Doctor Who 50th Anniversary -- on the big screen!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Pretty excited about this! I dumped Space from my cable package so was going to have to find some other route to watch -- so the chance to see it on the big screen with other Who fans is pretty cool.

Simulcast on Nov 25 in some venues, Nov 27 and later broadcasts of varying dates in other locations.

Doctor Who at Cineplex (Canada) (sorry I don't have the links for other countries)

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Thanks for the tip. I looked, and it will be shown in theaters in the US:
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/24/doctor-who-50th-anniversary/

Tix go on sale tomorrow: http://www.fathomevents.com/?utm_so...n=DoctorWho#!doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor

A list of the US theaters showing it is here:
    http://www.fathomevents.com/?utm_so...day-of-the-doctor/more-info/theater-locations

Unbelievably because this stuff never happens up by me, there actually is a theater nearish to me showing it. Remarkable.

3. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I think I'll watch at home just because I want to be able to talk without bugging anyone other than Mr. Elle, but it's really cool that they're doing that. Doctor Who fandom in the US these days is very, very different (read "Much, much bigger") from how it was when I was a lonely Who fan in the 80s.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I think it'll be cool to see if there are any other sci fi fans (never mind Dr. Who fans) in my neck o' the woods. I often feel that it's me and my husband... and that's about it. ;)

5. Artemis@BC

Already wracking my brains about what sort of costume I might be able to rig up ...

6. Artemis@BC

Wow, glad I bought when I did -- my preferred location is already sold out. Which is a bit of a bummer as I've now found someone to go with (most of my Whovian friends aren't local), and now we can't go together.

But with 4 sold out screenings so far just in the Vancouver area, I'm pretty thrilled there's that much Who-love in town!

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

On a Monday night? Why??

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

My son and his friend are Whovians, so I'm totally getting tickets for this (and going with them). The theater is about a half mile from the house - too convenient to not go. :lol:

9. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Guys. Guys, you need to see this. Now.

Also, tomorrow I'm going into town to get tickets to the one (and so far only) screening of The Day of the Doctor. I'm going with a friend who hasn't seen any DW, so we'll spend a few hours before the screening watching a choice selection of episodes. :)

10. Artemis@BC

That sounds like a day very well spent. :respec:

11. znachki

znachki Active Member

I was just coming over to post this. Haven't stopped squeeing. It's the one thing I really wanted from this whole 50th Anniverasry.

Got to go back and watch it again, and again and...

btw - nice bit of "movie magic" at the end there.

12. Artemis@BC

^ Is it something from the Episode itself? If so, I don't want to see it yet. I want to remain as unspoiled as humanly possible (without turning off the internet for the next 2 weeks).

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

No, it's caled "The Night of the Doctor", and it's a prequel for the special. Watch it.

14. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I saw it a little while ago. It's super!

15. Artemis@BC

Okeydoke, thanks! :watch:

16. znachki

znachki Active Member

Znachki patiently waits for Artemis@BC to come back....:sheep:

17. Artemis@BC

Completely awesome!! Even more excited now for Nov 25!

18. znachki

znachki Active Member

I know. I haven't stopped squeeing on the inside since I saw it.

19. Sofia Alexandra

I got me ticketses! :cheer2: :rollin:

Any suggestions for which episodes to show my non-Whovian friend? I'm thinking Rose and Dalek from s1, introducing the Doctor, Rose, and a Dalek, plus a few hints about the Time War; The Eleventh Hour and The Snowmen from s5 and s7 (provided that the s7 box set I've ordered arrives on time), introducing Eleven and Clara, as well as The Name of The Doctor (and The Night of the Doctor, of course), since it's the setup for The Day of the Doctor.

I'm a bit stumped when it comes to which of Ten's episodes to show, though. Nothing that spoils any major story arcs, in case my friend wants to catch up on her own afterwards, so no series finales, but what, then? Blink, perhaps? Or Midnight? The Shakespeare Code? Someone on LJ suggested The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit, which could work, I guess.

Any suggestions?

20. Artemis@BC

As awesome as "Blink" is (still my favourite episode ever), it doesn't actually focus that much on the Doctor, so maybe give that one a pass. Otherwise pretty good list. Maybe add "The Doctor's Wife"? Or perhaps that one requires too much Whovian knowledge to really appreciate.

I appreciate your no-season-ender rule, but you might want to reconsider and include "The End of Time." It's not really a spoiler since of course your friend will know that certain Doctors end, and it's the episode that best sets up the Time War. Plus it's a who's who (so to speak) of characters from New-Who that far.

For a completely stand-alone and unspoilery Ten episode, how about "The Girl in the Fireplace"? That's got all the classic elements, and is vintage Ten.

21. Sofia Alexandra

I think I'll fill her in on the Time War myself, bolstered with the tidbits mentioned/hinted at in Rose and Dalek. Just the thought of someone seeing Ten's regeneration at the end of The End of Time without getting to know him properly first... No. Does Not Work. And I'm not going to turn off the dvd just before Wilf starts knocking, either. :p

22. Artemis@BC

I'd actually forgotten the Time War was even mentioned in "Rose." (I haven't watched the Nine episodes as much as the Ten and Eleven ones.) Maybe I'll rewatch that one too before the 25th.

BTW, let us know if you successfully "convert" your friend -- I've been trying to work on a friend of mine (isn't that one of the definitions of a cult? Recruiting? :D ), but haven't been successful yet.

23. Sofia Alexandra

It's mentioned when Nine is conversing with the Nestene Consciousness, though I can't remember exactly what he says.

I think she'll be converted; she's as geeky as I am (if not geekier), and we tend to like the same films, books, and comics. :) I find that, with Doctor Who, the trick is to get people to watch three episodes. If they're not hooked after that then they probably won't be hooked at all.

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

25. Artemis@BC

Just spotted on Amazon that they already have a release date for the DVD -- Dec 10. That's pretty fast! I guess they figure the longer they wait, the more likely that people will go the pirate route.

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

In time for the Whovian on your Christmas list!

I'll be very interested to see what happens regarding the ratings and the pirate site downloading. I fully own to downloading Who in the past, but since they started showing them on the same day I stopped. Especially when we were also getting the full version instead of one cut down to fit the time slot, which was the more important reason that I was downloading.

27. Artemis@BC

Check out today's Google Doodle! :cheer:

(And be prepared to waste a lot of time!)

28. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

D'oh! The US wuzrobbed of the Whoodle! :soapbox:

29. Artemis@BC

30. Artemis@BC

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.