Do you think SKANDALS are good for figure skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jlai, Aug 27, 2010.

?

Do you think SKANDALS hurt figure skating?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2010.
  1. Naaa, the more the merrier

67 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Yes, it really hurts the sport.

23 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. It hurts only if it involves (insert your favorite skater's name here)

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. jlai

jlai Title-less

What do you think?

Do you think more knee whacking will drum up interest in the sport?

More :argue: between Evan and Johnny?

More :skandal between skaters?

Does more :mitchell: or :bribe: hurt its credibility?

Do you think :eek: costumes are scandalous enough?

Or no news is good news and you'll :scream: at the next piece of :drama:

All I know is I'll be :watch:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It helps the sport's popularity for sure..

3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

There are plenty of costumes that are :wideeyes: but they're not nearly skandalous enough. I want more slutacious skatewear, damn it. Especially on the boys.

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It gives skating attention, but not really the right kind. It doesn't attract true skating fans.

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Any press is good press . . . despite my dislike for the recent TMZ worthy Twitter b@#ch fit drama . . . although surely the skating community of any era could have produced such drama if the technology was available. In the 1950s, instead of TMZ and Twitter, it was Time Magazine and the NYT.

6. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Hear, hear. Do we really want skating to devolve down to the level where it needs a scandal to make it popular? Skaters X Y & Z make it popular by putting on a good performance year after year. A scandal might make the sport known, but within time the scandal becomes old news and the public becomes tired of antics.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but any news is good news. Particularly here in Australia where figure skating gets absolutely no coverage.

The good thing with the last Olympics is the DomShab OD (which was bad) managed to switch a heap of people onto ice dancing and they got to appreciate V&M (which was good). I had so many people who said how much they loved them and it was the first time in years that they really were drawn to a dance couple.

It also helped that the skating was pretty bloody good as well. If it had been like Torino, it proabably would have been another story.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

Ah, kind of like how the Nancy-Tonya drama sparked some interest among non-fans, then we had the Kween to sustain interest in US figure skating for like a decade.

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yup. I lured my husband into watching OD's this year because I put a cultural/ controversial spin on it ( usually no one in the family gets into my skating obsessions). He enjoyed it, loooved V/M and we had an interesting conversation about cultural borrowing :D

10. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "SANDALS."

I was picturing Mao et al. strapping blades to a pair of Jesus sandals or something.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  11. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to figure skating as a whole.

12. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I can only speak for what I saw in the US, but my answer: It depends. I think the Tonya Harding mess was good in the sense that it got a ton of people watching skating and, better yet, becoming interested in the skaters' personalities. (You're right; Michelle really did come along at just the right time.)

SLC 2002 was NOT good at all -- all the judging scandal did was confirm the general belief that skating's all rigged anyhow, so why bother watching?

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It's good for popularity, but it hurts FS as a sport.
    Because press goes to FS for bad reasons, people see FS for bad reasons. Not because it is a wonderful sport to watch and practice !

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ask Christine Brennan...

15. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

All I can say is

Ratings before the "whack" Poor
    Ratings right after the "whack" OUTSTANDING
    Ratings after the "whack" is old news Pathetic...

In America at least... Scandals sell!

16. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

people love drama and scandal. take a look at any off season. if there isn't any drama, someone always tried to create it. :lol:

17. senorita

senorita New Member

Yagudin going to Tarasova was not a 'bad' scandal, and commentators were talking about it up until SLC!

18. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

I think judging scandals are bad for the sport but anything else is good for the sport.
    Judging scandals hurt the credibility of the sport and free press or not anything that damages credibility is not good.

19. magnolia

magnolia New Member

I second that. :respec:

20. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

True, but not all scandals damage the credibility of the sport per se; for instance, the Tonya-Nancy Kneewhack damaged Tonya's credibility for sure, but figure skating remained unscathed--actually, scratch that, figure skating's popularity exploded.

21. magnolia

magnolia New Member

I thought I had agreed to the opinion that all scandals were good except judging scandals and the likes where freedom of expression appears to have been compromised.

Having given the question more thought, I also think that it's also not good when many former skaters are arrested for criminal activities such as drug trafficking, sexual violence, theft, etc. But I guess as long as the percentage of criminals who are former skaters matches the general population's, it's not a problem.

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

. . . the more the merrier . . . because they all remind us that Michelle Kwan is wonderful.

23. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Scandals in the traditional Italian sense (related to uproar in the theater between performers and/or management) is always good. The Kim-Orser soap certainly falls in that category as did the whack incident.

Scandals in the modern American sense (malfeasance by officeholders) is very bad and skating has still not recovered from SLC 2002.

24. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Only if the skater(s) are asking for it. Such as Tonya Harding.

It is bad when hurts someone that didn't. IE Elena & Anton. That only got drug on because the ISU wouldn't stand up to a bunch of whiners. The officials most definitely need backbones.

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

At least skaters have become better spinners since SLC :).

26. stevlin

stevlin Member

Yes, scandals did help skating. We had alot more skating coverage on tv. I live in the USA. We even had Canadian skating on tv. We need something really big to happen to get more coverage on tv. How about Mao and Yuna beating the h--- out of each other? ha ha just kidding!:D

27. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Very true, it feels like the whole CoP, components, transitions and quads drama started with the SLC times and it's scandals. Although I do believe the pairs issue was very hyped up back then and they only agreed to give additional golds, because the whiners represented a big and powerful federation. While the real scandal was in dance and nobody even noticed.

Judging in ice dancing was very subjective and full of politics then, but sometimes I get the impression it still is and all the CoP gave us was changing the discipline from being mostly about dancing to being more about countable elements. And they still manage to give medals to totally undeserving teams, by letting them win everything by CD only (take LA 2009 - V/M over D/W and Tallinn 2010 with D/S win). Gold and silver in LA and awarding V/M with worlds gold this year are further examples.

I mean, maybe the SLC scandals were needed to bring some changes to the sport and some of those changes turned out to have positive influence, but I think we still deal with new jugding scandals like nothing actually changed at all.

28. Judy

Judy New Member

It depends on which scandal. The Olympic judging scandal almost killed figure skating. It took me, personally, a long time to come back and I still consider myself more a casual fan.

I think the current scandal will die away but will remain important between the parties both of whom were badly hurt over this for whatever reason.

29. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Scandals help, no doubt. It gets the sport out there, in the eye of Joe and Jane Public. Sad but true.

30. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

You missed a poll option: Michelle Kwan!

But on a more serious note, I also agree with the person above who said, depends on the type of scandal, judging scandal = bad, but the rest are usually good publicity.