Do you love your rink/coach? Thinking of moving.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Miriam246, May 8, 2010.

1. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

Hi everyone,

I live in a cold climate, and I'm hoping to move somewhere warmer. However, I really like my coach and my rink here.

I want to move somewhere with a *great rink* and *good coaches* who will care about an adult beginner.

So do any of you live somewhere warm and enjoy your rink?? I don't know where to move. A city or college town would be preferable.

By the way, I'm 23, and have been skating for 2 months. (Although I skated as a kid). As for my level, I'm somewhere between Beta 2 and Freestyle 1.

Please let me know. Thanks so much!
    Miriam

2. LLOS

LLOS New Member

Hmmm...you want to move to any country with a good rink/coaches? ;)

Well, yes I absolutly love my rink, it is warm and high quality. My coach is the best, would never want to move or change coaches. I don't know if Germany is called "warm" :p

3. southernskater

southernskater New Member

I love my coaches and my rink, but its in a very cold place as well and I don't know of any adults at my rink. I saw an ad in Skating Magazine for a new rink in Florida and I think it was this one

http://www.incredibleice.com/

I can't tell from the site how adult friendly they are, but it looks really nice and its Florida ;)

4. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

LLOS~ I guess I should clarify that I would like to stay in the US :)

southernskater~ thank you for the link! I'm going to look into that!

5. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Well, my state (Massachusetts) isn't warm all year round, but my rink is very very adult friendly and the bonus is the rink itself is super warm. :)

6. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

Hey Stormy~

Thanks for getting back to me. MA would be too cold for me, but it's good to hear you enjoy your rink -- *and* that it's adult friendly :)

I don't quite know how to go about my search for rinks who are good and adult-friendly....And also in a warm climate.

If anyone has any ideas for how to search, feel free to let me know.

7. southernskater

southernskater New Member

What makes a rink adult friendly?? The rink I'm at now is mostly kids like most rinks are, but I know that coaches teach adults and I've seen a couple adults on the lunch time sessions. I couldn't imagine a (most of the) coach (es) turning down a student that wanted to learn and they had the time to fit them in. Does that make my rink adult friendly? Or is it a big group of adult skaters?? I'm just curious since I am very intrested in joining the adult ranks when I'm a little older.

8. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

southernskater~ Good question. Really, I just want to find a coach who will actually care about my progress, even though I'm not any kind of young/up-and-coming skater.

More adults skating at the same rink would be awesome, of course, but I definitely don't need that. That would just be a nice bonus.

I'm sure most coaches wouldn't turn down private lessons. And my current coach is great. I just want to move somewhere warm, and continue skating and improving.

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Washington FSC (numerous rinks in suburban Maryland and Virginia) and Atlanta FSC both host large all-adult competitions each year, so the general culture of the club is adult friendly.

DC can get cold in the winter, but most of the year it's pretty warm.

Atlanta is the South. I've never lived there, but I'm sure it's warmer.

10. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

It's actually the Georgia FSC that hosts the Peach Classic. I know they have a number of very very friendly adult skaters and their rinks are nice. I LOVE Atlanta and I'd live there in a heartbeat although the traffic is insane. :)

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

How about southern California? There are many rinks and many adult skaters.

12. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

Hmm...Atlanta. Never been there. Never really considered it, but maybe I should think about it more. gkelly and Stromy, thanks!

13. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

Stormy~ What about Atlanta do you like so much? I'm just curious. I don't know a ton about Atlanta. (The only place in Georgia I've been to is Savannah).