Do Americans use egg-cups?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ice dance, Jan 6, 2011.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Today in honor of this thread I had 2 hardboiled eggs in an egg cup, a piece of whole wheat toast and tea with milk for breakfast. It's almost 1 pm and I am still not hungry. Eggs are so filling! :cheer2:

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Did you use two egg cups or one?

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

do you think she broke any?

4. Ania

Ania Active Member

I grew up in Russia and love soft-boiled eggs. My family was neither rich enough nor sophisticated enough for egg-cups, so my grandma used shot glasses to eat soft-boiled eggs. :shuffle:

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This thread is so interesting - when I first saw the title, I thought are you kidding me? What's next, asking if Americans drive cars?

But then again, I'm Canadian, the child of European immigrants, and when I think about my own collection of egg cups, one is an old one from Germany, two are a set I bought in Copenhagen, and four are Villeroy and Boch (a European company). I tried to get some for my Wedgewood china (English), but they are discontinued sadly.

I will say that my egg cooker, which happily offers options of soft, medium and hard boiled eggs, is American made!

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Jenny, do the poached eggs in the cooker come out with the yolk on top (visible) or inside the white? I much prefer inside...

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Both the egg cookers I've had offer poaching containers that IMO produce something nothing like a proper poached egg. You basically get a soft boiled egg that uses the container instead of the shell to run to keep it together.

If you love poached eggs, and can't master the proper method, I think there are units that you can put into a pot of water that more closely matches the texture you want than an egg cooker, which cooks with steam, not water.

As I said above, when I have leftover hollandaise (usually from asparagus the night before, yum), I make a softboiled egg, carefully peel it, and then put it on toast or in a bowl, and pour the sauce over it. It's not quite the same as a real poached egg, but at that point I'm really just looking for an excuse to eat the sauce anyway. :)

8. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

That sounds mighty good.

Mom never gave a fck about salmonella and served soft boiled eggs every weekend and always smeared raw egg or sometimes quail egg on steak tartare. Hence my choice/modification of menu tends to scare quite a few people.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Another classic use of raw egg is in Caesar salad. Originally, it was made with raw egg, and in fancier restaurants a few decades ago, they'd even make it tableside for you. Today, I'm guessing that few Americans (or Canadians) make the dressing from scratch any more, and modern recipe books usually suggest coddling the egg first. Mind you, I can't imagine that a brief boiling is going to get the egg temperature to the levels someone posted earlier.

I do make Caesar salad dressing from scratch now and then, with the raw egg - it's the disgusting anchovies that I leave out! I also make homemade mayonnaise, but from what I understand, the process involved and other ingredients actually makes the eggs safer to consume. At least I hope so. :lol:

10. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Can you share the Caesar salad dressing recipe, please? My oldest DD hates anchovies, so it's hard to find a store brand she likes other than the silly pre-packed salad kits' packet.

11. skatemommy

Actually, after a lot of practice and misshaps - I'm pretty good at poaching eggs. The secret is to add white vinegar to the water. It keeps the protein of the egg from running all over. But it is a lot of work basting, I was just wondering if there was an easier way, per usual with cooking...NO. :) (PS my mom (Hungarian descent, Canadian born) makes the best poached eggs ever!)

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I find prepared Caesar dressings nothing like the real thing - more like ranch with extra vinegar and garlic, yuck.

For classic recipes, I often rely on Better Homes and Gardens, knowing that all their recipes are well tested. This is from the 1989 edition of their red and white book:

1 egg
    1 clove garlic, halved
    2 tbsp olive or salad oil (guess that would be vegetable oil today)
    2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
    Few dashes of Worcestershire
    Dash hot pepper sauce
    5 cups torn romaine
    1/2 cup croutons (there's a separate recipe for homemade)
    Dash pepper
    1 2 oz can of anchovy fillets, drained, rinsed and dried (I leave this out and add a bit of salt instead)

Short version of the instructions suggests coddling the egg: bring to room temperature, then place in boiling water and remove from heat and let stand for one minute, then remove from water and let cool slightly before whisking into the dressing. Note also that the garlic is meant to be rubbed on the salad bowl - helps if you have a wooden one.

Personally, I also like fresh bacon bits in Caesar salad, and I use Kraft parmesan to toss with the dressing, and lots of freshly grated parmesan for topping, with a liberal amount of cracked or freshley ground pepper. With or without the croutons, depending on how I'm feeling about carbs.

13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I'm game to try it - I have the 1981 issue of that cookbook, so I just bookmarked it physically! Thanks!

14. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Putting butter on warm hardboiled eggs is pretty good too.

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Had softboiled eggs (butter and S&P) for lunch. Might try the hardboiled version - what could it hurt? (Good thing my last cholesterol blood test came back rated "Excellent!")

16. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Just wanted to say, who would ever have thought a thread about egg cups would reach six pages. One of the reasons I love FSU. You just never know. :)

17. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

:lol:

PM me your address and I'll send it to you. I never really eat soft-boiled eggs. Not because I don't like them or anything. It just never occurs to me to make them.

We didn't have an egg cup in our place until I won that one either. :shuffle:

18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I make poached eggs all the time without the vinegar, and just assume some loss of white. They still taste yummy. But I got a friend these poach pods last year at Christmas and she says they work great:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-...FD3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294445002&sr=8-1

The bonus is that they take up almost no room and clean very easily.

(FSU ought to get an Amazon referral credit account set up given the number of postings that link to something there -- it might actually add up to some bucks between the book threads, the DVD threads, and miscellaneous ones like this one.)

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

One, although I have two. :shuffle:

20. mkats

mkats New Member

:rofl: I mentioned this thread to my boyfriend yesterday and he had totally never heard of an egg cup! I showed him some pictures people posted and he was fascinated :lol:

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned balut :shuffle:

21. skatemommy

It should be an assembly line sort of preparation, so one is totally correct from my childhood. Plus the toast would get cold waiting to eat the first egg. PS. Congrats on the pie recipe, it sounds divine!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

What an unusual (and interesting) thread!

Canadian here; my mother always used egg cups to serve soft-boiled eggs. She had "everyday" egg cups and lovely bone china cups as well. She always made toast fingers for dipping in the yolk - what memories this brings back!

I rarely make them myself just because the timing is finicky - I find it tricky to get the white solid and yolk runny, so I do poached eggs instead. But maybe I'll try again now!

23. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Ok, now this I've never heard of. :wideeyes:

24. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

:scream:

25. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I never heard of making poached eggs in boiling water and learned it on Hell's Kitchen. I was WTF was that? We have an egg poacher. It is basically like a double boiler that you pour the egg in the top section and the steam from the boiling water cooks the egg.

26. skatemommy

Someone mentioned upthread about the "whack" with the knife...my dad could do that without getting the shell bits in the egg you were about to eat. And he liked the runny whites...looking forward to a lazy Saturday morning with maybe fried potatos w/ketchup. Yum, good night!

27. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Okay so I just read that what I thought of as poached eggs is actually steamed eggs... so I guess that means I like steamed eggs and not poached! :lol:

28. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I have a sort of side question about toast soldiers. Is that just regular toast cut into strips or it something my mom used to make me every now and then on snowy days when I was little?

She would butter pieces of bread and bake them for a while in the oven, then flip them over, butter them again and bake again until the toast was crispy and buttery and a bit crunchy all the way through without being hard like a crouton. She'd slice each piece into fingers and I'd munch away.

I've mentioned them to a few people over the years and no one has any idea what I'm talking about. Are those toast soldiers?

29. ice dance

ice dance Member

I've always understood soldiers to be regular toast cut into strips.
    From Wikipedia:
    Soldiers.

30. skatemommy

Are you really Paula Deen in disguise? :lol: I saw her show today and swear I gained weight by osmosis!;)

pat c and (deleted member) like this.