Diets! EEK!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Holley Calmes, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I used to make carrot pickles, and I don't believe those called for much salt. Or is the problem the fermentation process? Anyway, maybe you can browse here for inspiration (scroll down for the pickles).

I also make my own cucumber pickles (much better than store-bought!), but since I use a salt brine rather than vinegar, that will clearly not work for you...
  2. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Mr Antmanb (a yorkshireman) makes "Yorkshire Salad" which is just cucumber thinly sliced, onions thinky sliced and drowned in vinegar - left of ra couple of hours and then eaten (with a traditional sunday roast weirdly enough!). I like the salad even though I'm not normally a fan of cucumber.
  3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

My favorite coleslaw is the kind made with a boiled dressing of vinegar, sugar, and oil. You pour it hot over the cabbage, onions, and carrots and let it sit. So good. I suppose the sugar would have to be omitted for this diet but to me it's totally worth it.
  4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Ooh, that sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe? I hate mayo coleslaw but that sounds divine!
  5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Yep! Doing this. LOVE them. Got cooked mushrooms marinating in vinegar as well. Yumsters. Thanks for the thought!
  6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Yes I do, and it's easy.

Sweet and sour coleslaw
    Serves: 4-6
    1 small head cabbage, shredded
    1 small or 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
    1-2 carrots, julienned
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. celery seed or dill

Place cabbage, onions, and carrots in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, put in oil, sugar, vinegar, and all the seasonings. Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Once it's boiling, shut off the heat and pour over the cabbage mixture. Toss to combine. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
    It's a pretty old recipe from a tattered Southern Living cookbook.
  7. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

8. Holley Calmes

OK...5.5 weeks...15.5 pounds lost and 9.75" off bust/hips/waist combined. I'm learning to deal with this. Even had a glass of wine today. Feel fine. Hmm. Maybe I can do this after all.
    Jayar, purple skates, manhn and 3 others like this.
  9. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Getting my hair colored yesterday I ran across this Marie Claire article from May, about juice cleanses: http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/news/cleansings-dirty-secret. They are implicated in eating disorders -- and the weight rarely stays off anyway. Not recommended.

I'm fighting the same six or seven pounds I've been fighting for the last three years. Obviously it's not a health issue, just an appearance one, but nothing works for me like writing down (inputting) everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I don't eat a lot at a meal, and I can be in a house with a pile of junk food and only nibble away at it, but I will snack all day if I'm not aware of what I'm eating.
  10. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I had to lose 30 pounds for my operation and the first twenty I did very slowly, about 2 pounds a week primarily using myfitness pal and being accountable.. but the last ten pounds was after I got back from a month in europe so had to lose it quick.. did the military diet on Tues, Weds, Thurs.. then my regular pre surgery diet the other days.. lost the final ten pounds over two week.. I think the military diet is a stupid diet but it really does work in fact my brother has lost thirty pounds on it over the past two months just doing it during the week.. my issue now is I MUST keep the weight off but can't exercise yet so will go back to my old standby of myfitness pal and eat six small meals a day - heavy on the protein and veg and light on the carbs.. works for me.. Some yummy low carb snacks include: roasted Kale chips and portabello mushroom pizza's in the oven.. lettuce wrap ham sandwiches heavy on the english mustard.. yumm..
  11. Holley Calmes

I've heard a lot about the Military Diet. I know quite a few who have done it successfully. I really don't know a lot about it. My diet is also big on protein and veggies and few starches. Some fruit and some dairy. Pretty balanced, actually, but it seems to be working.

PRLady...I hear you. I think it's just metabolism. You get to a point in life and your body wants to weigh a certain amount no matter what you do. 7 pounds doesn't sound too bad though! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I am excited-I have gone down a size. Back to a 12. I was never in plus sizes, but I'm not tall and I have small bones, so...I still have a ways to go.
  12. PRlady

I think I cared less before I had breast reduction. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm pear-shaped! (There's a downside to everything.) In order to get the bottom half to match the smaller top half, I have to lose that weight. Because every single pounds goes to the middle and nowhere else. If it spread itself out, I could live with it.

Fortunately things are speeding up at work. I lose weight under stress, my metabolism goes adrenaline-junkie and I burn more calories. That might not be healthy but at least it's a useful byproduct.*

* This is the first time the Israeli-Palestinian peace process can be credited for weight loss. I think.
  13. Zemgirl

The cynic (realist?) in me wonders if this will be the biggest positive effect of the current round of the peace process. But I'll try to be cautiously optimistic.

I don't understand how people can stick to low-carb diets. I would be impossible to deal with if someone took away my carbs.
  14. Holley Calmes

Zemgirl, there are many diets and every individual body is different. Some people lose weight on carbs. I gain weight on carbs. I lose weight with protein, which I love anyway. Is it possible that what we like to eat is actually the best thing for us? Well...within certain parameters.

PRLady, I hear you about the boobs. That's the first place I lose-my face and my boobs. My bras are loose (yay!) and I'm not top heavy anymore, but when taking my measurements, it's my chest and waist losing it all. WHY IS THIS? WHY CAN'T I GET SOME OFF MY BUTT?

As for stress, I have Nutcracker auditions coming up within the month, plus back-to-school at the ole ballet company, so I figure 200+ tweens, teens and their moms angsting over dancing roles should up my anxiety level very nicely. Some have Palestinians and Israelis. I have stage moms.
  15. Zemgirl

Oh, I gain weight from eating carbs too, so they're something to be consumed in moderation. But low carb diets pretty much cut them out completely *shudders*. I have a friend who's a weightlifter and she goes through times where she counts fresh veggies as carbs and otherwise eats protein only - that is really not for me.

I tend to crave fresh fruit and vegetables, so I guess my body does know what's good for it :)
  16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I am currently on the Ideal Protein diet-- I am working with my doctor and a coach in tandem. I've lost 31 lbs in 7 weeks, but I was kind of doing it half-heartedly the last two weeks because I was opening a show. I've been fully vested back into it for three days now, and I am excited to see what my weight will be next Thursday when I weigh in again. It's not a difficult plan (truly), but it is expensive. I have 43 lbs to go before I hit my goal, which I am expecting to do by November 1. I've finally been cleared to lift weights (you can't work out for the first several weeks, and are not supposed to push the heart rate because you're not eating enough calories)!!! I find that when I am really hungry, I listen to my coach to drink water, and I've been fine. When I get unbearably hungry, I eat another protein food on the plan. So far so good!!!
  17. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I'm just the opposite. I don't gain weight in my butt or hips. I gain/lose it in my belly and boobs. I could gain 20 pounds and still have no butt or hips, I hate it! I would love a few pounds on my hips!
  18. PRlady

:eek: I think I will stick to the Middle East. I've seen a few episodes of Dance Moms.
  19. Holley Calmes

Well, my Dance Moms aren't nearly as bad as I've heard the show is...BUT...lots of angst and crying and being unhappy. Surely that is worth a pound or two.
  20. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I should be the last person chiming in on a diet thread, but I have to ask......why not just get separates? Or is it mostly an appearance thing?

Because of my weightlifting, my bottom half is now a good size bigger than my top half. (Which doesn't sound that bad, but I have a wide ribcage - my arms are probably 2 sizes smaller than the next smallest part of me!) Finding dresses that can accommodate my hips and butt means there will be huge gaps where the chest and sleeves are. I've relegated myself to looking like Chun Li, if I want to continue weightlifting, and of course I do. And buying separates. :lol:

:lol:

:rofl:

I could gain 20 lbs and my arms would still be sticks and I would still be flat. :lol: It all goes on my thighs and butt. It's hilarious how different our bodies can be.
  21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I gained 10 pounds in my 40s that I can't take off, or not easily. I can eat little, and lose no weight, and eat a lot, and gain no weight. My body seems to want to say where it is and I don't the energy or commitment to focus on dieting. Kudus to all those who do.
  22. Holley Calmes

If all you need to lose is 10 pounds, Japanfan, you're just perfect! Enjoy life. But-welcome to middle age. Where you can't take off the fat around your middle.
  23. cruisin

You can take some fat off around your middle. But, that is more from exercise than diet. I power walk 3 miles a day, do some light weight lifting, about 150 crunches and (at home) Pilates exercises. In addition, I take a Pilates class twice a week. The core work has made a huge difference in my middle, and my arms and legs look great! I know that if I stop, my body will go back to it's usual shape. This is one area where my OCD is for good :lol:!
  24. Holley Calmes

Yep - I'd say OCD! Congrats on all the working out. If my back weren't in such bad shape I could exercise too, but I can't do anything but swim, and the nearest pool is an hour drive each way. My doctor asked me if I wanted to go on disability-that's how bad my back is (severe arthritis, 2 cracked verts, 2 bulging discs, multiple bone spurs.....fun! Not.) No, I'm not going on disability! I can still get around pretty well for normal everyday life. I used to be incredibly active. I danced until I was 30. Then I started running. Then I walked miles and miles...until about 3-4 years ago. I try to get on the treadmill here at home, but after about a week, I'm crippled up. I HATE being this way. But seriously-I don't know if a lifetime of high impact exercise is good. Some people, like my 68 year old husband who runs 5 miles a day, can get away with it. I'm seeing more and more of my contemporaries of both sexes having knee and hip replacements after decades of triathlons, etc. Hmmm. But Cruisin, obviously you're ok. But be aware of your aches and pains. You're younger than me, but it all takes a toll eventually.
  25. Anita18

Pilates and powerwalking should be fine, they're pretty low-impact. I am seriously not a fan of running, or of any cardio in general. I guess I'm lucky that I have a fast metabolism and I actually need to strength train like a dude to look normal. :lol: When you lift heavy, you really have to pay attention to your form and even be flexible in certain ways to do the exercises safely. I'm even trying to improve my posture finally, because my tight shoulders (from sitting at the computer all day) are impeding my progress on squats. :lol:

My sister is on the lower end of normal weight and was taking glucosamine for knee pain when she was 20 because she was running every day. She got $$$ running shoes and the pain finally went away, but I definitely don't think it's all that good for our body type, long-term.
  26. cruisin

Holley, have you considered Pilates? I know you are exposed to it via ballet. It is a great combination of cardio and strength building, but virtually no skeletal impact. I have narrowed disks in my neck, mild arthritis in my lower back, and mild scoliosis. Back hurts all of the time. Got checked out, Dr. said keep doing what I'm doing. The walking helps with my osteopina and the Pilates helps with flexibility (though I am freakishly flexible, I can still get my knees behind my head!) and muscle strength. I have to say that I feel stronger than I did 20 years ago!
  27. Holley Calmes

I'm happy for you Cruisin, and I should look at Pilates. You're right. I wonder if anybody teaches it up here in the mountains? I'm down at the ballet several days a week, so maybe I should get my butt in gear.

Anita18, I also used to lift weights. I had a coach, and I did Gladys Portugese's method, which didn't bulk you up but was definitely sculpting. It's the only sport I've ever been good at, and you know what? It's the most like ballet I've ever experienced. You do sets, you do repetitions. You focus on technique. Lots in common with ballet...well, a least a bit. I was in the best shape of my life. At 5'4" I weighed 135 and wore a size 4. I'm dense-I have more muscle and have always weighed more than I looked. I also despise cardio....:)
  28. cruisin

Holley, I strongly encourage you to find a class that uses reformers and spine correctors.
  29. Anita18

That's exactly what I like about weightlifting. I enjoy feeling in tune with my body, and lifting heavy allows me to really examine what each part of my body is doing. I mean, I'd have to, because I'm so small-framed that any mistake would cost me dearly. :lol: I just took a week off because I tweaked my shoulder (the bar slipped off my back by about a half an inch, but it was enough to slightly injure me), and am carefully getting back on the horse, picking apart my form bit by bit.

Having a trainer bark at me while I suffer mindlessly through a spin class is definitely not my idea of fun. :lol: I need that being-one-with-my-body zen while doing something challenging!
  30. Holley Calmes

Yeah, I remember all those years ago when aerobics first started and we suffered through endless classes with the cheerleader types whose only desire was to prove to you how much more fit she was than you. Gak. Thank God for fitness alternatives.