Do you know this character?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Christina, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

So I'm trying to prove my husband wrong. He thinks that the all-knowing FSU won't be able to help me. I'm trying to identify this character bank. I think it looks like old-school Cookie Monster from Sesame Street, but I'll be darned if I can find anything else online that looks like this.

It's marked 1971, Play Pal Plastics Inc. I've googled it and googled it and I know this company made Disney piggy banks, but this doesn't look like any Disney character I know.

Yes, I'm putting it on ebay, and I'm being shameless about picking y'all's brains:slinkaway:

2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

That's what I was thinking - Grover.

4. agalisgv

::high fives Southpaw::

We know our Sesame Street stuff :smokin:

5. znachki

znachki Active Member

I don't think it's Grover. It's teasing my mind, but I can't quite pull it out.....

can you take another pictudure from a lower angle?

6. Southpaw

It's definitely not Cookie Monster, he wouldn't be carrying a flower.

But Grover would.

7. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Another vote for Grover.

8. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I was thinking Grover, but there isn't a big pink nose, and the eyes are wrong.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I searched online for sesame street character banks. Only one that looks remotely like it is a cookie monster one. But not identical. Lots of references to bank savings/financial institutions teaching finances to kids so perhaps a special one developed for a particular bank?

10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

It's not a character. It was a promotional set for Traveler's Insurance bank. They didn't have names.

I think the whole purpose was to scare people into putting money into a bank instead of those things.

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

12. znachki

znachki Active Member

I don't think that the folks at either Henson of CTW would've let one of their characters be done so poorly, and I don't think that Playpal would've done such a poor job either. I keep seeing a Sat am kids show in my brain, but can't quite get a handle on it. The flower in the stomach is a clue, because I think that there were several different characters kind of like it.

13. Southpaw

I dunno, I kind of remember tons of crap like this when I was a kid that kinda-sorta looked like familiar characters. Just enough to make them feel like the characters, but not enough to provoke the payment of licensing fees. Not that I knew anything about licensing fees back then. I was very young and innocent and knew nothing about IP lawyers.

14. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

It is a rather unattractive object. :shuffle:

You got the fake Barbies, too, huh?

15. agalisgv

just curious, but is it really necessary to identify the character for an online auction? you could say it bears a resemblance to grover or cookie monster, but you aren't sure if it's really an official version of a sesame street character.

16. Southpaw

Oh yeah.

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

It's not necessary but if you can honestly say it is an official Sesame Street character, especially an early one, then the item may make more money.

18. agalisgv

^^^well, i wouldn't make such a representation in an online auction because then one could be charged with misrepresentation. without documentation, it wouldn't be wise to make such as assertion imo, and just getting feedback from an online message board wouldn't be sufficient documentation in my book.

but that's me...

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I doubt Christina would make such a claim based on our info alone. I'm sure she's just as ethical as you. Sheesh.

20. agalisgv

You're a tad prickly today :shuffle:

And I have no doubts about Christina's ethical character btw ;)

ETA: Here's something for you

21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I wish you would have seen the lamp featured at Home Despot about ten years ago -- it featured Disney's heretofore unknown Petulant Princesses -- one looked preggo and annoyed at the prince responsible, one was cross-eyed, and the other just scowled. I'm sure it was bad painting in China and a less-than-wonderful design, but it was an official licensed Disney product. (A bit to much $ for a joke, but I really was tempted.)

22. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

HR Puff and Stuff? Grover?

23. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Tammy dolls! One of more traumatic childhood memories.

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Definitely not a CTW product, ESPECIALLY not from the '70s (they were if anything a LOT nastier about controlling what was produced at the time as they were a lot more dependent on getting government funding--now, "Congress wants to kill Big Bird!" is a completely empty threat as their merchandising is worth millions.) Knockoff? Most probably.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think it's Grover or Cookie Monster - scroll down on this page for more angles:
    http://www.garitto.com/product/12045901

And here's someone else selling one:
    http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/pets...onster-holding-flowers-1971_120714655001.html

Couldn't find any other Sesame Street characters by this company, so my guess is it's just a random monster. I vaguely recall that monsters were "in" back then thanks to Sesame Street and some other kids shows - I remember my mom actually sewed little fuzzy monsters for me and my sister. Would make sense that toy manufacturers would get on the trend and do their own version.

26. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

:rofl: Now that sounds like my kind of Disney Princess movie.

Anyhow, another vote for "Looks like a knockoff meant to resemble the Sesame Street characters."

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I vaguely remember that character from some Sat. morning kids show that wasn't very good. No way I can name him though.

28. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like anything from Sesame Street. It's eyes look like two sliced boiled eggs... :lol:

29. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I must be losing my search engine mojo. I didn't find this at all!

The company actually did some licensed characters for Disney, which made me think they *might* not have done knock offs at that time. Again, I'm losing my search engine skills to have not found this!

Think, think :rollin:!

Once again, you all have proven to my husband that FSU is a font of knowledge. I think I'll just list it as a "monster" vintage piggy bank. It always amazes me what people will buy!