Disliked Online, but Popular in the General Public?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Cloudy_Gumdrops, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

So, after reading a comment in some other thread, I started wondering about the disparity between the fandoms of the online communities and the general public.

Some skaters seem to be loathed on the internet, yet, they seem to be very popular among the casual, 'every 4 year' type fans.

What skaters do you find that to be true about?

Plushenko is the first one that comes to mind.

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Evan, espeically post-DWTS.

3. miki88

miki88 New Member

Sasha Cohen. To casual fans, she's a beautiful skater who couldn't keep her nerves. However, she seems to have a lot of critics on her basic skating, etc. online.
    Another one that comes to mind is Irina Slutskaya.

4. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I'm also gonna go ahead and add Tanith & Ben.

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

In general

I think many online hate it when skaters don't have good line or bad posture. I am not so sure that the general public cares as much.

Online fans can be rabid about skaters with overused music - especially if they only use what is considered to be overused. I think that same music allows the general fan in more easily as it is often something they recognize and/or the reason it is used is because it is good to skate to or has the potential to get the crowd involved. Same goes for choreography. Online fans like to see something new - or intricate. Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.

Online fans hate skaters who are - in their opinion - overmarked or who make what they consider to be arrogant or otherwise offensive remarks to the press. Unless it is something really prominent - general fans will be unaware of such comments.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I agree. Sasha gets a lot of critique online about things that casual fan either don't care about or understand. edges etc. Her "wow-factor" positions make her a casual fan favourite, while those with more understanding/full time interest wanted her to develop her basic skating.

7. Cloudy_Gumdrops

That's my mom. When she watches skating with me, she finds everyone who skated cleanly to be 'just wonderful'. :)

8. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Mira Leung. I had heard so many criticisms of her, and many Canadian posters seemed among the most critical. Then when I watched her at Skate Canada, she actually got one of the loudest applauses of the night.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan. She seems to have more detractors online than in the GP.

10. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I would say overall the GP is more uniformly positive about all skaters than in online FS communities. Kind of ironic, considering we're the ones that supposedly love skating so much. :lol:

Definitely agree though, about MK.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It depends on the country. Brian Joubert is very popular in France, but has many critics on the internet.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any skaters who are without their online critics. "Disliked online" may be too sweeping a term.

13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

John Baldwin... :D

14. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I hate to admit it, but it's so f*****' true, general audiences, at least in Germany, who visit a skating show by chance, love, just LOVE!!! sparkles ("Holiday on Ice" :blah: ) and Hula-Hoop-girls & Co. on ice most ... :mad: :eek: :duh: I guess I'm not the only one who despises them (online or not) ...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Now what kind of fans would we be if we didn't snark about mediocrity among the skaters and the system when we see it. Our passion shows how much we care! :lol: The best fans are the ones who are most difficult to please, IMO. Why settle for okay when we know these skaters can be great and that this sport can be/should be better! :soapbox:;)

ITA!!! :respec:

16. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Yeah, I was surprised to see how well recognized he is in France.

17. Gwoofer

Gwoofer New Member

Ho Boy! I compare what blvd hubs and I like with what auntie likes. Of the two of groups we are on-line - she's never managed to get on-line (although I've tried, oh lordy I've tried).

She first off is highly in favour of Norte Americans over the rest of the world - then she doesn't like anyone with any show of confidence or "tongue in cheek" humour a la the old days of Katarina Witt, and Plushenko, doesn't get him at all. she just hated her. Next criteria is she has no comprehension of the aforementioned posture, line, "artistry", musicality ... she loves Rachel Flatt and can't understand why she's not winning Gold everything.

Unfortunately Nationalism and athleticism over beauty of skating wins everytime and the less strong personality the better. :wall:

18. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I'm not talking about the normal stuff. Every skater has their fans and detractors. I'm talking about those skaters who just can't catch a break no matter what. Some skaters just get so much vitriol spewed at them you'd think they were mass puppy murderers or something.

19. The Accordion

I agree with this - posts can be way way too full of hatred for what the skater(s) supposedly do wrong or don't do to the posters' taste. Often these skaters are quite young too and sometimes their crime is as simple as having a hairstyle the poster doesn't like or having larger hips than the average figure skater or getting marks from the judges posters don't find fitting.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but the Puppy murderer treatment is ridiculous!

20. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

He's missing one thing to be considered in this thread. Someone from a forum or in the general public has to actually like you.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Varies by country a great deal.
    In the US, though- Evan. I saw Olympics with my SIL who is a professional modern dancer with a lot of experience - and she liked Evan's attack, thought he stood out and had complete, convincing movement. And that was before the results.

22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Quite a few Canadian skaters/teams..

Bourne and Kraatz.
    Elvis Stojko.
    Sale and Pelletier (although they might have fallen out of public favour lately. I'm not sure.)

Evan Lysacek too.

Edit: Ohh and how could I forget PChiddy?!

23. geod2

geod2 New Member

Who would be examples of this, IYO??
    (I assume you mean can't catch a break in the online world)

24. The Accordion

Some who come to mind are Plushenko, Chan, Lysacek, Emily Hughes, Mira Leung, Bonaly, J Baldwin, Slutskaya to some extent, Sale and Morozov and Shpilband (last 2 for their choreo/coaching)

Yes they have their fans - but online - well at least FSU - whenever their names come up, numerous hate-filled posts seem to follow.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Oda for his inability to count takes a lot of blows online, but otherwise I'd say he's popular.

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

My comment is about fans in general.

The difference between casual fans and those who get on forums are the ones who get on forums are extremely passionate about skating and want to find others they can discuss it with in great depth.

The casual fan, whilst they will watch it and have a general like for it, can take it or leave it.

27. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Casuals seem to remember Sarah Hughes fondly. :shuffle:

28. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan, though maybe the online hate will decrease now that he's doing the quads about which his quotes caused much of the hate...

Jamie Sale - people online don't seem to hate David as much as Jamie, but the public seems to adore her so much (and him not quite as much). Me: I want to smack her upside the head.

Carolina Kostner in a smaller way.

29. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Rachael Flatt and Alissa Czisny.

30. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Since when has Alissa been disliked online? Aside from DrFinkelstein's (where'd he go, btw) disdain for her Chiclet teeth and supposedly nasty true self, I don't recall anyone else expressing a clear dislike for Alissa. She takes some criticism for being a headcase, but she is indeed one so that criticism is justified. There was also some flak when she won Nats and made the World team last year (including from me), but that was mainly directed at the judges who placed her in a position that she couldn't possibly live up to given her competitive history.

I mean, if Alissa is popularly disliked online, Rachael must be one of the most vilified skaters in history.