Do you think SKANDALS are good for figure skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jlai, Aug 27, 2010.

Do you think SKANDALS hurt figure skating?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2010.
  1. Naaa, the more the merrier

67 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Yes, it really hurts the sport.

23 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. It hurts only if it involves (insert your favorite skater's name here)

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA, although there has to be good skating to keep those people who are turning in for the "wrong reasons". For example, in '94, many of the singles skaters (men and ladies) all having the skates of their lives, plus Browning's legendary free skate. In addition, they saw a duel for the pairs gold between M/D and G/G showed pair skating at its best. So, people who were watching because of the Tonya/Nancy saw something that made them say "I want to see more of this..." If, for example, '94 Olys had been a splatfest, like Torino '06, then I doubt there would have been a boom in the sport that lasted almost a decade.

2. Judy

Judy New Member

Yes that is true. It is good that we have the Olympic Ice dancers V&M not retire and that there will be a challenge between D&W and them for the next while hopefully. Hopefully some stars start to shine through in the other divisions as "stars" do drive the interest and ratings.

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

But did Nancy remain unscathed? And if not, is she willing to be a sacrificial victim for the good of the sport?

4. withrespect

withrespect New Member

I voted yes it hurts the sport. It hurts the credibility imo. I hear more comments from straight men that figure skating is nothing but a soap opera. Maybe cause they are married to skating mothers? LOL