Doctor Who 50th Anniversary -- on the big screen!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I couldn't figure out what to do. :eek: I moved him a few inches, but that was it.

2. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Man. The Doctor would have blown through all 13 of his lives in record time if I were always in control.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out either ... til I watched the Youtube vid.

I'm still not going to be beating any record times, though!

4. znachki

znachki Active Member

I'm terrible at this kind of stuff - which shows my non-video playing age - but it was kind of cool to get killed by Daleks and Cybermen.

So excited for tonight - Adventure in Time and Space and for tomorrow. I'd already bought tix for the Monday show at the theater when they announced that they were doing a simulcast in my area. It is, of course, sold out.

5. Artemis@BC

I really hope that one will be available online, since I don't get Space any more.

6. Artemis@BC

Just ran across this extremely timely mashup: The Doctor Games. :rofl:

7. Artemis@BC

And another mini-episode is out: The Last Day. This one is available free from iTunes in North America, but our British cousins have to pay for it (I'm guessing because it's airing on BBC over here?)

8. icecat

icecat Active Member

Had the best luck with Peter Davidson ( although Tom baker wasn't bad) got the GOOGLE in about 18 minutes... pretty shameful time, actually...that last one was very Indiana Jones and I had to go back to the 2nd switch, which took extra time..
    You just move by the squares and avoid the daleks, cybermen and traps.Yyou must hit the switches to move the rocks up and down or open gates n stuff. very 80's, reminded me of a combination of King's Quest and Qbert, without all the waiting for screens to load. Fun stuff..thanks for the direct link!

9. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

My daughter is a huge whovian.. I was a little kid hiding behind the couch from the daleks growing up in England in the late 60's and 70's..so I get a kick out of her being such a fan.. I'm doing a mad catch up ready for tomorrow.. just caught up on the last season.. now watching all the Dr. Who events on Space.. and have taped it all for her.. she is going to the movies on Monday up at her school where she lives - I'll make sure to get her the DVD for Xmas.. when we were in England this past summer she was gaga over David Tennent and his plays in Stratford (they have lots of memorabilia) and then was thrilled when she met one of the Directors who was friends with him..

10. 4rkidz

An adventure in space and time.. i LOVED this movie about how Dr. Who originated.. anybody else watching live today? I'm on chat with my family and friends in England who are watching it along with us in Canada..

11. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I'm ... in awe of what Moffat just did.
    AMAZING birthday.
    Ten and Eleven together ? Epic !
    And gotta looooove Hurt !

12. 4rkidz

I loved the special..Dr. Who day of the doctor especially the ending ten minutes.. nice how they have set out now what the new series will be focused on.. very clever filming.. and nice little twists..

13. 4rkidz

was awesome.. David Tennant is so witty! But all of the Dr's.. great acting and great little one liners.. so nice at the end my childhood Dr too :) Funny it brings generations together.. my Dr. with my daughters Dr

14. Artemis@BC

I must now leave this thread until Monday night. I got my mother to PVR DotD and I'll be at her house tomorrow, but I still want to go into the big-screen experience on Monday completely fresh and unspoiled. Delayed gratification, baby!

15. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

So, is it completely ridiculous that when my old favourite Doctor Tom Baker appeared I was :wuzrobbed :shuffle:

I LOVED the end scenes :)

16. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Oh good, so it wasn't just me who got all weepy when he showed up. Can't help it; he was my first Doctor and it just seemed wrong to not have one of the classic Doctors turn up. Very fitting that it was him.

And I squeed at the brief shot of Capaldi's eyes.

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I was out all day with family stuff, but I've recorded both the Adventures in Time and Space and the special for viewing tonight and tomorrow. It just started hailing here, so I'm happy to curl up with some hot tea and the Dr.

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was fabulous. Son wanted to watch in real time, but we'd missed 3 episodes from last year. Watched "The Name of the Doctor" first to get the backstory.

I've got a soft spot for Rose, so it was good to see her. John Hurt was just awesome, and Doctor #4 showing up as the curator brought cheers. They even got in a Captain Jack mention. Tennent's last line "I don't want to go" - classic.

This sort of reset the franchise, though. The Doctor has always been dealing with guilt about his homeland and being the last Time Lord. Will the next one go searching for Gallifrey?

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I only started watching during with Tennant, so I don't have as much of the background, but I still enjoyed it (even if I did have to look up some of the old references). A number of nice nods to the past including the scarf. And it was fun to hear "13" with such determination. Got me excited for the next series.

20. icecat

icecat Active Member

I've been watching since the 70's and seeing Tom Baker was incredible. and yes, it absolutely made me:swoon: but made me feel young and old at the same time. For those of you "youngsters" that haven't seen the Baker episodes....yes they were cheesier, but he really, to me, more than any of his predecessors, set the tone and quirky attitude for Doctors to come. I watched all the older Doctors, Hartnell,Troughten, Pertwee, but Baker brought his inner Doctor to the audience...couldn't get enough, it's still the first iconic image most people think of.. the hat, coat, curly mop of hair and incredibly long scarf. Heck I learned to knit just so I could make one!
    Baker, Davidson and Tennant are by far my favorite Doctors. I quite enjoy Matt Smith as well. It's amusing to see Peter Davidson on Law and Order UK. ( But then I get a kick out of my other teen crush, David McCallum from Man from UNCLE as Ducky on NCIS. ok I admit it..I'm old.

21. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I am so confused. Why does Moffatt constantly just ret-con everything according to his own desires? Hey, the destruction never happens--but what about Ten's last episodes?

I enjoyed it (sans giggly annoying Elizabeth I and Ten). I really like Clara. ETA to say I MISS NINE. I wish Eccleston wasn't all "No I want nothing to do with Who now!" Boo.

I'm really looking forward to Capaldi.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  22. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I thought the retcon was brilliant. It allows for the Doctor to have a new mission and they can cite to the new continuity as a way of giving the Doctor additional lives. In a way, I think it was more than Moffatt writing for his own desires; he was writing for the future showrunners by giving them a much more expansive sandbox to play in.

23. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Moff is a genius.
    Not only did he bring back the doctor's innocence, but he did give opportunities to go on with that show like ... forever ! Brilliant!
    And 13 doctor made me WHAAAAAAAT the HELL ? LOL LOL :)
    Now I get all he said prior to this episode.
    I am DYING for the Xmas special now.

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

Actually there is room for both. Note in the show that the "war room" folks said something like the High Council tried something that didn't work - that's Ten's last episodes. Also, loved the fact that 8.5, 9, and 10 won't remember that they didn't blow it all up. So, that doesn't change that part. Also, the fact remains that the Daleks were destroyed (about as much as they were before :lol:), and that Gallifrey is again kind of timelocked..

I have to say that the second time through, I kept thinking about how this story might have been constructed had Eccleston said yes. Would he have been the "War Doctor"? You could see hints I think. Did you notice that 8.5 was wearing a leather jacket very similar to 9?

I loved all of the fan service bits, most especially when the Doctors are around the button “Never cowardly or cruel. Never give up, never give in.” A reference to the character bible from the early years of the show.

So excited to see Peter Capaldi's Doctor 12/13. "Going home the long way round".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  25. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Things I didn't like about The Day of the Doctor:
    - The bit with the Zygons wasn't really resolved (although I have a feeling it might be in future episodes, because how could an awesome character like Osgood and her Zygon double NOT come back?)

- Queen Elizabeth I was mostly just annoying. And wasn't she the one who walked into The Globe at the end of The Shakespeare Code and declared the Doctor to be her enemy? Where did that animosity come from? (I may have missed some bits for not having any subtitles...)

- The battle scenes, while awesome, weren't quite as horrifying as the previous hints about the Time War had made them out to be. It was just Time Lords and Daleks shooting Star Wars-style lasers at each other. No weapons based on time energy, no forced regenerations, no "Skaro Degradations, Nightmare Child, Horde of Travesties, or the Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres led by the Could've Been King", as mentioned in The End of Time. But I guess the Time War always was a bit of a Noodle Incident...

- Ten leaving the scene with "I don't want to go". For some reason this just made me roll my eyes.

- Also, Ten's hair was all wrong! :drama: :fragile: :wideeyes: Sticky-uppy hair, how hard can it be? And, not to put a curse on him or anything, but doesn't Tennant look tired? :slinkaway

Things I did like about The Day of the Doctor:
    - The Gallifreyan paintings looked awesome in 3D - in fact, the whole film did! Even the spectacular battle scenes were clear and easy to follow, and they were spectacular. Kudos to the SFX people!

- Osgood! :cheer2:

- Daleks that actually acted like war machines, rather than armed pepper pots that can be distracted by talking.

- The War Doctor calling Ten and Eleven out when they were being ridiculous. "Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?" :lol:

- The EPIC finale with THIRTEEN Tardises and Doctors all working together! :kickass:

- THE EYES OF TWELVE OMGOMGOMG!!! :rollin: I think I'm in love already and I can't wait for the Christmas special! :cheer2: (Sorry Matt, you were never my favourite.)

Questions it raised:
    - How the hell did Eleven and Clara get out of the Doctor's time stream place that they were in at the end of series 7? :confused:

- It's been made very clear before now that the Time Lords at the end of the Time War were as bad as the Daleks. The Gallifreyans we saw here didn't seem too bad though, they were mostly civilians and not too high ranking officers. So was it only (parts of) the High Council that had gone mad? If that's the case then using the Moment to burn all of Gallifrey (and Skaro) doesn't seem justified at all.

- And now Gallifrey's locked away in it's own pocket universe. Do all the inhabitants know who did it? Are they happy about having escaped the Daleks, or are they festering in their own madness, blaming the Doctor from having snatched them away from "the brink of victory"? I suspect that, if the Doctor does manage to make his way home, his return won't be as triumphant as he might expect...

Subsequent viewings will probably reveal more things that I find annoying, amazing, and confusing, but last night they were all overshadowed by awesome. :) :cheer2: :respec:

26. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I thought it was awesome- a really interesting look at the early series and how the BBC worked in the early days. I didn't know that the first producer was a woman (highly unusual in the early 1960's). Cool.

27. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

28. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

29. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I watched that episode 5 times already. Am I mad? :lol:

30. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

No, I've watched it four times, so you're only slightly crazy because I'm not mad yet!