Do Americans use egg-cups?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ice dance, Jan 6, 2011.

1. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I love soft-boiled eggs, but never use an egg-cup. I like to eat them in a mug with butter and salt (yum!) or on toast. My English granny gave us an egg-cup from one of her trips back to England, but we don't use it: instead we put an egg she made in ceramics class in it for decoration, it's darling!

I'm from America, BTW, and because my mom grew up eating them (my English granny served "soldiers" for her) she never worried about making them for me even after any "scares" (I'm a child of the '80s).

-Bridget :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how people can be so disgusted about soft boiled eggs and yet like eggs over easy. It's not that different. They both involve runny egg yolks :shuffle:

Anyway, which looks more appetising? Soft boiled eggs or this kind of food?

Disclaimer. A friend sent me this blog and I've spent the morning looking at it, feeling slightly ill and craving eggs ;)

3. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I haven't had soft boiled eggs in years however, I think I might make one for breakfast now. We have egg cups and used to use them all the time, but I haven't seen them since we moved 7+ years ago. I always had soft boiled eggs with toast pieces when I was home sick from school. Memories! Anyway, I love eggs. Love over easy, love soft boiled, love poached. Don't like scrambled eggs. Like hard boiled, but only eat the white. Some days I only eat the white of my fried eggs... I'm picky. But, I've always loved soft boiled eggs.

Now, let's see if I can find an egg cup...

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Egg lovers, I highly recommend an egg cooker. Cuisinart makes a cute one in stainless steel shaped like an egg (I myself have an old Toastmaster that works perfectly as well). All you do is use the measure to put in the amount of water based on number of eggs and soft/hard level, turn it on, and bing! perfect every time, and never a grey ring.

I love eggs in all forms - scrambled, fried (huevos rancheros is a fave weekend treat), soft boiled, hard boiled, egg salad sandwiches, hollandaise sauce, you name it.

I've never master proper poaching, so I just use my egg cooker to make soft boiled eggs, peel vv carefully, lay on a piece of toast and cover with hollandaise. :swoon:

But don't Americans love deviled eggs??? Once the centrepiece of any housewife's party tray, they're back with retro vengence - any time I've served them to family or friends, the tray is gone in seconds. The new issue of Saveur even has a bunch or recipes.

5. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

OP, I am sure you will take your own egg-cup. I would (have no idea how to eat a boiled-egg or half-boiled without an egg-cup). It shouldn't take much room in your luggage. :)

6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I like deviled eggs! I use the same spices for my version of "egg salad"

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Eating soft-boiled eggs without an egg cup is indeed a problem--all that runny yolk. But hard-boiled eggs are extremely portable and easy to eat without an egg cup. My trick is to submerge them in cold water immediately after boiling and keep there for a few minutes for easy shelling.

I can't stand either. It's either scrambled, hard-boiled or dead for me. I have a trick for very nice scrambled eggs I picked up on the Food Network if anyone's interested.

8. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I remember my mom liking soft boiled eggs when I was a child, but we certainly did not have egg cups. I only know them from watching British movies. I would totally disagree that eggs have gone out of style with Americans. I don't know a single person who doesn't like them for breakfast or snacks. I made eggs and bacon for dinner a couple of days ago. I only buy Egglands or the cage-free from Trader Joe's now. There is a big difference from them and the cheaper ones - in size, color and taste.

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I'm interested - what's the trick!

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Please do share!

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OK. The key is not to make them dry. First cook them on low heat. At the point when they are about a minute before done, add a tiny splash of milk. The milk will steam the eggs insuring they retain moisture.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting - I normally mix in some cream before I put them in a buttered pan, so no issues with dryness, but they are very rich. (and yummy!)

Another method I used mostly for quantities (ie a brunch) is something I got from a description in a novel years ago: preheat cream or milk and butter in a pot on low heat, then break each egg into that one at a time, breaking the yolk and stirring with a spoon. That way, they essentially "cook" in the pot rather than being sauteed in a pan. Works quite nicely if you have the patience to stir for awhile, because it does take time before they start to thicken.

Also, a key thing for scrambled eggs is a warmed plate.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I always add some milk into the eggs before I whisk them anyway. The idea is to add even more moisture right before they are done. I can't use cream--too much heart disease in the family. Although I am considering making a frozen whipped cream/condensed milk key lime pie...:shuffle: but that's a rare treat while eggs are eaten every weekend.

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I like the extra milk at the end of cooking tip - I'll try it - thanks. There was a ski resort in Vermont that we stayed at which used either sour cream or cream cheese in their breakfast buffet scrambled eggs. Yum!

I make "shirred eggs" in a frying pan by melting butter, adding a little cream or lactaid, then cracking an egg in, sunnyside up. I cover it so the white cooks evenly and yolk gets warmed up. Serve it over toast. Delish!

Try using low-fat "Lactose Reduced" milk. It's thicker than the regular milk equivalent. I use Kroger Lactose 2% in coffee instead of light cream.

I like scrambled eggs with ketchup. That probably "squidged" out a few people.

My BIL has heart issues and you'll see why in a minute: he has two signature recipes. One of them is called "eggs in a hole." Take two pieces of bread and use a glass to cut out a hole in the center. Heat a frying pan and melt a lot of butter. Toast the bread on one side, then flip it over and crack a whole egg into each hole, adding more butter if needed. Tastes great, haven't made it in years because I can feel my arteries clog up when I eat it.

If you try the "eggs in a pot" recipe for a crowd, add some shredded cheese and they're gone in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think that's quite common, along with Tabasco. I used to use Heinz Chili Sauce, until I found Sriracha; hubby prefers Tapatio.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

ITA, all of the above go well with eggs, including ketchup. Love having scrambled eggs and home fries with ketchup on a weekend morning.

17. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

My favourite type of egg is the Onsen Tamago. :cheer: I can eat it plain or with rice dishes (works with anything from sukiyaki, curry, rice bowls,bento), noodles, pizza, etc etc :lol:

As for boiled egg, I prefer a medium-boiled egg the one in the middle :swoon:

18. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

^^I am highly susceptible to food-borne illness (I get it at least half a dozen times a year probably more) and have yet to get salmonella from soft boiled eggs. Usually I get it from improper food handling from family members when prepping family dinners. Father in law made chili once and left it overnight on the stove to cool then reheated it in the morning...after we ate lunch he told us. :scream:

Reading this thread makes me want to buy a really nice set of egg cups though!!

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

20. Twilight1

My mom in law has black marble ones and they are so pretty. Heavy as heck though!! I browsed through some of them on that link and I like a few of them haha!!

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

LURVE this! It sounds gross, but it is so tasty.

22. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Are there people who like eggs over easy and yet are disgusted by soft-boiled eggs?

I don't care for boiled eggs, period. I'm not disgusted by them, I just don't like them cooked that way because I don't like the egg white. I think a couple of other people have said they like eggs over easy, but I don't remember them being disgusted by soft-boiled eggs. Maybe I missed them?

I don't know how widespread it is, but a lot of people I know are disgusted by runny eggs, period. I get that a lot when I eat eggs over easy in restaurants. And I know people who will only eat scrambled eggs if they are, in my mind, overcooked. I don't particularly associate this with salmonellla scares; I remember when I was a kid that other kids used to say "Ewwwwwwww" at my runny eggs. And they still do now that they are grown up. I can think of only one person who has ever made a comment about salmonella, and that was someone who was aghast that I let my kids eat raw cookie dough when they were little.

Raw cookie dough is much too awesome to skip just because there's an off-chance of salmonella.

I guess it's a good thing the menu is a lot more extensive.

I got a great recipe for scrumbled eggs--scrambled eggs gently cooked with milk in a double boiler-- from someone on this board a few years ago. Yum. I wonder where I put it.

23. Nan

Nan Just me

We had soft-boiled eggs several times a week for breakfast when I was young. My mother could do a perfect "four-minute" egg, firm white and runny yolk. Dad was the only one who used an egg cup. Mom would cut ours in half (a sharp rap with a knife all the way through the egg...quite a talent to do it without getting bits of shell in the egg!) and then scoop the egg from the shell into a bowl with the knife. We added a little butter, salt and pepper, mashed it all up and put it on toast. Loved them! :lol:

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I've never heard of adding butter to softboiled eggs until this thread - must try!

25. Twilight1

Funny how people's experiences are so different.

I was always taught that eggs are super good for you, as long as they aren't fried. I remember going over to my Nana and Papa's and he would make me poached eggs on toast and I loved it. My dad had 2 every morning on an english muffin when I was a kid. We even had an egg poacher pan/ pot?

My mom would make soft boiled eggs and cut my toast in strips and I would dip it and use the ends and scrap out the whites with them.

Funny how I have never had anyway look twice at how I eat eggs. I order sunnyside at restaurants all the time even to this day. I have only sent my eggs back once because the whites were still oozy...

I have making soft boiled eggs into an art form...making the whites firm but the yolks runny. :D

26. ice dance

ice dance Member

Yes, after reading this thread, my sister will definitely be taking an egg-cup with her. Maybe even a set of them to give the family with whom she will be staying!

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

28. RoseAugust

RoseAugust Member

My mom served us soft-boiled eggs every Sunday morning because it was quick. She had to get four kids to church by 7:20 am...and we never skipped church. Sometimes they were served in egg cups, but usually just a bowl. There was a period of about two years where I was allergic to eggs and I was served milk-toast. I love soft-boiled eggs. I love milk-toast. Especially together. I'm getting hungry.

29. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Try it with poached eggs, too. Butter makes anything taste better.

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I thought someone said as much earlier in the thread, but maybe I was wrong :)