Do you recognize costumes from the past worn by younger skaters?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am not very good at this, but occasionally I do recognize a recycled costume- that is, a costume worn by a usually well known senior level skater that is being used by a younger skater(s) in a competition a few years later.

I went to see the JGP in 2001, and immediately recognized Yagudin's past costume on Andrei Griazev.

When I watched Petrova-Sikharulidze from roughly 1995, I recognized the costumes worn by Bechke & Petrov for their 1992 Olympics LP (The Nutcracker).

I had read that after Sergei's passing Katia had given away some of his costumes (probably hers too) to young pairs. I don't remember seeing them, but I am sure they were used in competitions by other skaters.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Jutta Muller used to do that a lot IIRC I think she even outfitted Evelyn Grossman in an costume first(?) worn by Anett Poetzsch (over 10 years previously).

3. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I believe the following is correct...

Michelle Kwan peformed her EoE exhibition at 1996 Nationals and Worlds in a Bob Mackie hand-me-down from Linda Fratianne. Sasha Cohen once wore a dress that had belonged to Jenni Meno. Courtney Hicks competed in Cohen's Rach dress with the yellow skirt last season, and Nina Petushkova skated in Slutskaya's black Tosca dress during the 2008-9 season.

4. poths

poths Well-Known Member

The only one that comes to mind is Mao wearing Midori Ito's 1996 costume at her first senior Japanese Nationals in2002? <---you have to flick on a bit as it starts with highlights of her sp.

5. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

Anabelle Langlois also gives her old costumes to some competitors as well. I know that Meagan Duhamel wore her Lawrence of Arabia costume (blue) for her 2006 or 2007 long program at both Nationals and 4CC and this past season, Adriana DeSanctis wore her Mr. Monotony costume (pink with the puzzle piece) for one of her programs at nationals.

6. screech

screech Well-Known Member

7. Vash01

Thanks for posting this. I had never seen Midori's performance at the 96 Japanese nationals. It was flawed, but the 3 axel was gorgeous.

Mao in 2002 looks so cute and adorable!

8. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

Mao Asada's free program dress (see here) during 2004-05 was also borrowed from Midori Ito (see here).

Courtney Hicks sp dress last season to "Dark Eyes" (see here) was borrowed from Sasha Cohen (see here), who used it for her Rachmaninov free during Nationals and Worlds 2003.

9. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I don't remember the name of the skater who wore it, but there was one younger competitor at a certain competition (it may have been at Liberty two years ago or last year) who wore a Carmen costume that looked like one that may have belonged to Evan? It had sparkly gold on the shoulders, some red, and mostly black. Does anyone else remember seeing this?

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Really ?
    Do you have a picture of Linda Fratianne ? :)

11. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Tara Hancherow wore Jessica Dubé's costum at last Junior Nationals. That was from their short program "Fix you" from 2008-2009 season.

Jessica Dube

Tara Hancherow

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think the Russians handed down costumes a lot. I think I have also seen A&P's outfits get outings on other French skaters. And I remember Grushina/Goncharov wearing K&O's Yankee Polka outfit.

Not surprising when they can be so expensive. But for things like compulsories why would you go to the trouble of getting new outfits if you can find something that fits you and works for the dance.

13. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Alas, no. Worse still, the only support I can find for my claim right now is a single YouTube comment. :duh: Perhaps I misremembered reading that claim in multiple places, including FSU. :shuffle:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ Well, I'll back your claim. :D I so remember seeing that dress on Linda F.! As soon as I saw Michelle in it my mind was saying 'where have I seen that dress before'. So if we be wrong, we can at least be wrong togethers. :lol:

15. Kevind85

Kevind85 New Member

I have a question about these costumes. How do these skaters get them? Do they belong to the federation, coaches or do the skaters themselves donate them to younger skaters?

16. Elka

Elka Active Member

They sell them.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Linda wear it, as well!
    When Michelle wore the dress, I'm sure that she had no idea that designers would soon be anxious to make costumes "just for her".

18. Vash01

At least in the USA, I am pretty sure they belong to the skaters, although I have no proof. It's a guess.

19. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Sometimes they have the same coaches or they train at the same rink, so I guess older skaters help the youngest about costums.

20. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

I remember several younger skaters from the Canton rink wearing Tanith's old dresses, back when she and Ben were still coached by Evillegor and Marina.

21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Skaters own their own costumes.

A while ago I remember seeing Grushina/Goncharov's costumes for sale on the internet. They were asking for quite a bit of money for them. The main thing I thought is how else would anyone fit into them because she is so skinny.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Linda wore that petal dress at one of the World Pro competitions. She skated her artistic program to Vangelis' theme for the film "Chariots of Fire" in that dress. (Well, I'm not sure if it's the exact same dress but some on the internet thinks so ;) )

23. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

24. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Jessica Dube was the first name that came to mind. I have seen her old costumes many times at Canadian Nats.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. minx

minx New Member

Jessica must have liked that dress well enough to have another one made for her singles short this year Quebec Summer Skate

26. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

Or maybe Tara gave it back when she gave Jessica her partner... :p

27. ballerynna

ballerynna New Member

A junior Chinese skater just wore a costume that copied Johnny Weir's costume. Pretty sure it's not Johnny's real costume

Lookie here

28. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

I'm not really sure, but I seem to remember something being said about these costumes worn by Don & Hunt having been reworked from costumes once used by Krylova & Ovsiannikov. Wasn't able to find a pic of K&O wearing similar costumes, however. The connection was through the U of Delaware training facility, I think.

ETA: Found them: K&O's Carmina Burana.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  29. Libertango

Libertango New Member

30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Linda wore the dress at one of the early Landover World Pros, skating an artistic program to, I think, Close Encounters. It was famous sweeping movie music by John Williams. I'm thinking mid-80s...one of Linda's last Landovers. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011