Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Oct 19, 2013.

Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

1. No...We Get One Life and One Life Only

45 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Yes, For Sure!!

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm With PeterG (100% Undecided)

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've been thinking of doing this thread for a while and today on facebook, somebody posted this video:

Labrador and Dolphin swim together

We see things like this with people as well as animals at times, two individuals who should have no connection, but go against all regular thinking and form a connection even though everyone around is scratching their head. Watching this video I wondered, "is it possible they lived a past life with one another and come hell or high water, they were going to find each other again and form a connection". Or are these types always 100% random? "Exceptions to the rule."

Wikipedia entry on reincarnation

So I'm curious as to what other people think about past lives and reincartion. I am definitely 100% completely unsure. :lol: I think it's a great/nice idea, but I simply just don't know what to think. How about you?

orientalplane, Gypsy, Vash01 and 3 others like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yes I do. It is the Hindu in me. LOL

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know someone who supplements his living by telling celebs they used to be George Washington/Cleopatra/Shakespeare.

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

and this is part of the reason why i dont believe people who say they lived before. no one ever says, "i used to empty chamber pots."

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl: Too true.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Seriously, the books on this topic by Dr. Brian Weiss are outstanding.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I voted no, but "one life only" doesn't strictly fit my views. I believe in an afterlife.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Donno. I still haven't got flashbacks of me being a royalty in ancient times or a chicken in a coop.
    But I like to use 'afterlife' to scare my mates. Yeah, do evil and you will be reincarnated as a chicken.:D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  9. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I did a "past life regression" with a friend. What little info i gleaned from the alleged hypnosis, was of a young male working in a cold stone mill or something like that. Hard labor. It was dreary. But really I think that was my mind mimicking how I felt about my job at the time, except the hard labor part. The regressionist was way more bummed than I was that I didn't get some fabulous revelation from the whole thing. But I was the one out $90.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I definitely do not believe in any past lives or any after life. This is something we just make up to try and make the idea of death easier to accept. It is easier to accept death if we think we go on to a new life, even possibly here on Earth. It is just a coping mechanism, IMO.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

In my 20's, a friend of mine recommended a lady who did regressions. I remember sitting on a reclining chair and her asking me questions and nothing was coming to me. I was open to seeing what there was to see, but I was the one paying, so I wasn't going to do anything. You're the one in charge, lady. She asked questions and I waited for something magical to happen. Nothing did. So once I got just past the point of feeling awkward, I just started making **** up. I realized later that the shoemaker or whoever I was would have lived until a few years after I was born. :lol:

For the most part I agree with you, but I wonder if our energy or soul or whatever you want to call it could re-form someway, somehow as some other entity. It's tough to explain. I'm not spiritual at all, but the idea that we get buried and that's the end is somewhat dissatisfying. :D Is dissatisfying a word? :rofl:

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  12. spikydurian

PeterG and Snoopy, you have been conned! Can't believe you want to 'know what's your past life'. What were you all hoping to discover? That you might have hidden a pot of gold coins in your past life? :p

A friend (who is by nature diplomatic and patient) was constantly 'harassed' by a group of ardent students telling him that his afterlife would be full of good people if he believed in them. Driven to impatience, he finally told them that he's a bad guy who loved bad stuff so afterlife full of bad stuff was just fine. They finally left him alone (to rot in afterlife). ;)

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I believe in reincarnation simply because so many people have had experiences that support it. For example, a friend's daughter knew her way very well around a strange mall in a strange city.

That said, I don't know if everyone reincarnates, or reincarnates as a person. The basic idea of energy reforming could explain reincarnation, but maybe there needs to be a lot of energy, or will to live, for a person to reincarnate.

I've also met a few people who claim to have seen ghosts. Though I've never seen one myself, I've no reason not to believe them. One of the people (met very long ago) also had visions, or foretelling abilities, and saw things like her husband's death before it happened. Again, I had no reason not to believe her.

14. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I want to know what I did in a past life to deserve such a sucky one this time around. :slinkaway

15. spikydurian

You didn't enough good to collect brownie points? Not too late.:p

16. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

One life only.. :(

I would love for reincarnation to be true though... To be able to live again in the future, I guess one can only dream :p

17. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

The human brain is a strange and wonderful thing. I don't know if I believe in reincarnation. I am religious and a Christian, and I believe in life after death, but who's to say that God (however you wish to describe Him/Her) doesn't say, "OK, that was a nice try. Want to give it another go-how about being an Eskimo this time?" Makes as much sense to me as anything else. In fact, giving us a chance to improve seems like a pretty godly thing. I don't know that I believe in it.

HOWEVER...when I started playing the piano at age 7, I was immediately infatuated with the late 18th century. The clothing, the furniture, the music. It seemed to....not familiar but just comforting beyond what art usually gives. Maybe just my imagination. But I have been obsessed with the era of about 1780 to 1830 all my life. When I was 11, I became infatuated with the American Revolution....and chose to be a Loyalist! I've been studying the war and several British figures in it all my life-I'm 64. Maybe it's just a fun hobby. Who knows? I have had the tour guide at the Cowpens Battlefield in upstate SC tell me I'm the reincarnation of Banastre Tarleton, but I thought that was pretty funny!

18. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

So if it can be 'proven' that, in a previous life you were criminal 'X', society should hold you criminally responsible and put you on trial?

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that would be a great movie/book plot

20. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

If I believed in God, I'd think pretty much the samething. That God is all-knowing and all-powerful and anything and everything that does exist or could exist would be His work. And that God would be all-loving, so if He felt that some people getting multiple chances to experience...whatever (anything, really) then that is what would be. And God would be all-secure, so He would not care at all if anyone ever questioned Him. As often as they so wished. :D I also think that if God's will was for some to lead multiple lives, it wouldn't always necessarily be because they did something wrong. Maybe through an accident, or even sacrificing one's self when another was in mortal danger, etc. someone died too early of a death and God granted them another opportunity. He's all-powerful. He's allowed that! :lol:

Maybe in your past life you weren't able to accept that you have what it takes to make so much out of your life through hard work and determination and you're back again to embrace this?

:p

21. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I've never had any "past life" experiences but I had a strong sense of deja vu when visiting an excavated Roman villa in Germany 20+ years ago. I felt as tho I'd been there before & played as a child on the grounds. This was my one & only visit to Germany .

22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Back in the 1100's, when I was a shaman in the Arctic, I used to believe in reincarnation. Now, however, I think the whole idea is too silly for words.

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I see your point -- but on the other hand, the heart of Christianity is accepting that Christ did the work for us and offers us our salvation freely, not that we have to improve. So that kind of works against the "chance to improve" idea.

It TOTALLY would! I'd read that book (assuming that it came from an author who did a good job with the idea!).

24. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I have a mathematical problem with reincarnation. Right now, there are more people alive than have ever been in the combined history of humans on this planet. So, where, did all these extra souls come from? Scientologists? Extinct animals? (Though returned prehensile animals in human form would certainly explain some of my exes).

25. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I'd like to come back as a fly on PeterG's wall. The one he swats at but always misses. :D

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That's an interesting way to think about it.

I always wondered what drives people to be interested/talented in something. Why am I a designer? Why do I love figure skating? Why am I interested in this or that historical event? I'm irreligious so to me, it's not "god's gift". Perhaps I got some "reformed energy" that was a pond skater in the 1800s.

27. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Does reincarnation presume that everyone has been reincarnated and no one is new? Don't the souls have to start from somewhere? Or did they all exist in "the beginning". I know there is also the idea that you are no longer reincarnated once you achieve perfection, so they also stop at some point.

If there are a finite number of souls, I suppose it could be extinct animals, bacteria from the beginning of time, etc. But are there more insects now than there were in the past? Because every living thing is in the cycle, not just humans.

I don't know anything about the after-life, if there is one. I don't believe or not believe in reincarnation. I live my life in a way I deem is good, but I don't do it to be rewarded with a better next life whether it be on earth or elsewhere.

28. duane

duane New Member

My vote...in the words of the Lou Rawls song, you've only got one life to live.

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by Egypt and the pyramids, etc. That interest hasn't continued through to adulthood, at least not to the same level. In the last five to ten years, I've watched a lot of movies with a Jewish theme, to the point where I say to myself, "stop watching so many of those movies" (partly because there's lots of different types of movies out there and partly because it can be upsetting, depending on the plot/story). But then another Jewish-themed movie ends up in my hands and I have to watch it! :lol: And now I'm reading a book about the history of Israel. So I wonder if there is a connection greater other than relating to a fellow persecuted group (as a gay man). Don't know if I will ever know, but it's interesting to think about.

I did it at a time when I was exploring and curious and just wanted to try something out. A friend had recommended the lady I saw, so I thought I'd give it a show. I went to see a palm reader once also. Have never done either thing again. And I wasn't expecting or even hoping to find any hidden treasure. :lol: Just to see if these things could illuminate life in any way for me. But they did not... :(

I think there's a statute of limitations for that one! :D

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have always had a fascination with the Jewish culture and the Holocaust. I think it stems from the fact that when I was little I was convinced that my grandmother was a Holocaust survivor. I have no idea why, she isn't even old enough, nor is she Jewish, nor has she lived anywhere else besides the U.S. :lol: I had a best friend in elementary school who was Jewish and I loved going to Temple with her family and going to their place during Jewish holidays.