Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Oct 19, 2013.

?

Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

1. No...We Get One Life and One Life Only

45 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Yes, For Sure!!

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm With PeterG (100% Undecided)

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

I have to say, Simone, that your story almost literally made my hair stand on end. Multiple waves of goosebumps while reading it. Some questions, if I may:

-how did you know that the nurse was an evil entity? Did she look or sound out of the ordinary, or was it just a feeling?

-similarly with regard to the angelic presence, did you see something, or was it just a felt presence?

-do you think there was any particular reason why this experience came to you, rather than some other experience (e.g. the tunnel of light)?

-were you religiously inclined before this experience? Looking back upon it, how do you think this experience affected either your spiritual views, or your attitudes toward living?

Let me assure you that I am asking these questions in a serious way, because I am genuinely interested in learning more about this rather extraordinary experience.

2. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

For the first question, I didn't know why the evil entity disguised itself as a nurse until after I came out of the coma. The evil entity looked almost exactly like one of my night nurses. At first, I thought that maybe it was just a dream I had while in the coma. But I remembered what the evil entity looked like before it took the disguise of the nurse. The evil entity appeared to be a dark figure and with what looked almost like a dark-hooded cape around her. She had a husky deep throated sort of voice that was very eerie. When the entity realized I could see it's true appearance, it quickly disguised itself to look like the nurse that was in the room with me.

The weird thing was that I didn't remember seeing the night nurse while I was in the coma. I only noticed the resemblance after I came out of the coma. I feel maybe the night nurse must have been in the room with me during the time I was supposed to die, and I believe the entity made itself look like her in order to fool me. The night nurse was actually wonderful and took good care of me.

Regarding the angelic presence, I saw what looked like very bright light surrounding the angel and I felt the angel jerk or grab me to get me away from the dark entity.

I don't know why I didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but my stepsister experienced nearly the same thing as I did. She told me she was also having to fight the entity, and then the angelic presence intervened like it did with me.

Regarding my religion, I am Baptist. I don't strictly believe everything or go exactly by just the Baptist religion. My dad was Catholic before he married my mom, and I do have beliefs of the Catholic religion also.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm really enjoying the discussion in this thread. As equally respectful as it is insightful. Thank you everyone! :respec:

Is it common for those who believe in reincarnation to believe that the movement (so to speak) is for a spirit to move from a bug to an animal to a human, etc.? Sometimes I wonder if the trend is the other way and after making it through humanhood, one "graduates" to being a dog or cat (a being who gets to live a much simpler life and be care for by others while giving back unconditional love) and maybe then "graduate" to being a flower or a weeping willow where one can just relax and be calm and enjoy the sun and rain and simply be a source of beauty for others to enjoy. :)

I feel that everything we do affects everyone around us who witnesses what we do. We affect people positively or negatively, depending on our actions. You mention atoms and I feel I think similarly to you, but instead of atoms it's energy that is dispersed. But we don't have to wait until we die, the effect we have is immediate. And our energy does become a part of other people and variations of our energy passed on to others...get passed on to other people and so on and so on. So I believe we will all live eternally in some way. Am I sounding really flightly? :lol:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Simone, I believe your experience. A friend of mine who was also near death experience told us how 'he could see his body on the operating table' and white light around him. There will always be some things which cannot be explained by science.

If I am to be reincarnated as an animal in my next life, I want to be a dog like Gunther VI!:D

Some people exudes positive energy whereas some suck the life out of us. Someone just posted this on my FB: Be Someone You Want To Be Around! :)

Very! :saint:

5. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

One of my biology teachers explained the cycle of life. There are actual processes that recycle everything biological, so we are literally all interrelated and dependent on the earth and other beings. He was very charismatic and it was The coolest thing when he explained it. Like a good sermon. Maybe someone posted it on YouTube now. I'll have to check.

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. But what happens to your soul?

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'd make a sucky flower. My mind would be going a million miles a minute and I'd be all "I'm BORED! Give me something to do!!" :lol:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  8. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

From what I know of Hinduism and Buddhism, you "graduate" when you've reached enlightenment. Enlightenment is a state of being where you are able to detach yourself from your "sufferings" (dukkha). When you've reached this state, you are free from the cycle of life and death.

Not everybody believe in the existence of souls :p

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

No. And 'in some way' is at the crux of the matter. Even if we are buried, we feed the worms as part of the food chain. I like the idea of reincarnating much better. But if reincarnation does happen, you won't remember who you were in your last life. Seems to me that some people have glimmers or flashbacks, but for the most part, you won't be the self in your next incarnation. So, enjoy this soul while you've got it, I guess.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Is there actually a soul? I don't think so. I think that is simply another notion made up by humans to make us feel special and set us apart from other animals.

11. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I've always thought all living creatures have a soul. It's like a spiritual manifestation of the heart. As in, it's what we think of is the heart, but actually the heart is just a muscle, part of the body/machine, and the soul is what makes us alive spiritually, connects us etc.

12. Wyliefan

But if we didn't have souls, where would the impulse to feel special and want to be set apart from the other animals come from in the first place?

13. BigB08822

Why does one have to have a soul to feel any of that? We have extremely complex brains that can see and feel things that aren't even there.

14. Wyliefan

What I'm saying is, you don't see other animals postulating a belief in the soul. Only humans.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow. At the beginning I was thinking that this was going to very hokey but with each minutes I became more :eek: Great link Buzz, thanks!

Thanks! :)

Your post made me think about how some atheists I know live rather selfless lives, who live their lives in a way that some might call "Christ-like". (But probably not those atheists themselves!) :lol: On the flip side, I posted somewhere on FSU a while back (or in this thread?? :confused:) that there are some U.S. politicians who say they are Christian, but their actions to me seem the exact opposite of the loving teachings I'm aware of that Jesus Christ wanted for people to live by.

16. BigB08822

I think that has much more to do with our brains than any soul. We have brains that make us capable of such complex thoughts that we are able to think about our own existence and also to realize our place on the food chain. We aren't just at the top, we KNOW we are at the top and can think about what that means. A soul really has nothing to do with that and I am not sure I have ever head anyone say it does.

I agree that other animals don't postulate about a belief in a soul but I don't understand what that has to do with anything. Does believing in a soul give you a soul? That is a logical fallacy but I can't remember the name for it.

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

That comes from the brain.

To think we are better than all other living creatures is folly.

No. We are talking about 'belief' and 'faith', not logic.

That said, things do happen that defy logic and enough people have had supernatural experiences to suggest that there might be more to our lives than we know.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What Tinami said. I understand that people need something to hold on to, something to believe in, to find comfort in, to wake up every day for and all that, but why not make that thing something that actually exists. :shuffle:

All of which can be explained rationally.

http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Research/near-death experiences.htm

Yes, we are still very far from understanding how exactly our brains work. ;)

19. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

But we don't know whether dogs wonder if they've got a soul or not...we have a long way to go in understanding all living things, not just ourselves. And there are some things we'll never know. I choose to believe all living things have a soul, I see it as the "thing" that helps us all (living things, not just humans) connect etc.

20. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I agree with angelskates. Though dolphins rather than dogs came to mind first since they have documented communication skills. And I think whatever "life force" humans have, animals have also. So if humans have an after life, so do animals.

21. Skittl1321

Have you often eavesdropped on communication between other animals? I have no idea if they talk with each other about this or not. All I know is they don't talk to me about it.

22. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you, and I'm very interested in reading those books. My stepsister nearly died from Pneumonia about 5 years ago. She never discussed her near-death experience until after I told her about mine. I realized our near-death experiences were similar when she told me that she had to also fight an evil entity.

Regarding souls. IMHO, I definitely believe we have souls especially since this evil entity was trying to take mine.

23. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Squirrels? Mice? Ants? Bed bugs? What about plants? And what about protozoa and bacteria, which aren't animals but are nevertheless living things?

You cannot say that either a kind of animal can communicate with others of its kind, or else it can't. Some animals, such as the examples you've given, have quite complex communication skills, as do primates, but animals further down the chain also have some of these skills to a lesser extent.

Where are you going to draw the line? Or aren't you going to draw it at all?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Skittl1321

Religions that believe in reincarnation believe all these things are part of the cycle.

Since the idea of a life force is not something proveable, there is no reason to not include them.

25. BigB08822

I was talking about logic, thanks very much. I was pointing out that it looked like Wyliefan was awfully close to a common logical fallacy. That is all.

26. Wyliefan

Well, I will say that I would not be surprised if cats are plotting world domination. :cat: (I like cats, but I still wouldn't be surprised!)

BigB08822, I think I see what you're saying -- that I was engaging in circular reasoning? I can see how it might have come across that way, but that wasn't quite how I meant it. :) What I was trying to say is this: We look around at the animal kingdom and observe that in some ways (e.g., thought processes and communication) we humans function at a higher level than the rest of the animal kingdom. It might not be unreasonable, then, to say that we do have something that sets us apart. That's all.

If I might backtrack just a moment, I came across something in my morning reading that summarized Christianity much more elegantly than I did the other day:

"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself [in the sense that He offers us eternal life in heaven]. That is the formula. That is Christianity." This is C. S. Lewis in Mere Christianity, and I think it's especially valuable in the context of our discussion, because in that book he was attempting to examine what the various Christian denominations have in common. He goes on to say that there are different ways of understanding and interpreting this, but that the basics of Christ's death and atonement are at the heart of it all.

27. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

It might not be unreasonable and I think it is something people may believe regardless of whether they believe in souls or what their religious beliefs are.

There are animals like other primates and dolphins who seem to have a high level of intelligence, but I don't really think there's much indication that dogs, while quite intelligent among living beings, spend time thinking about whether they have souls and developing theories about reincarnation or the after life.

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Maybe we can learn something from them. :)

29. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I know I do. :dog:

30. Wyliefan

If my three Shelties were any indication, dogs think about 1. food; 2. sleep; 3. walking/running; 4. more food. :) I miss my doggies.