Do you have to be a competitive Test Skater to join a Skating Club?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Jul 25, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok. I went Skating today and picked up the paper that talks about what you get by becoming a Member of my Rink. My question is...is that only for serious competitive Skaters? Or is it something were I could just walk in,tell them I wanted to become a Member,and I could sign up by just someone who uses the Rink?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It may depend on the club. My club allows anyone...even if you don't skate at all. A special skater (special Olympic eligible) gets free membership, but that is not common.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Most clubs will let anyone join. There may be different levels of membership. My club has a cheaper membership for skaters who don't test or compete. Read that paper and check out the list of what members get. If there's nothing that you would use, then it's not worth it for you to spend the money to join.

4. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

most of the clubs allow everyone to be a member. It helps support the club.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Most clubs will allow anyone to join.

6. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

If you don't compete or test clubs have a "social membership" which is normally about half the price and allows you to go to all the club parties. It doesn't include club ice though.

7. Skittl1321

Club parties? What kind of things does your club do?

8. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

My club is always desperate for volunteers to work at test sessions, competitions and to monitor freestyle sessions. Plus clubs always need money. I can't believe any club would turn away a dues paying member whether you skate or not. If you volunteer (it doesn't require any experience) they would think you are an angel.

9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

My first club was really small but they still had seasonal parties with snacks & food at the rink. Once a year they would have a banquet at a fancy place and present awards. If you join a bigger club they may even have more activities than that.

10. Skittl1321

Interesting. I don't know if my current club does anything like that at all. I know my former club had an after-show party and an end of year banquet.