Diets! EEK!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Holley Calmes, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I gained 10 pounds in my 40s that I can't take off, or not easily. I can eat little, and lose no weight, and eat a lot, and gain no weight. My body seems to want to say where it is and I don't the energy or commitment to focus on dieting. Kudus to all those who do.

2. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

If all you need to lose is 10 pounds, Japanfan, you're just perfect! Enjoy life. But-welcome to middle age. Where you can't take off the fat around your middle.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

You can take some fat off around your middle. But, that is more from exercise than diet. I power walk 3 miles a day, do some light weight lifting, about 150 crunches and (at home) Pilates exercises. In addition, I take a Pilates class twice a week. The core work has made a huge difference in my middle, and my arms and legs look great! I know that if I stop, my body will go back to it's usual shape. This is one area where my OCD is for good :lol:!

4. Holley Calmes

Yep - I'd say OCD! Congrats on all the working out. If my back weren't in such bad shape I could exercise too, but I can't do anything but swim, and the nearest pool is an hour drive each way. My doctor asked me if I wanted to go on disability-that's how bad my back is (severe arthritis, 2 cracked verts, 2 bulging discs, multiple bone spurs.....fun! Not.) No, I'm not going on disability! I can still get around pretty well for normal everyday life. I used to be incredibly active. I danced until I was 30. Then I started running. Then I walked miles and miles...until about 3-4 years ago. I try to get on the treadmill here at home, but after about a week, I'm crippled up. I HATE being this way. But seriously-I don't know if a lifetime of high impact exercise is good. Some people, like my 68 year old husband who runs 5 miles a day, can get away with it. I'm seeing more and more of my contemporaries of both sexes having knee and hip replacements after decades of triathlons, etc. Hmmm. But Cruisin, obviously you're ok. But be aware of your aches and pains. You're younger than me, but it all takes a toll eventually.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Pilates and powerwalking should be fine, they're pretty low-impact. I am seriously not a fan of running, or of any cardio in general. I guess I'm lucky that I have a fast metabolism and I actually need to strength train like a dude to look normal. :lol: When you lift heavy, you really have to pay attention to your form and even be flexible in certain ways to do the exercises safely. I'm even trying to improve my posture finally, because my tight shoulders (from sitting at the computer all day) are impeding my progress on squats. :lol:

My sister is on the lower end of normal weight and was taking glucosamine for knee pain when she was 20 because she was running every day. She got $$$ running shoes and the pain finally went away, but I definitely don't think it's all that good for our body type, long-term.

6. cruisin

Holley, have you considered Pilates? I know you are exposed to it via ballet. It is a great combination of cardio and strength building, but virtually no skeletal impact. I have narrowed disks in my neck, mild arthritis in my lower back, and mild scoliosis. Back hurts all of the time. Got checked out, Dr. said keep doing what I'm doing. The walking helps with my osteopina and the Pilates helps with flexibility (though I am freakishly flexible, I can still get my knees behind my head!) and muscle strength. I have to say that I feel stronger than I did 20 years ago!

7. Holley Calmes

I'm happy for you Cruisin, and I should look at Pilates. You're right. I wonder if anybody teaches it up here in the mountains? I'm down at the ballet several days a week, so maybe I should get my butt in gear.

Anita18, I also used to lift weights. I had a coach, and I did Gladys Portugese's method, which didn't bulk you up but was definitely sculpting. It's the only sport I've ever been good at, and you know what? It's the most like ballet I've ever experienced. You do sets, you do repetitions. You focus on technique. Lots in common with ballet...well, a least a bit. I was in the best shape of my life. At 5'4" I weighed 135 and wore a size 4. I'm dense-I have more muscle and have always weighed more than I looked. I also despise cardio....:)

8. cruisin

Holley, I strongly encourage you to find a class that uses reformers and spine correctors.

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I like about weightlifting. I enjoy feeling in tune with my body, and lifting heavy allows me to really examine what each part of my body is doing. I mean, I'd have to, because I'm so small-framed that any mistake would cost me dearly. :lol: I just took a week off because I tweaked my shoulder (the bar slipped off my back by about a half an inch, but it was enough to slightly injure me), and am carefully getting back on the horse, picking apart my form bit by bit.

Having a trainer bark at me while I suffer mindlessly through a spin class is definitely not my idea of fun. :lol: I need that being-one-with-my-body zen while doing something challenging!

10. Holley Calmes

Yeah, I remember all those years ago when aerobics first started and we suffered through endless classes with the cheerleader types whose only desire was to prove to you how much more fit she was than you. Gak. Thank God for fitness alternatives.