Do you (or HAVE you) toy around with playing Partnership on Ice at a Public Skate?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Mar 4, 2013.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok. I know that I have told all of you that...I toy around with playing Partnership on Ice with another Skater and imitate Ice-Dancing with them. I surely find it fun!!! So I was wondering at this point if there's anyone else on the Boards here,that Loves to do this at a Public Skate with another Skater?

2. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I do. I learned 5 or 6 of the most basic dance steps and whenever I run into any of the adult male ice dancers on a public session, we do them. In my area there are more men who want to compete at adult ice dance than women.

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I myself just find another Skater at Public Skate,and sometimes the way we turn out Ice- Dancing is like were somewhat Natual. Even if we aren't doing true Ice-Dancing. BTW. this puts something in my mind. Is it possible to actually BE Partnered-up with a Skater you tried Ice-Dancing with (and found) at a Public Skate by a Coach? Are there Teams that have actually met that way?

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I met my ice-dancing partner at learn-to-skate lessons at a public skate.

But a coach did not "find" us. We decided we wanted to work together and then had to find a coach who wanted to take us on.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

LOL,I was wondering if coaches or Rinks allow Skaters to be Partnered-up from 2 Skaters finding themselves at a Public Skate? BTW. can you be Partnered up from just a Public Skate alone? Like I go to. Or does it need to be from a Freeskate following lessons? Or both?

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

In my experience, coaches don't really care about how you and your partner met or how you decided to work together. The only time they probably would care is if there is something going on that will make the coach's work difficult, like one person being forced to skate by their parent when they would really rather be doing something else. The only other thing that might make a difference is your skill level: for example, if you are beginner-level skaters and the coach prefers to work with more experienced skaters.

With my partner, we didn't know each other before, and we both signed up for the same series of learn-to-skate lessons. We were the only two adults in the class, so we ended up spending a lot of time working on the same things. When the class ended, we decided we wanted to keep skating, but there weren't any advanced lessons for adults. The easiest way to keep skating was to join a club, but the only ice time for adults at the clubs in our area was ice dance sessions, and to go on those sessions we had to have a coach. So that's how we ended up doing ice dance together.

7. treesprite

treesprite Member

I don't really have an interest in it, but also there's no one available to do it.