Do Americans use egg-cups?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ice dance, Jan 6, 2011.

1. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I drew this egg cup as a prize at a Christmas party last year. Haven't used it yet.

Might squick some people out, but I love dishes that use raw egg such as sukiyaki, yukke and steak tartare. :swoon:

2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I like Steak Tartare and I usually make a small portion for myself when we have hamburgers. Grosses the others out royally.

Eggs are delicious and versatile, providing a good source of protein. Separate them and add lemon and/or sugar and you have lemon meringue pie, my favorite! (Hate crusts, though.)

I remember the American Egg Board's successful advertising slogan was "the incredible, edible egg"

My ex-SIL, who was a vegetarian, always said that the egg was nature's perfect food.
    Eggs were her main source of protein, usually hard-boiled.

3. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I have egg cups in the cupboard, but don't eat cooked eggs unless they're in something like cookies or chocolate cake! I do eat raw eggs on occasion, when I throw one in the blender with milk and chocolate syrup and possibly a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's the only way my mum could get me to eat eggs!

4. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Ooops! first I misread and thought you "drew/created the design and won a prize at some designers' X-mas party" and thought "oh wow! nice post-retro style, I wonder what other drawings allezfred has in the are of industrial design"....:D

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i want one,, that is so cute

still dont want to eat an egg in it though

6. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I love soft boiled eggs! They are a comfort food to me as I remember my mom would make them for me only if I stayed home from school with a bad cold. We didn't use egg cups, just placed them in a small bowl.

They have to be cooked just so as I don't like the white part to be too runny. Sprinkle on lots of salt and dip my toast into the yolk and scoop out the whites with a spoon. Delicious with a glass of orange juice.

Guess what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow.:)

http://www.factsfacts.com/EggCups/EggCups.htm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Do we have the same mom? You're right .. the white part should be firm but the yoke runny. My mom always cut "toast sticks" for dipping. Yum!

8. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Forget the shock that many of you hadn't even heard of egg cups. I'm shocked that you don't eat soft boiled eggs! What kind of childhoods did you have without egg and soldiers? :drama:

I'm almost equally shocked that chocolate mousse can be made without egg whites. Why not just use pasturised eggs, which are USDA approved?

I don't currently own an egg cup, but did have soft boiled eggs with a friend last week (for the first time in years). We used shot glasses :shuffle:

9. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I make a wicked chocolate mousse with egg whites that was in a family cookbook from the 1970's. I made it once for DH's family and three of them freaked out when they found out there were eggs in it. "Ewwww...I'm gonna be sick. I hate eggs!" Then they added "Well, I'm glad I finished my second helping." Drama kings and queens.

With today's touchy allergy issues, I don't dare make it unless I know everyone can eat eggs. Now I want Mousse for dessert and soft-boiled eggs for breakfast.

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love eggs, but I find soft boiled eggs revolting. And I've never used egg cups.

11. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

When I make hard boiled eggs, I'll pull one or two out at the 6 minute mark. I run them in ice water then break the top of the shell. I NEVER mastered that cutting with a knife thing; hate eating eggshells, hence don't use egg cups but love soft boiled, deviled and poached eggs along with the omelet and quiche variety!

12. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Only way I'll eat eggs is if they're over easy, dipping toast in the yolk.

I've never even heard of an egg cup.

13. mkats

mkats New Member

Well, now I'm having a hard boiled egg for breakfast tomorrow. Very solid though, mind you.

I can't stand runny eggs. Over new years' we split up brunch duties and the girl that made eggs had them practically still liquid when she served them! I chopped some scallions into my serving and dumped it back into the pot until they were nice and fluffy and lightly browned. Much more tasty (and palatable :lol: )

14. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I would do the same thing. In fact, I rarely order eggs at a restaurant because most won't cook them long enough for me to like them. They consider it to be overcooked.

15. love skating

love skating Clueless American

We have a machine that makes soft boiled eggs. It's very old! I eat them on occassion, but we don't use egg cups. We cut the egg in half and take it out of the shell and into a small bowl. I have seen Martha Stewart use egg cups on her show. She probably would be appalled that we don't use them!

16. skatemommy

Let me make the case for the organic "Eggland's Best" eggs. Expensive yes, but worth it. No sulfur smell, beautiful color - my family really notices the difference. I think y'all would think differently about soft boiled eggs after tasting these...just sayin!

17. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

DH has a friend at work whose family owns an organic chicken farm so we get freebies fairly regularly. They do look and taste better, as do Eggland's, but I only buy them when there's a coupon or a sale.

18. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I love Eggland's Best and buy the big cartons at Sam's. I eat eggs all the time. But boiled eggs of any kind-- :p. Gimme over easy with a runny yolk and some toast.

I do have to say, however, that no one should ever eat organic eggs because they are free of salmonella (I know you didn't say that, but I saw it somewhere up thread). Organic eggs most certainly can have salmonella.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...-to-avoid-salmonella-poisoning-maybe-not.html

19. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

My husband is allergic to eggs, so we don't have them in the house. He goes into anaphylactic shock if he eats eggs or anything containing egg yolk or white.
    Fortunately I didn't like them all that much in the first place ... :saint:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Same here (we are agreeing on a lot of things! :)) but I do own egg cups and occasionally use them on hard boiled eggs--kind of pointless but reminds me of the old country.

I hate runny yolk so it's either scrambled or dead for me.

21. skatemommy

I'm assuming you have Epi-Pens on hand? Long story but my DD took pistachios to elementary school one day thanks to DH and classmate needed treatment. :mad:

22. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

Yes, we always have Epi-Pens around. Thankfully I've never had to use one, but I know how if necessary.
    Our daughter's school has the same stringent anti-nut policy and there is a kid with a kiwi allergy in her class as well.

23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I also like "frizzled eggs" which are fried over high heat until the edges are crispy and browned. Tricky to keep the yolk runny, though. They're a guilty pleasure with a nice salad.

My grandniece (4) has terrible food allergies (soy, peanuts, milk/dairy products, and more!) The doctors just diagnosed a new one: egg whites. Poor little thing - she does love meringue cookies but now they're off the list too. Finding treats so I can be the favorite aunt is getting tricky...

24. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

That must be difficult for her and her family. I have heard of kids outgrowing some allergies like that so maybe there is hope.

25. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Another Canadian here who enjoys soft boiled eggs. I have owned a matching set of four stainless steel egg cups for about 40 years. Very mid-century modern.

I only buy free range eggs, with lovely dark yolks. I realize there is a concern about salmonella in undercooked eggs but I don't think I have ever had a problem.

I usually cook some of the eggs for 4 minutes, and leave the rest in for 15 mins to make them hard boiled. Mr. JB insists that I run cold water over the eggs to stop them from cooking in the shell, before putting them in the egg cups. We cut off the top, add butter, salt and pepper, and eat the eggs with toast fingers on the side. Or dipped, if the egg is really runny.

Scooping the soft boiled egg into a bowl is a travesty. It totally spoils the taste, and they look gross. As for poached eggs, I can only eat them when cooked in a metal poacher. Not dropped into boiling water. That's gross, too. I am very fussy, no?

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

One of my cousins was very allergic to dairy and gradually grew out of it.

27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

My family had egg cups but no one ate soft boiled eggs. maybe my mom did occasionally, but no one else.

When I was younger I needed my eggs scrambled hard. I still don't like runny eggs, but I've learned to appreciate them just cooked. Will never ever ever eat a soft boiled egg, though. Way too gross for words :yikes:

28. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Like Matry I didn't even know that eggs could be soft-boiled. I, um, had to Google-image them and yeah. I'm sure you all have great memories and all, so I'll leave the eating of said soft-boiled eggs to you. You're welcome. :encore:

I actually like eggs. I like 'em scrambled, in omlettes & quiches and fried Have em nearly every weekend - since I'm not a big meat-eater, it's one of my most important sources of protein. But I'm not a fan of hard boiled eggs and detest even looking at "over easy" eggs. :yikes:

Egg cups sound cute, though, and I love the idea of a specific little container for the one egg. It's a bit decadent and who doesn't like to indulge while eating? I might just buy some egg cups and to put mousse or creme caramele (tons of eggs in both!) in them and elegantly eat them like the dainty lady I am :D

29. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Unless Canadian eggs are laid by hens who have been sterilized and live in sterile labs, you can get salmonella from them just like from US eggs.

I think this is an age thing. I'm in my 50s and I grew up eating soft-boiled eggs. I <3 them in fact. As well as Sunnyside up.

But safety issues caused me to switch to hard-boiled and Over Easy (which most places I go to don't understand what EASY means and make the yolk solid - yuck). I imagine the younger FSUers mostly grew up after we were scared out of making soft-boiled eggs and missed out. Poor them!

Oh and I love Eggland's Best. I get the brown ones. It amuses me to get brown eggs at the supermarket.

ETA when I was growing up some families had egg cups but they were considered kind of pretentious, so most of us used bowls.

30. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Canadian? check
    Soft boiled eggs? check
    Egg cups? check

Love them though I also find scrambled a lot easier to make without worrying about overcooking. My Dad would make himself a soft-boiled egg for breakfast every work day. It was the only cooking he ever did.

As for salmonella being an issue for soft-boiled eggs - never heard of that. Raw eggs yes but not soft-boiled.

Did a check on-line and this is what I came up with first - from the Egg Safety Center http://www.eggsafety.org/consumers/consumer-faqs
    (American site so American spelling but got the link from Canadian site called GetCracking.ca)

Once in 84 years - wow.