Do famous Skaters get picked up or go with their Parents after a Competition?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Dec 12, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I'm sure that a good majority of them don't..But ARE there some famous Skaters that actually DO get picked up OR go with their Parents after a Competition?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Mirai Nagasu didn't drive until recently. I imagine that when she did local competitions in the summer (most elite skaters do 1 or 2 to prepare for the upcoming season) her Mom drove her afterwards. She drove her to all her practices.

For the big competitions, there are shuttle buses that take them from the rink to the hotel, so the skaters won't be picked up by their parents- but many many skaters travel with their parents, who want to be there to watch them, so you might see them having lunch together or something. Some parents go to the international competitions- but that can be very expensive, because USFSA does not pay for the parent to attend.

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Yes. One mom explained it this way. Sure her daughter can drive, but if mom drives the daughter can do reading for school, study, etc. She just gets more hours in the day when mom takes the wheel and her daughter isn't distracted.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I would also think that at the elite level the parents would want to be very involved with the training. It is a lot of money, there is potential for catastrophic injury, and because of all of the politics with the club and USFSA.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

What about Ashley Wagner and Rachael Flatt?

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

During the 2009-10 Olympic season, there were articles about Rachael Flatt doing her high school homework in the car while her mother drove her to and from the rink. Both Ashley Wagner and Rachael live away from home now and can drive themselves around.

ETA: I know Rachael's parents attended her competitions and so likely spent some time with her outside the rink (for example, I often saw them together at Nationals and at 2009 Worlds in Los Angeles).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012