Do Americans use egg-cups?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ice dance, Jan 6, 2011.

1. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Oooh, those are the ones I was talking about when I said I'd had some! Expensive, but great eggs! Really fresh, and dark coloured yolk which means nutritious too :)

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

But very touristy - I suppose that appeals to you, too?

3. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I am American and I do use egg cups as I like soft-boiled eggs. I think it might be generational though; I don't know if younger cooks use them.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I sometimes like to bring mementos from my trips. My favorite was a case of Limoncello from the Amalfi Coast. Touristy? Perhaps. Delicious? :swoon: None of my family or friends considered it touristy or turned up their nose when I offered them a bottle. ;) The only problem with this one is that it didn't last.

5. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

When I was a kid we also broke them into a separate bowl to check them. More than once I got a fertalized egg that had a partial chick inside. Ewwwww

Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, on more than one occasion, I tried to "hatch" an egg from the refrigerator. I would cover it with warm blankets and wait and wait. Nothing happened of course.:eek:

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I wouldn't turn up my nose, either. ;)

8. mkats

mkats New Member

I've eaten eggs that were 4-5 weeks past the expiration date and didn't have any issues... but then again I've always been blessed with a pretty impressive immune system. I earned the nickname of "iron stomach" after one wretched meal in Peru when everyone got salmonella/typhoid except for me :lol:

The worst was in college when I left a slice of pizza on top of the microwave for...a long time :shuffle: and forgot about it. I woke up one night, couldn't fall asleep, and thought about getting a snack, but didn't want to wake up the roomie sleeping three feet away. Aha! There was still pizza on top of the microwave, on top of the fridge! I ate the pizza and went back to sleep, leaving the plate where it was. In the morning there was a triangle of gray mold exactly bordering the place where the pizza used to be.

I didn't get sick :lol: but I am a bit more careful now...

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

A guy from NY who was working with Mr. Barbk back in the 70s had a mom living in NY who believed that he couldn't get decent pizza in LA. She would Fedex a whole pizza to him every few weeks, he would happily eat it, and the rest of us were jealous because it always smelled good. This was your basic cheese and tomato pizza; no meats. He never got sick from it either, at least that we knew about.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Does Plushy flail like a drunk windmill?

I'm leaning towards 1 tulip and 1 chicken, but I'm still not certain. They will be displayed in my kitchen on a shelf, beneath a wall plate of two Russian peasants making mad whoopee in a wheat field. I think the tulip and the chicken will complement the scene.

11. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

According to the Georgia Egg Commission they should be good at least another 2-3 weeks from when they were packed.

If I'm planning on deviled eggs, I always set some aside to "age". The real fresh ones don't peel very well.

Edited to add:

Place the egg into a bowl of water. The water level should be deeper than the egg's length.
    Observe what the egg does.
    Fresh eggs will sink to the bottom of the bowl and lie on their sides.
    Slightly older eggs (about one week) will lie on the bottom but bob slightly.
    If the egg balances on its smallest end, with the large end reaching for the sky, it's probably around three weeks old.
    Eggs that float at the surface are bad and should not be consumed.

12. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Well, send me a PM when you decide.... :D.
    does not much matter 39.99 or 69.00.... it's a pleasure to send out carfts and souvernirs.

But to the other "peasants" who prefer the $39.99 stuff.... How elitist of you.....:rofl:

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

where are you going next tinami? :slinkaway

14. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

My daughter got a similar infuser for christmas from my sister and loves it! In our family.. tea cures all! Heart break, ailments, celebrations - all need tea. Her nana's tea is so strong it's like soup.. I like it medium strong and DD likes in fairly strong. Hubby doesn't like it quite as strong.. Our favourite tea is English breakfast although after 4 or 5 cups I then like a lighter tea - like Earl Grey.. recently I was introduced to Lady Grey tea and really liked it and actually preferred it black. We also love green tea and will drink a couple of pots when eating Sushi :) I love tea..:p

15. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

But green tea doesn't taste bitter to me, even though I pour boiling water on the leaves. :confused:

However, if the keeping young forever part depends on the water being cooled to 70°C, in that case I shall start right now. Should we compare results around the 2034 olympics. ;)

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've been told that boiling water destroys the anti-oxidants and other nutrients in green tea, hence the cooler water.

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Oh no! I knew I was doing something wrong, otherwise I should look twenty. :drama:

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

;) Come visit our beauty thread, we all look twenty in there.

19. my little pony

to be fair, the lights are very dim

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

and are generally Blanche DuBois kind of lights. ;)

21. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

At $39.95 a pop...you would want to try to ensure that it was genuine Delft pottery before purchasing it. Genuine Delft pottery is made in the town of Delft in one of two or three factories. The pottery is hand made and painted, limited edition, with original factory markings.

It is quite pricey. I bought a small (about 4 inches) Delft pottery shoe ornament at one of the factories in March and paid 80 Euros for it.

Even at $39.95 for one egg cup...it may not be genuine Delft pottery.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

And the water is rarely actually hot!

I've never looked at the expiration dates on the egg carton. So I'm guessing that I have.

I think I'll stick with running as my "live forever" strategy. I'm just not that found of green tea. No matter what temperature the water used to brew it is.

You people are making me want to buy an egg cup! But not one of those Delft ones. I want something contemporary.

23. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Good point you brought up for pottery collectors. However, we must be careful with the word "Genuine".

There are 4 factories in Delft which produce Delftware. Each factory produces both, hand-crafted from scratch and properly kilned pieces, and less expensive tourist pieces that are mass-produced, not entirely hand-painted, minimally hand-painted, or hand-painted by a decal method.

Some pieces are all decorated on a decal, and then just few elements, few brush strokes are added, and technically it can be called “hand painted”.

The pieces which are hand-painted completely, each come with certificates and each certificate number is registered with Delft Chamber of Commerce.

But nobody expects little gadgets like tourist style egg-holders to be fully hand-painted by hand.

So something can be “authentic/genuine Delftware” from a local factory, but not 100% hand-painted.

24. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

26. my little pony

my egg cup came in the mail today :cheer:

it's freakin adorable, he has a little mallet, i guess for breaking it open and its own spoon

thanks fred, i love it!

27. Southpaw

Another FSU success story! :rollin:

28. Southpaw

Good people of the FSU, I am here to tell you that our Tinami Amori is a woman of her word. My Delft egg cups have arrived! Say what you will of her.... say that she's an elitist snob who would rather sip champagne with Mr. Rourke than jump sharks with The Fonz, say that she's a tireless defender of twizzles Russian Aborigine style, say that she's a champion for twisted Chinese mothers. Say all that and other things, just don't say that she's a woman who welches on a deal. :cool:

In anticipation of questions from my little pony and IceAlisa....I got tulips and chickens. :D

29. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Hey I love Tinami...she is won cool wamma jamma :cool:

30. my little pony

yet another fsu success story and we have the egg cup to thank for it