Do the moves in Ice-Dance have offical names?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, May 1, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I've always wondered about that. But DO all the moves in Ice-Dance have actual Offical names,in the same way that all the moves in Pairs do?

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Almost all the little steps and turns have official names. Most are also used in other forms of skating; a few are mostly just for ice dance. There are also names for the standard dance holds -- the way the man and the woman connect to each other with their arms.

The actual elements in the ice dance programs are different kinds of step sequences, twizzle sequence, dance spin, dance lift.

The lifts are called according to the pattern they cover over the ice: stationary, straight-line, curve, serpentine, rotational, reverse rotational; combination.

But the individual positions in the spins and lifts don't always have official names -- the teams often try to be creative there by inventing new variations on the positions.

You might find this link useful, especially the "Definitions" section:
    http://ice-dance.com/reference/58-ice-dance-term-dictionary

Here's another glossary with definitions of terms:
    http://iceskatingresources.org/DanceGlossary.html

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Some are used in other forms of Skating? Canyou explain?

4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I saw the link to the Grossary of Dance Terms. I can't make out what the letters before the Deffernitions mean. BTW. does anyone know the name for Lynn and Logan's Sign. move? Were the Male puts one are around the Girls waist,and the other on her extended arm? Here is a pic. http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/130718053

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

All the turns such as twizzles, rockers, brackets, three turns, Mohawks, etc, progressives and chasses are all common throughout skating.

Dancers perform dance/pairs spins as well.

What moves we're you thinking of with regard to this question? As gkelly said dancers tend to stay in hold which all have names such as killian, waltz, tango hold.

6. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

In this picture, Lynn and Logan are in Kilian position. This is a basic ice dance hold. In the US, dancers learn this hold for their very first dance, the Dutch Waltz. Lynn has her free arm extended, but she could also place it on top of Logan's hand on her hip.

7. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Do we have a pic. of Lynn's arm there too,in that move? Can you show the difference? BTW. wee did the name Kilin come from?

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The name of the hold comes from the ice dance named the Kilian. The hold is the body position that the dancers have when they do that dance.

I am not sure, but I believe the name of the dance may have come from the name of a piece of music that the dance was originally performed to.

9. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Never heard of it. Can you post a pic.?

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Post a picture of the dance? A still photograph wouldn't show anything special or different about the dance, and you've said you can't view video online....so I'm not sure what you're asking for a photo of.
    The picture that you linked to shows the Kilian hold.

11. Clarice

Clarice Active Member