DIY Home Project Question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Prancer, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

We're doing far too many projects around the house and one of them was to get rid of the ugly paneling on one wall of our foyer. It was, I think, original to the house, installed in the 1960s. We thought it was just paneling and planned to tear it off and put up sheetrock, but lo and behold, the paneling was glued to the wall.

Our walls were all painted with old flat paint that had been mixed with sand, so it is very rough and can't get wet. So does anyone know of any way to get the glue off the wall? Because as you can see, it really has to come off: http://prancer.zoints.com/album/view/Foyer-88261

Just ignore the messy kitchen in the background :shuffle:.

Home improvement sucks.

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I don't have any idea, but if you think that kitchen in the background is messy, you should see mine :rofl:

3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

The easiest thing might just be to put ⅜ drywall right over it. You can try to sand it, but I think you’d have to pretty much seal the hallway with plastic, and if it’s sanded too much, you’ll remove the paper on the gypsum, which will make it impossible to paint.

Prancer and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Prancer

The problem with doing that is that the original paint with sand was put on in these decorative little swirls, sort of like ceiling paint, and we don't know exactly how to do that ourselves. When we first thought about putting up drywall, the drywall guy told us he didn't think he could replicate the look so it would match the other walls. He was poking around and found the walls behind the paneling and said, blithely, that we could just take off the paneling and paint. We'd have to remove the glue, but that shouldn't be too hard because it was all dry. Well, it IS dry, I'll give him that, but it's on there pretty thick.

Argh! Maybe we could have one smooth wall? I don't know how noticeable it would be.

:wall: I hate home improvement.

5. Reuven

Unfortunately, creating that look does require a lot of skill. You may need a professional painter to do that. Sorry, I have no other ideas. :(

6. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

What about a heat stripper gun? It would make the glue softer, but it's kind of hard to tell w/o touching it. What kind of glue is it? If heat would melt it and make it sticky, hmmmmm, but if it would just make it soft enough so that you could pop it off the wall using a trowel, that would work.

Would there should be some kind of solvent that would remove it.? But, it would still be grunt work, sad to say.....

Paint it another color as an accent wall, or use stencils or something. Lots of possibilities. :)

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'd go with Reuven's suggestion and paint it with a matching sand paint but instead of the swirls just pull the paint vertically. Same texture just a bit of an accent since it's an end wall.

8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

If you can't match the paint technique I'd go with a contrasting color or even the same color but in a darker or lighter shade. It will save you tons of time and expense. If that paneling has been there for decades, you'll probably need a really strong solvent given the glues they used then, and given your sinus issues, I wouldn't fool with it.

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that would be the easiest way to do it.

The other thing you could do is plaster over the wall. If you like the look of roughly plastered walls (stucco) the glue might not be a problem, just cover it.

I found this, but I don't know if it is your style. Also don't know what the color options are or how much control you have over the contrast. If it can be very low contrast, it might look like Venetian Plaster, which looks fabulous in light colors. http://www.wallpaperillusions.com/

In case you're not familiar with Venetian plaster. Not loving the color on this demo, but it can be whatever color and as light or dark as you want.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/stylish-venetian-plaster-video/index.html

I did it with a paint technique in my kitchen. I used a very light beige with a very, very light terra cotta. It looks like an old wall in Tuscany. You probably would have to go for the plaster technique, because of the glue. My walls were okay to just do it with paint.

ETA, read the rest of the posts.

Have you looked at paint for sueding walls? I know Ralph Lauren makes on. It has sand in it. I did my entire family room with it. It takes a while, but it's not hard (just on your shoulder). It has sand in it and you roll on the first coat. Then for the second coat you make curved X's constantly overlapping. Too bad I don't live near you, I'd help you. I've marbleized walls, faux Venetian plastered walls, crackle glazed walls, sueded walls. I do all of my own painting. I refuse to pay for what I can do myself :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My husband, from a family of contractors, says that the only way to get the glue off the wall is to scrape it off, but that normally damages the plaster.

I'd put up 3/8" drywall. That's what we did. And do look at the Ralph Lauren sand paint - it might come close enough that it either blends with the other walls or if it's a bit off, maybe paint the wall a slightly darker version of your current paint color, and make it an accent wall.

11. Prancer

Thanks for all the suggestions. FSU rocks! :cheer2:

But ugh. Just once I'd like to have some sort of problem with the house where the answer starts with, "Oh, that's easy! All you have to do is_______."

12. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I like the way the walls look now. That gluing pattern looks pretty darn cool to me. Modern art for free, whee! :smokin:

13. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I love home improvement challenges, as long as they aren't mine. Do you know a good carpenter? I don't know if this is your style but you could cover the glue wall with beadboard or board and batten.

I can't really tell by the picture but can you enlarge the entrance to the kitchen? That would get rid of your problem too.

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'd go for an accent wall with a wallpaper that mimics the size and general direction of the paint treatment. Apply leveling compound to the wall, then sizing, then paper away.

Why wallpaper? The problem is the doorway. If you apply anything thicker than wallpaper, you will have to redo the doorway and that's a challenge for most folks who don't normally work with drywall. Taping all the joints and getting them perfect with joint compound is not that easy.

If you have your heart set on drywall, it might be worth it to pay someone to apply the joint tape and the first two coats of joint compound. You can probably do the 3rd coat yourself if the person you hire does a good job creating the angles.

The only other thing that might work without redoing the doorway is very thin formica or similar material. Applying that is very tricky and requires that you ventilate the area for at least 24 hours.

15. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Oh well, at least you're still on holidays right? :p

16. cruisin

Good point, though she could make it easier by applying molding. Then, though she'd have to put molding on all of the doors in the room. Got a mitre box Prancer? :lol:

Prancer, sanded paint is not hard to do. It is time consuming and has to be done with a brush, but it's not hard. You can buy, or maybe get for free, scraps of sheet rock at Home Depot. Experiment on the remnants before you do the wall. I think what will be harder for you is matching the paint color to what is already there. I don't know if the color range for suede paint is extensive. Also don't know if you can mix whatever color you want. They do have machines that can read the exact color from a paint sample or wallpaper sample, but how would you get your wall there? Have you considered just repainting the whole room? I, personally, am not a big fan of accent walls. I think they chop the room up, especially if it's a small room.

17. Prancer

That was the kids' solution as well :lol:.

It looks pretty gross up close, though.

We've done it before, and we have someone who can do that for us if we don't think we're up to it, but.....

There was already molding there; we pulled it off to get the paneling off, but it's still intact and ready to be put back.

However, we can see all kinds of other problems in terms of fitting if we put drywall up over the wall. I'm not sure if they will preclude doing that, but we're going to have to think about how to do a few things if we go that way. You can't see the full-length window over on the right or the way the molding along the bottom fits to the slate floor, for example.

Meh.

I don't think the original was done with a brush because the swirl pattern is pretty wide. Maybe. I don't know. If it were just sanded paint, fine; it's the patterning in the paint that I'm afraid of.

It is most annoying that the paneling was put up, because the wall is painted and finished underneath the glue. That's why we were hoping to get the glue off.

All of this got started in the first place because I just painted the upstairs hall and everything else in the foyer, and I still have plenty of paint left, so matching the paint wouldn't be a problem. It looks REALLY yellow over there on the left, but it actually isn't; the wall on the right is the same color and it looks white/beige, which isn't right, either :lol:.

My husband thinks the paneling was put up in the first place as an accent because the foyer is long and narrow and he thinks it will be rather cave-like to have it all in one color. I'm not fond of accent walls, either, though.

We're got Friend who use to work in construction coming over to look at it to see what can be done about the drywall problems, and I am trying to get Sorta Friend who was a house painter for many years to advise on the paint problems.

18. cruisin

Would it be too much trouble to post a photo of the swirl pattern? Could it have been done with a trowel or spatula? Some trowels have serrated edges for doing swirls.

Could you scrape the glue off? It might damage the paper coating of the drywall, but you could even that back out with spackle. And if you put the swirl texture on the wall, it should blend well.

Was it dark wood? I think the lightness of your paint would be less cavelike ;). And don't men like caves? :lol:

I think that's your best bet. Unless you want to invite all of your opinionated FSU friends out to consult :lol:.

19. Reuven

Oooo! What if you took different colours and threw them against the wall and called it an undiscovered Jackson Pollack? OK, I’ll go quietly....:slinkaway

20. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

Oh, that's easy! All you have to do is move.

:saint:

21. Prancer

I don't know if it would show well; just think of a ceiling with a swirl pattern, only more subtle.

It's sort of like this: http://www.mustknowhow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2_100_4285.jpg but with fewer swirls spread apart a little more.

But it's not on drywall--the drywall is painted already, and the paint with the sand in it is thick, almost like plaster. We'd have to use a belt sander to get down to the drywall and damage it. But if we sand the glue off, we'll sand down the bumps in the paint, which means the glue pattern will still show if just paint it, only in smooth swirls instead of bumpy ones.

I don't know if we can scrape the glue off or not; that was my original question--how can we get it off? But it looks like we won't be able to. So....

That's pretty much what this is, isn't it? :lol: For every question, there is an FSU poster answer or 10.

Yeah, ha ha. And won't the house sell well with that foyer making the first impression. Unless.....

Best idea yet!

22. cruisin

Looks like they used some sort of special comb or steel wool for that.

I wonder if you scraped the glue off and dug into the paint a bit, if you could patch comb some sort of sanded base into what is there. Probably a nightmare to try and do, though.

Or 50 :lol:

23. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Potentially crazy idea -- can you put up new paneling? Birch/beech? Bamboo? Something modern?

Call me nuts, but I actually think paneling could make a comeback. We have pine paneling accents in our apartment that have been painted over. We're planning to sand down and stain all of it, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is on this one.

24. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Re-looked at the picture, and it looks like you have 2 different kinds of glue which doesn't help you. Either way, it probably isn't water based, which means you have these choices

1. Leave it and explain it's the newest thing
    2. gyprock it
    3. Do the Jackson Pollack Look
    4. put on different paneling.
    5. Wall paper it.
    6. Remove the wall totally.
    7. Move

Did I miss anything? ;)