn't fully appreciate it until the scene with Rory. Amy was the one the Doctor trusted. Not River. The Doctor she loves, and most importantly the Doctor that loves her, is fading away from her already.

^This. I need to watch the prior episodes with River again because I'm curious to see if they already had this story line planned out in the directions on how to act certain scenes. I want to pay more attention to how she reacts to his level of knowledge about her and his suspicion of her motives.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  29. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I don't know if things were planned out during the Library episodes, but once Series 5 started, Alex Kingston was told who River was. Since River obviously knows who she is, and knows her relationship to the Doctor before he does, they let Alex in on it so she'd know how to react.
    Apparently none of the rest of the cast knew until they got the script for episode 7, which is when we're supposed to find out.
    Alex must be quite a good secret keeper, she says she refused to even let her daughter know, even though she's been begging for years!

Alex did mention that River has been in and out of the Stormcage for 25 years for whatever crime she committed.

30. znachki

znachki Active Member

She's a tricky one that Dr. Song, I just fiugre she really can come and go if she wants to, but she just chooses to stay most of the time, because she believes she should be punished.

As others have said, reverse directions, Doctor not knowing her. "Silence in the Library" - hmm... there's that silence thing again.... Oh River, you are so not prepared.

I think it was future Doctor. Just watch the way Smith makes all of his "older" self different than is younger self. Also, since he is "indirectly" fiddling with his timeline, his future self may not die. Most time can be re-written. Not all of course.

Not in my opinion. Sometimes we fans overthink these things.:lol:

I'm of the opinion that he didn't hear her - he just knew what her response would be. The way you do when you know someone really well.

It was from "The Lodger", and is a big freakin' plot point for the rest of the season - or at least the first half.

Nah... no such thing