Do you believe in anything Paranormal? Ghosts, Aliens, premonitions, etc?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by triple_toe, Oct 1, 2010.

1. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

So, since it is the 1st of October (Halloween coming up!), and I am watching Ghost Whisperer at the moment, I thought this would be a fun thread to have.

What are your thoughts on things that are paranormal or unexplained? Have you ever seen a Ghost or an Alien? Had a premonition? Do you think exorcisms are real? Or werewolves, angels, faeries, and yetis? Do you believe in any of it or think it's all hooey?

I am of the opinion that Aliens must exist. Maybe not in the form of little green men running around, but I think that statistically it makes sense for there to be some form of life out there. However, I'm doubtful that we will ever come into contact with them, and I'm extremely skeptical of abduction stories.

I tend to believe in ghosts as well... I think. Again, not Ghost Whisperer type apparitions that you can talk to and interact with, but more like imprints left in places that have very strong emotions, like battlefields or sites of gruesome murders. I can't say that I have ever had any personal experiences, though.

So please share! I must admit ghost stories and the like are a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I definitely don't believe all of them. I think whether you believe in the paranormal or not, it can be fun to speculate and possibly give yourself a bit of a scare. :watch:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I used to but now I am not so sure. If aliens and ghost etc. were real, with all the electronic gadgets and such around these days, wouldn't someone have gotten solid proof of such by now? However my mom believes firmly in ghosts. She claims the house her famil purchased and moved into when she was a child had a ghost in one of the rooms. That room was never used as long as they lived in that house.

3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I don't know about ghosts and aliens but I have had a lot of dreams about people I haven't heard from in awhile and then the next day they call. Kinda weird.

4. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm sure there are forces we don't know about...but I'm not going to say yes or no definitively until there's evidence that backs it up. I always say anything is possible. As for Aliens, there has to be some other life forms out in the universe. It's too expansive for there not to be. When it comes to Aliens I often wonder about something being kept from us by the Gov't, because it would cause an uproar if we actually made contact. Who knows. I like to think about it sometimes, and I hope that we make contact with an Alien race(that's hopefully friendly-ish) some day, but in the bigger picture I try not to get too far out with the possibilities. Better to let the known facts speak for themselves until something proves otherwise.

5. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Yes to all of the above and more

6. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Nope. Just God.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I do believe there is alien life out there, doesn't mean it is little green men but some kind of life is out there. I do not believe in ghosts. They can supposedly move objects, make noises only decipherable with the volume up really loudly but somehow they can't leave a note? I don't think so. Besides, by now we would have found some kind of proof. Premonitions? Absolutely, I think I have them from time to time but it could also be a really big coincidence. Mine aren't about anything important, just about mundane things that happen.

8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I am not sure that I would call them ghosts, but the spirits of loved ones certainly have been there for me. My grandma, my good friend, my daughter are among the guardian angels that I have.

I do believe that there are many things that we can not understand and that there must be life elsewhere in the universe. I believe in God, actually a very strong belief, but I can not see out of millions and billions of stars/etc. that we are the only people in the universe.

9. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I agree with numbers 100%.

10. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I believe anything's possible.

But premonitions, definitely. We all have them. Of course, some of us listen more than others.

11. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Yes to ghosts, aliens and sasquatch.

12. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

No, and I hope I won't. :lol:

Too many times to count. I wouldn't consider that a paranormal thing, though. I believe our brain is able to read many signals and cues that we're not consciously aware of.

Dreams are a little harder to rationalize. My favorite (that I can remember right now at least) would be a dream about my last entrance exam to a university. When I walked into that room and everything was almost exactly the same, including the people in there, I knew I was in.

I don't know but I'm rather skeptical about it.

I don't believe in that.

Oh you're talking about energy? I do believe that places and things retain energy. I'm rather sensitive to it myself as well as energy from other people. That's why some people tire me rather fast. :p

I once described a New Year's Eve party I spent in an apartment where someone's grandfather murdered someone (which I didn't know at the time). I was absolutely aware of an extra energy in the room. It wasn't a bad feeling, but very persistent. I could pinpoint it to a particular space. We were all sitting around a table (quite a few people) and at first I thought someone went to the bathroom or to get something, like you know someone in the house but you can't see them. When I started freaking people out I stopped mentioning it and just kept counting people quietly and they were all a the table. Yet I had a feeling there was something in the corner behind me.

They told me about the murder after that. In the morning I was alone, in bed, it was still dark. A huge balcony door opened and the curtains started to fly up and down. I don't like big pieces of fabrics moving like that, especially the noise they make. I was rather uncomfortable at that point, but I made myself get out of the bed and close the door. I went to another room and turned a stereo on. I felt like someone was there, but nothing really happened after that.

The most unexplainable thing that ever happened to me, though, was a regression session my friend gave me once. I don't really believe in that stuff so I don't know how to explain it. But I saw things, I heard things, I felt things, and yet I was always aware I was safe in that room with my friend. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced and I'm very glad I did it, but I never wanted to do it again. It's supposed to take you back to the trauma of your previous deaths or something like that, and obviously it's not fun, especially if you died violently. I don't know if I went back to my "previous" lives or it was just a trick on my brain, but it did feel very real. I've never taken any drugs but it's probably like that with some of them.

13. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I definitely believe in spiritual beings here on earth. Whether you call them angels, demons, ghosts, whatever. I also think that there's A LOT about the universe that we don't know about and never will.

14. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I guess I believe in most of what you listed. Fairies, Sasquatch/Yetis, and guardian angels are a yes. Not sure about Werewolves, but I consider it a possibility. My mother is Native American and I've grown up hearing stories about shape shifters, little people and the like, so my mind is very open to most supernatural possibilites.

I don't believe in a single all powerful god. I'm more inclined towards polytheistic concepts. I like the idea that there are like, tree and river spirits, and all that jazz.

I definitely believe in the exist of aliens. The universe is ginormous and it just doesn't make sense that we're the only intelligent life out there.

One thing I don't believe in, at least in the Catholic concept, is hell and heaven. I don't believe in in the devil or his legion of demons. I prefer an ancient Greek-like idea of an underworld that everyone goes to and you are given a judgement based on your behavior in life. It's not a black and white thing, Good=Heaven and Bad=Hell.

Okay, I'm stop blathering on now. :D

15. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I believe that weird things happen and that the explanation is probably something even weirder.

Can you imagine how difficult trying to explain electricity- making things move with little particles that can't be seen- would be to someone in medieval times. People would think you were insane. And the first scientists to study vacuum were ridiculed.

The Fermi Paradox makes me not believe in Aliens.

16. BigB08822

I don't think it is surprising at all that we haven't contacted or been contacted (that we know of) by extraterrestrial life. First of all, life is not necessarily intelligent. Perhaps we are the only intelligent life in the universe? I doubt it but life may not be so advanced other places. Just this week scientists discovered another Earth like planet that orbits a star about 20 light years away. It is smack dab in the middle of the "habitable zone." It is very possible life is on that planet. Why is it so hard to believe that other life may have found us but not yet had the means to contact us? Even if we find a planet that very likely has life, if it is 20 light years away then we can not do much about it at the moment. The technology just isn't there yet. I think the assumption that all life "out there" is super smart and can travel the Universe at light speed is unrealistic and completely unfounded.

17. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Ghosts, yes, there is one in my house (built 1910). I have had many people comment wihout prompting as to exactly what I've felt/"seen" (though I don't see it head-on, I do "see" something). And my cats are totally freaked every time, without fail.

Aliens, I do believe in, but glad I haven't seen one! There is no way we're "it" and there's nothing else. However, I did see a UFO in third grade...just not the ones behind the wheel, so to speak.

My only regret with spirits is that you can't call them up on demand, like your mom or a fave pet.... :((((

18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've never seen a ghost myself but have met people who have - and I've no reason not to believe them.

Re aliens/life on other planets: Why not?

Re the paranormal: It exists but only some of us are in touch with it.

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I love watching Sylvia Browne and Jonathan Edwards. They have some kind of gift that cannot be a coincedence.

20. genegri

genegri Active Member

There is so much about the universe that we don't know.

Why are the physics laws the way they are? Is there another universe made up with another set of physics laws? Did God decide on these law? Or did it just happen to be that way? When and how did the universe start? How do we define life? Maybe a star is a life? Maybe dark energy is a life? Maybe we live in a paradox somewhere and are being observed by some other beings?

Many answers to the secrets of the universe are probably some that none of us can imagine right now.

I don't know what to believe so I keep an open mind.

21. Avid Lurker

Avid Lurker New Member

I don't know what I believe, but I know what I've seen and heard. My husband, my dog and I have all heard the sound of our cat, who died two years ago after almost 20 years with us, jumping off his favourite bookcase. It is a very distinctive and unmistakeable two-beat "ka-thud" followed by the tap-tap-tap of paws. I have only heard it once - my husband was there and heard exactly the same thing at the same time, and the dog also reacted. My husband has heard it on other occasions. Kitty has also pushed open our bedroom door, twice. Again my husband and I both experienced it - it wasn't just that the door opened - it was pushed with the same pressure, the same sound, the same "feeling" as the cat used. Can't explain it; don't care if others don't believe it; but I know that it happened.

22. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^^^ Several days after my 17 year old cat passed, we were eating dinner in the dining room and all 3 of us heard a loud meow! My kitty always begged at the dinner table!

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I've had several premonitions, although I like Windspirits explanation for them.

A few weeks ago though, I was thinking about a former colleague who was ill and wondering how she was doing.

Two days later, I found out that she died on the day I had been thinking about her, and a few of my colleagues had also been thinking about her that day.

I think perhaps we sense things, even if we're not aware of it.

24. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I do believe there is extraterrestrial life, though maybe not what we would consider intelligent life in the universe. In fact I think it's probable that there is undiscovered "life" (however simple) in our own solar system. It's not like we have even discovered all of our own life forms on this planet. There are new discoveries all the time we are finding in our the deepest part of our oceans.

Although I think government conspiracies covering up UFO activity make for good movies and TV, it just doesn't seem too probable.

As for ghosts/spirits, I am less sure. Physics tell us that there is the possibiity for alternate universes, so perhaps we are surrounded by all this energy we can not normally see/grasp but we are occasionally affected by it?

I'd like to believe that the world isn't going to end in 2012 as the Mayan calendar predicts... however, if that is the only way to keep Plushy away from Sochi in 2014... :p

25. dbny

dbny New Member

I do not have a superstitious bone in my body, and that extends to spirits and gods of any sort. I believe that we are what we are physically, and consciousness is an artifact of our brains, the mechanism of which we may understand in the not too distant future. When we die, we are as dead as any other living thing would be, and that is permanently dead and gone, IMO. If scientists believed in the supernatural, there would be no science, because any anomalous results would simply be written off as interference by spirits, forces, unknown energies. Instead, science seeks to explain the natural world and phenomena around us via experiments that can be replicated. There has never yet been an experiment that can replicate any supernatural event. If that should happen, then the event would no longer be supernatural, but would be explainable within the framework of science, and therefor be part of the natural world. As science has brought us the modern world we live in, replete with modern medicine and technology, I choose to believe that it works.

There is almost certainly other life in the universe, as it is huge beyond our ability to grasp, but I doubt very much that there would ever be contact with alien life - just too far away for that to happen within the span of human existence on Earth.

26. BigB08822

I believe in premonitions of sorts (especially as someone explained that it is probably us picking up on subtle clues and hints we don't realize) but I absolutely do not believe in Sylvia Browne. She is a cold reader, a fake, a hoax, a con. All of the above. She has no gift, IMO.

27. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I believe in the possibility of everything existing, however far-fetched it seems. I mean, why not?

A former co-worker once gave me a list of reasons why ghosts and other things don't exist, the chief among them being "no one can prove that they exist, even with all the technology we have." I then whipped out my thought-provoking question of,

Me: "Do you believe in God?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Then prove that He exists."

Him: "..."

But anyway, I for sure believe there are aliens, angels and ghosts (spirits). No, I haven't knowingly experienced any encounters. But I know many who have, including my step-grandmother seeing my actual grandmother on the first night being married to my grandfather. She apparently was smiling and nodding in approval at the choice he'd made.

For aliens, I also don't see how it's possible that we're the only life. All that space, all those planets, and we're it? I also think that there is undiscovered life in our solar system. No, life as we know it might not be able to live on Saturn (for example), but who's to say that there aren't species out there who are adapted to live in the conditions there? Anything is possible.

28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Ghosts, apparitions, reincarnation, etc: Yep. Seen more proof they exist than solid proof they don't. Their existence only would affect science if scientists DID in fact just write every mistake off as 'supernatural' (which is essentially what the quantum physicists do anyway--half of what they allege "exists' can't be proven except that if it didn't, their equation would be wrong, so the partical/wave/energy that they can't prove exists MUST exist, ignoring the far simpler explanation that their math and theories are wrong. Not to mention the dubious validity of any experiment where the simple fact of observing the experiment changes the results.)

As for aliens, though--I am fairly sure they exist. I do not think we have been visited, simply because the distance involved is such any race that figured out how to get that far probably has more valuable things to do with their time than cattle abductions and crop circles. If it's even possible to travel that far at all. Current physics means that seems very unlikley. So yes or no is ultimately not very relevant.

Angels, demons, etc: Jury is out for me on whether there are any facets of the supernatural that actually care about human behavior. As far as God--I accept there is an architect of the universe. I am not so sure that He is an involved deity. (Deism.) For me, anything that can create an experment on that scale has motivations which I'm unlikely to be able to comprehend anyway.

29. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

If by "paranormal" or "supernatural", you mean outside natural, the answer is no. Nature, or 'existence' means all that exists. The phenomenon you have listed has been debunked by Houdini, The Amazing Randi, not to mention Penn & Teller. One must keep an open mind, of course. But an open mind must be an active mind; it can not simply serve as to collect any driftwood that comes along.

The flaw in declaring that there are things that are not just unknown as of yet, but are in fact unknowable, is that you would have to know enough about the subject to know that in fact it is unknowable, and why that is so. But then you have contradicted yourself.

30. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I haven't been face to face with any of these things, but do I think they exist, sure. The South is a pretty superstitious place, so the possibility of these things existing doesn't seem that out there for me. Every elderly person I know has a million "ghost" stories about things that happened when they were younger. I also know people who go to see "wise" women about their ailments.