Do you sleep with the windows open?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, May 31, 2010.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

We were discussing this at work recently. A few people never had the windows open at night because they were afraid of something flying in (even with screens) or because they just preferred air conditioning. Others loved sleeping with the windows open.

So how about you? Do you sleep with the windows open at night ?

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Before when the air was cool...yes. Now, that it is hotter than heck...no. ;-)

3. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Yup - winter and summer.

4. mkats

mkats New Member

No, because my window is very close to a low-slanting portion of the roof and I'm terrified of someone climbing up and in at night. :shuffle:

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

wheeze, wheeze, wheeze. In other words, no :p

6. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

When the weather is cool enough, I love sleeping with the windows open, but we definitely have screens to keep the bugs out.

7. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Closed, only in summer I open ┬┤em but just a bit

8. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Wish I could. But it's first floor and a large low window. Afraid of waking up with my throat cut.

I have central air, but only need (or want) it sporadically. (like this past week) I'd much prefer to just open the window on nights that the air is cool and fresh.

9. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Absolutely! There's nothing more refreshing than wide open windows after a day in a closed-in environment.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I open them when outside temps are between 50 and 80. I hate stale air.

11. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

^^

When it gets real warm, though, I use a swamp cooler so usually only have the bedroom window open a few inches to get the cool air circulating through.

12. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Until I had bars installed in my window, when I moved a few years ago, no. Even though my new neighborhood is fairly pleasant, I was too nervous, after growing up in a time when NYC was being cleaned up by Giuliani (which isn't even as bad as compared to the 70s). Of course now, I will do so in hot summer days for some air circulation.

13. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Since we do not have the budget for A/C this year! Our windows are open all day and night. I sometimes will leave the back bedroom window open when its cold out but not during the night. Makes the furnace run to much which costs to much $$$.

14. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Yes! That's the nicest.

15. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

No, I don't really appreciate the "fresh" air or loud neighbors with my allergies. Not to mention our alarm system won't let us bypass windows.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  16. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I have the same problem. So, I keep them slightly open in winter and open with a fan in the summer. But spring and fall no can do.

We actually have two air conditioning units for the house. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. It's really good, because you can turn the downstairs off at night and turn the up stairs off during the day. So you save, by not having to cool the whole house all of the time. Problem right now it the upstairs unit isn't working right. Both units are 25 years old and we figure if we replace one, we should do both and we just found out we have to re do a bathroom and just can't afford both. The bathroom has to be done, the shower is leaking and the sub-floor is wet, the floor tiles are cracking.

17. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

If it's cool or windy, yes. If it's hot or there's a lot of allergy-inducing crap in the air, then it's all AC.

I have the ceiling fan going either way.

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If I had windows I could open I would in summer, but my current bedroom window is stuck (thankfully I am only there for another few months).

19. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

It depends - I prefer to have them open but can't do it when it gets hot here in NYC. My cutoff on sleeping weather is under 63 degrees, higher than that, it gets too hot in my apt. I do prefer it to air conditioning but it's a must in my apt. in the summer. (like today)

20. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Do you live in an apartment? If so get the super to un-stick it. If you live in a house, please un-stick it yourself. That could be a fire hazard!

21. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Open if it's not too hot. I hate AC, but sometimes it's necessary to suck the humidity out of the air.

22. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

I try to, but on many nights one of my thoughtless neighbors ruins things by smoking outside and/or lets their little yappy dogs out (condominium complex).

23. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

My husband does that :mad:! he likes to sit out on the deck with a cigar and a glass of wine. If I leave the upstairs windows open, the whole house stinks! But, if I close them, in this heat, it's stifling.

24. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I live on a very busy street, so no. There's already enough noise from outside with the windows closed!

25. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I love sleeping with the windows wide open and I have screens. Unfortunately, I now have a cat who hates screens and she is quite capable of taking the screen out by shifting her weight and claws. If that doesn't work, she puts a hole in the screen. It's a bit too early for mosquitoes, but I'll be cursing next month. I much preferred the old windows that had screens that you could move up and down. Even on the hottest nights - it's great to have the windows open wide.

26. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I've always kept the windows open, even when I lived in not so great neighborhoods, except on those few occasions when I was alone in a not so great neighborhood. Once, the hubby and I fell asleep at around 5pm and slept right through the night and left the porch door wide open with all our stuff right in the living room. :lol: That was years ago....

Our windows in our new den/converted into bedroom due to impending child's arrival are too high to sneak in anyway and the rest of our windows are too small to really sneak in. We have a window A/C unit when it gets really awful here, but that's not very often in NE.

Meredith and (deleted member) like this.
  27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

never, I don't like the outdoors or murderers

Veronika and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I thankfully live on the 2nd floor in the middle of nowhere... so open windows it is! I don't have fans or AC, but lots of windows that get a great cross breeze. Love fresh air!

29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If I was going to be there forever I would get something done about it. As I am only there until my own place is built, I couldn't be bothered. Anyway I got by okay last summer and it is now winter here. I don't particularly care one way or the other.

30. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

But, I will worry about you having a stuck window and that you might have to get out through it. :) I guess you could always break it if you had to.