Difficult or Effortless?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

A few years ago I attended an Australia versus China gymnastics meet, and the thing that struck me the most was, that while the Australians made everything look technically difficult, the Chinese made the same moves look effortless.

Both teams however, made for a spectacular evening of competition.

I'm wondering if the same applies to elite skaters.

Off the top of my head, Kristi Yamaguchi comes to mind. I remember seeing one of her best performances at the 1992 US Nationals in person, where, after landing 7 triples in the free, she barely broke a sweat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNs1esR0_Y

2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Making the hard look really easy: Grishuk/Platov.

3. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

gordeeva/grinkov were always praised for making everything look effortless despite the difficulty and the huge size difference. gordeeva herself is still praised for such. it takes a special strength and talent to make difficult things look easy.

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I agree with all above. For me Yuna Kim comes the closest to those great skaters mentioned. And let's face it. She's the only one to be praised for her effortlessness on ice by skating/non-skating media around the world in recent history of FS-hello, remember the olympics and worlds09? She absolutely qualifies for the list of skaters who make difficult things look so easy no matter what she does on the ice.

5. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

G&P, G&G, and Yuna Kim, what all these skaters mentioned above have in common is great skating skills. IMO, ability to create natural flow over the ice serves as a foudation for making all the moves effortless.

6. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Whenever I think of difficult moves looking "easy" I think of Kwan. She was the master of that, especially in her prime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FehcN5tiuo

"Ease of movement" was one of the criteria for high presentation marks in the old system, and I can't think of anyone who moved through her elements with more ease than Michelle.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I agree, and Gordeeva&Grinkov were the first to come to my mind.
    It's a question of lightness. Patrick Chan is now someone very special in that regard.

8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Just wonderful.
    She has such an amazing ability to shape her skating talents into a wonderful package of a performance.

Whenever I watch her skate, I worry that I might get tired of it, but thankfully I never to.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Michelle, Sasha, YuNa, Joannie, Laura, Caro and Mao especially her exhibitions. These ladies imo have great effortless flow across the ice and imo do not skate like they are connecting the dots.

10. miki88

miki88 New Member

I should also add Lu Chen and Kurt Browning as skaters who made intricate choreography look effortless.

11. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

I would also mention Klimova & Ponomarenko. Their programs always had such an amazing range of steps, edges, handholds, etc but they were so smooth and effortless. The best example might be their famous 1987 OSP (Viennese Waltz) which was made into the Golden Waltz compulsory dance. Many ice dancers say that it's harder than an entire free dance.

12. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

IMO, the "new" effortless pair are the Shibutanis. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain that effortlessness as they take on more difficult choreography and increased speed over time.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I think effortless skating is what I'm looking for when I watch a skater. The ease in the moves, the flowless technic are what make a skater interesting to watch. That way I feel the artistry better and that transcends the sport.
    G&G, Yu Na Kim, G&P, K&P, Torvill & Dean also as well as Mao Asada and some other I forget, are all very "easy" to watch because they just skate like they breath.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

When skaters reach the level where their moves look "effortless"; the difficulty of what they do isn't always appreciated.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Plushenko's quad toe always looked effortless, so the difficulty was underestimated.

I would add Yuka Sato's footwork and B&S's connecting moves (too many to list here) looked so effortless that they were considered easy.

16. periperi

periperi New Member

The first two skaters that popped into my head when I finished reading the OP were Takahiko Kozuka and Carolina Kostner.

17. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

They certainly didn't show it at last year's Worlds. :confused:
    Nevertheless, I do like them and would like to see how they develop over next few years. :)

18. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Miss Asada's jumps have been quite painful to watch for last couple of years though.
    She does have nice bouncy knees but knee action isn't exactly my definition of effortless skating. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. ;)

19. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

They were wonderful too. :swoon:
    I have seen numerous GW over the years performed by best ice dance teams of respective eras, but still haven't seen one that can match that of K&P.

20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

As for making things look difficult I'd nominate Butyrskaya. Her jumps never looked easy. Doesn't mean I don't love her skating though.

21. miki88

miki88 New Member

What is your definition of effortless skating? Just curious~~;)

22. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Yes, she had lots of other wonderful qualities. :)

23. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Great use of edges, flow over the ice, nice posture, all without too much upper body action. :)

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And also quality.

Such as Kwan's and Kozuka's stroking; Czisny's spins; Takahashi's movement across the ice; Oda's overall skating (OK, except steps and jump counting)...

25. miki88

miki88 New Member

Ah, I see. They aren't extraordinary criteria after all. But I guess you just apply them selectively. ;)

26. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Are you wondering why Miss Asada didn't make my list, by any chance? ;)

I think strength of her skating lies in her soft knees, but I feel that she relies on it too much rather than getting the most out of her edges. Some people may find vertical body action that results from this tendency interesting, but it isn't my cup of tea.

27. miki88

miki88 New Member

:lol: No, I just want to get to know your thoughts better. No sarcasm intended. I'm in a good mood today. :)

28. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I'd nominate Emily Hughes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated her energy and attack, but the girl certainly let you know she was muscling through most of her elements.

Today, I feel that 99% of Lv4 spins and footwork look far from effortless which is a real shame IMO.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  29. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

It depends on the elements. Yuna makes speed and a triple-triple combo look easy. Sasha and Michelle had effortless spirals. Alissa and Stephane have spins. Patrick and Takahiko make deep edges look natural.

If we're including all elements, I don't know if any skaters have effortless skating overall. Everyone has a weakness in something.

30. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

On the top of my head, Shizuka Arakawa comes to my mind, as well as Yuka Sato. Of course, Kim and Kwan as well, but I don't feel so at "ease" watching those 2

In pairs, Elena and Anton, though they're inconsistent they seemed to skate on air. It was breathtaking.

I too agree with K&P, and I'm sort of discovering G&P right now. I couldn't get them when I was younger and I thought their results was part of :blocjudge, but they're amazing and technically the strongest ice dancers ever, imho

I'll go with Kozuka too. I just think he's so natural...and Robin Cousins, amazing flow and ease