DiManno: Beyond Chan, Canada's Skating Ranks Worryingly Thin

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Wow. That bitch makes Phil Hersh seem likable :shuffle: .

Way to diss a major ISU International Competition that your country hosts as well as the skaters that compete in it. I'm sure V/M and D/W would appreciate being called skaters of "lesser acclaim." :blah: :rolleyes:

:rofl: She can't be serious with that comment.

:rolleyes:

Wow. Just wow. She may have surpassed "bitch" and taken it to the next level.

Exactly when did performance quality become a detriment?

……After re-reading this pathetic excuse for a column, I have to wonder just how deep Rosie DiManno is in Joanne McLeod's pocket.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

"Shawn Sawyer, a long-in-the-tooth-ish 25-year-old"

????????????

Wow, that's cruel.:(

4. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

DiManno seems like one negative person. She managed to make Shawn's wonderful performance (which if performed cleanly could land in the top 10 at Worlds) seem like it belonged in Juniors. Good grief! She's a hater.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

That article is just nasty. What about Andrei Rogozine, and Patrick Myzyk? Not too sure of their ages but I thought Rogozine just won Cdn juniors a year or so ago. I thought they both had quite interesting short programs, even if their free programs didn't go the way they planned. I don't think Orser and Browning were up at the top their first years at seniors.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Thanks for making a thread for this Iceman. I posted this in the Sawyer thread but I really think this needs a thread of it`s own.

What is with Dimanno`s virtol against Sawyer in this article? Of course at age 26 he isn`t a part of the Sochi 2014 movement but what made her think it was necessary to take shots at his program, calling it ``loud`` and ``crude``, as well as criticizing him wearing the mad hatter`s hat after his program? What was she watching? That was pure magic and she just had to ruin it by saying he`s a waste in a year. What does she have against this guy to be the vicious? Did Sawyer mentioning publicly that SC didn`t support his comeback have anything to do with it?

I hope Sawyer doesn`t read this and let it get to him.

And way to wast an opportunity to congradulate the first Newfoundlander to win a senior medal in figure skating (Russel) by ripping apart the senior mens bronze medallist, Rosie.

Why does this woman work in media?

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take anything "DiManic" takes to heart. She's as nasty as they come and always very negative. I sometimes read her articles if they're posted just for the entertainment value, never for face value. Patrick is outstanding but there are others, including Kevin who could possibly rise to the occasion of medaling at future competitions. Kevin had a bad day at the office, and yes, he has some work to do on presentation, but he's very young yet too, so I hope he stays and continues to improve. The public comments about his hair and his appearance are cruel and unnecessary. What is she trying to do?..........kick the kid when he's down? I like Kevin, he's a classy kid so I hope he takes no notice of Miss Di's comments and realizes that he has fans who support him. This article certainly wins the prize for negativity. Perhaps someone should write an article dissing Miss Di.

8. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Note that there's no option to be able to comment (or is that typical of a column?).

I'd email her but I have a feeling the witch relishes stirring the shit - the more pissed off people are, the happier she is.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Canada have uniuqe skaters - Patrick and World record holder - Reynolds (i mean he was first skate, who made two quads at SP). And i cant understand, why so many people try to kick him? He is uniuqe jumper. And i think that he deserve to be an team, when Russels without consistent 3 ax are good skater, but maybe couldnt help Canada save 3 sports for next season.
    Hope Kevin show greate skating at 4CC!

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's not Sawyer, it's skating. For some reason, they keep assigning her to a sport she doesn't like and doesn't understand, which is a complete mystery to me. I know that controversy sells, but a real journalist knows how to do that properly - Rosie DiManno is not a journalist, and the fact that she even has a job is another reason why I don't read the Star. It's annoying that media gives people with zero qualification a platform to spew their nonsense and meanness. Shame on the Star.

11. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Very sad as the the Star owns the Hamilton Spectator and Steve Milton writes for the Hamilton Spectator. They could just send him instead.

12. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Jenny is right on! In all the years I've read the Star, she's only given out one or two positive reviews, one for V/M and one for Jeff Buttle, all of whom are poised and unflappable; she was unable to provoke them, I think. Her articles on Sandhu were excrutiatingly painful (no matter how you view him). I wish she'd stick to her crime beat and let someone else report. P. J. Kwong? The Star has never taken skating seriously yet they will give pages to other minor sports events. And don't get me started on how many "Wheels" sections the paper feels the need to print! Aaaaggghhhh!

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

What's a camel jump? :rolleyes:

14. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Just shows how mean she is. A skater that can jump over camels can't even get any respect from her. :lol:

Jodi and (deleted member) like this.
  15. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:lol:

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Whoa, nasty! :eek:

17. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It seems obvious to me she didn't watch anything but the last group and most likely only watched the programs (or highlights) of the podium finishers plus Reynolds. I don't know how anyone watched that event and failed to take notice of some very interesting skaters and future potentials.

I also think she is way off regarding Kevin Reynolds. When all his jumps escaped him I actually watched thinking "damn that's a well choreographed program". Just as Chan started working on quads, Kevin has clearly been working on all the things he was lacking and I think ShaeLynn is perfect for him. Now is the time for Reynolds to see what he is made of and what he does with this disappointment. Whether it lights his fire or puts it out, I think he needs this moment to see what it is he wants and whether he has the desire to continue.

18. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Someone should tell Dimanno that her writing style is loud and crude. :rolleyes: She seems to be forgetting that Canada is relatively small population-wise, so we're not going to have 3 male skaters at one time who could potentially medal at Worlds.

19. lovelikelatte

lovelikelatte New Member

Andrei Rogozine is 17, turning 18 this Saturday. In this season, he won gold in both his JGP assignments but came 3rd in the JGP final. After seeing how well he was doing, I was almost sure he would make it to the top 5 or at least top 8 in the senior men's National event. He placed 13th at this year's Nationals but if he keeps skating I am betting he will fare better next year.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

DiManno's strategy has always been to make an irrelevant (or wrong) point, and then shout it as loudly as she can in hopes that the volume will distract from her flawed argument(s).

She seems to be the only person carping about how Canadian men's skating (other than Chan) sucks. That to me says more than enough about how pointless her point is.

21. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yet another reason why I don't want to read that stupid paper.

I simply lurved Shawn and his hat stuff came after his skate when he took his bows and then in the K&C so what's the big flippin deal? Jealous much, Rosie, cause you can't pull it off you sour old witch? Some of us actually find it endearing and the fact that a more "mature" skater has made a comeback and landed his skating nemesis more than once makes this OLD lady estatic and thinking Shawn is worthy of the SO.

If "Rosie" is in McLeod's pocket, why would she rip Kevin so badly?
    Kevin, loving that I'm seeing him keep up the performance in spite of the jumps. I'm sure those will come back and should he continue to learn how to "sell" his program, he'll be back on the podium. Yeah, he had an off day - but then so too did others. Kudos to him for working with Shae and working on that part of his skating. Keep it up kiddo, I'm pulling for ya!

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

DiManno is just tedious.

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

My goodness. I guess there is no point reading her review. I saw Kevin and Shawn for the first time on the GP circuit this year and enjoyed them both.

Canada has never had a shortage of male singles competitors. No reason to believe they will now. Senior stars are difficult to predict anyway. Often the novice and junior champions flame out at the senior level, and it's the workhorses who turn out to be stars.

Snark sells, but I am tired of supporting it.

24. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that after 12 years, the Toronto Star still hasn't found another sports reporter to cover for Rosie Dimanno and leave her free to do her editorials. She's never been kind to any Canadian skater who wasn't firm podium potential.

In a way, I'm happy Rosie doesn't cover other individual sports like Track and Field, Swimming or even Alpine Skiing - she'd be moaning about Canadian results till the cows come home.

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Why can't they find another reporter?
    That's not journalism.

26. venja

venja New Member

For heaven's sake, it's Rosie DiManno. 'Nuff said.

I maintain the same position I've had with her for the past 10+ years: she's an idiot.

Anyway, as someone who has been a victim of reading her previous "articles," this is basically the way she writes for everything. She does it on purpose and the reaction that it has sparked on this board is exactly what she wants.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I think Kevin's talking about his fall/trip on the last ftwk sequence, before the 'camel jump' -which I assume is around 4:45 in this video? Not so much the actual choreography being a problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpFXlt8sL8

29. floskate

floskate Vacant

Bitch is the word! :eek: And yet maybe there's a touch of short term memory loss at work here because despite the vitriol she throws at Shawn in this article, less than 24 hours earlier she wrote:

So Rosie, d'ya like the guy or not? Love him Sunday, loathe him Monday? :confused:

Woman needs to get a grip and actually learn about the sport she's been trashing for years. Then she might have a shred of credibility. Oh and she could really use a new colourist while she's at it. :blah:

30. minx

minx New Member

She has a point, somewhat. Except the article should have been about the Ladies.