Diets! EEK!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Holley Calmes, Jul 4, 2013.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i make french fries out of zucchini pretty regularly. just slice them into whatever shape you like your fries, season however, ive been using old bay, and bake.

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I understand now why you wrote that you're not hungry, but you are bored. It sounds quite limiting - but I guess that's just for the first phase? I wish I could help more with recipes but it's so unlike how I eat (sort of vegetarian-Mediterranean) that I am really at a loss. Maybe you can have roasted veggies with some balsamic? Would that work? And of course, salads in all shapes and forms (I love salads).

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I love tomatoes sliced up in a cup with balsamic vinegar.

But I really love balsamic vinegar :lol:

4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I do that sometimes when I run out of fresh mozzarella for caprese salad and have a bunch of tomatoes to use up. Cut up tomatoes, sprinkle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Very delicious. You could easily omit the olive oil and not notice.

5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I could drink vinegar right from the bottle, and yes-I can have it! I am playing with tomatoes and mushrooms and vinegar. I ate a bunch of sliced cukes with lemon juice the other day and didn't gag...not a joke. Sometimes my gag reflex happens with any green thing. I went to a wedding this weekend in another state and actually stayed on the diet the whole weekend...so...And thanks My Little Pony for the zuke fries. That sounds awesome! I'll try those tomorrow. I can mix up a batch of Cajun spice without the salt. Thanks!!!

6. michiruwater

Thinly sliced cucumbers in rice vinegar are amazing :)

7. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

As a blood bank technologist, I can assure you that the blood type diet is complete nonsense.

8. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Count me in as someone who does not believe in diets but in the "lifestyle change" concept. I was told a year ago that I was teetering on the edge of type II diabetes. It scared the shit out of me, and was the kick in the ass I needed to start making some drastic changes. Since then I've dropped 80 pounds, just by eating smarter and getting regular exercise. I need to drop more, but I'm proud of myself for getting this far. I have substantially decreased the amount of starches I eat, but I don't omit them entirely. I just learned to start making better choices. And if I want to splurge, I do, then I work it off later. I can't even imagine going back to the way I used to eat. I don't even like the crap I used to shove in my face anymore.
    And something I like to do sometimes is make a sort of hash with a little bit of potato, chicken or chicken sausage, and a ton of spinach. Pretty tasty and filling.

9. Zemgirl

Try a Middle Eastern style chopped vegetable salad - this would be called either Israeli salad or Arab(ic) salad, depending on who's doing the writing... You can play around with the vegetables and just skip the olive oil, it'll be okay without it. If you can get zaatar, that's a good addition to such salads in place of some of the oil.

Do you do any pickling? For someone who likes tart and vinegary things, it might be a good idea :)

10. Holley Calmes

I LOVE pickles. I can drink pickle juice out of the jar. Pickles have too much sodium for this diet, but I am planning on drowning myself in mushrooms and cukes with vinegar. Good thought.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Zemgirl

I used to make carrot pickles, and I don't believe those called for much salt. Or is the problem the fermentation process? Anyway, maybe you can browse here for inspiration (scroll down for the pickles).

I also make my own cucumber pickles (much better than store-bought!), but since I use a salt brine rather than vinegar, that will clearly not work for you...

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Mr Antmanb (a yorkshireman) makes "Yorkshire Salad" which is just cucumber thinly sliced, onions thinky sliced and drowned in vinegar - left of ra couple of hours and then eaten (with a traditional sunday roast weirdly enough!). I like the salad even though I'm not normally a fan of cucumber.

13. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

My favorite coleslaw is the kind made with a boiled dressing of vinegar, sugar, and oil. You pour it hot over the cabbage, onions, and carrots and let it sit. So good. I suppose the sugar would have to be omitted for this diet but to me it's totally worth it.

14. michiruwater

Ooh, that sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe? I hate mayo coleslaw but that sounds divine!

15. Holley Calmes

Yep! Doing this. LOVE them. Got cooked mushrooms marinating in vinegar as well. Yumsters. Thanks for the thought!

16. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Yes I do, and it's easy.

Sweet and sour coleslaw
    Serves: 4-6
    1 small head cabbage, shredded
    1 small or 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
    1-2 carrots, julienned
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. celery seed or dill

Place cabbage, onions, and carrots in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, put in oil, sugar, vinegar, and all the seasonings. Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Once it's boiling, shut off the heat and pour over the cabbage mixture. Toss to combine. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
    It's a pretty old recipe from a tattered Southern Living cookbook.

17. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

18. Holley Calmes

OK...5.5 weeks...15.5 pounds lost and 9.75" off bust/hips/waist combined. I'm learning to deal with this. Even had a glass of wine today. Feel fine. Hmm. Maybe I can do this after all.

Jayar, purple skates, manhn and 3 others like this.
  19. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Getting my hair colored yesterday I ran across this Marie Claire article from May, about juice cleanses: http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/news/cleansings-dirty-secret. They are implicated in eating disorders -- and the weight rarely stays off anyway. Not recommended.

I'm fighting the same six or seven pounds I've been fighting for the last three years. Obviously it's not a health issue, just an appearance one, but nothing works for me like writing down (inputting) everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I don't eat a lot at a meal, and I can be in a house with a pile of junk food and only nibble away at it, but I will snack all day if I'm not aware of what I'm eating.

20. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I had to lose 30 pounds for my operation and the first twenty I did very slowly, about 2 pounds a week primarily using myfitness pal and being accountable.. but the last ten pounds was after I got back from a month in europe so had to lose it quick.. did the military diet on Tues, Weds, Thurs.. then my regular pre surgery diet the other days.. lost the final ten pounds over two week.. I think the military diet is a stupid diet but it really does work in fact my brother has lost thirty pounds on it over the past two months just doing it during the week.. my issue now is I MUST keep the weight off but can't exercise yet so will go back to my old standby of myfitness pal and eat six small meals a day - heavy on the protein and veg and light on the carbs.. works for me.. Some yummy low carb snacks include: roasted Kale chips and portabello mushroom pizza's in the oven.. lettuce wrap ham sandwiches heavy on the english mustard.. yumm..

21. Holley Calmes

I've heard a lot about the Military Diet. I know quite a few who have done it successfully. I really don't know a lot about it. My diet is also big on protein and veggies and few starches. Some fruit and some dairy. Pretty balanced, actually, but it seems to be working.

PRLady...I hear you. I think it's just metabolism. You get to a point in life and your body wants to weigh a certain amount no matter what you do. 7 pounds doesn't sound too bad though! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I am excited-I have gone down a size. Back to a 12. I was never in plus sizes, but I'm not tall and I have small bones, so...I still have a ways to go.

22. PRlady

I think I cared less before I had breast reduction. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm pear-shaped! (There's a downside to everything.) In order to get the bottom half to match the smaller top half, I have to lose that weight. Because every single pounds goes to the middle and nowhere else. If it spread itself out, I could live with it.

Fortunately things are speeding up at work. I lose weight under stress, my metabolism goes adrenaline-junkie and I burn more calories. That might not be healthy but at least it's a useful byproduct.*

* This is the first time the Israeli-Palestinian peace process can be credited for weight loss. I think.

23. Zemgirl

The cynic (realist?) in me wonders if this will be the biggest positive effect of the current round of the peace process. But I'll try to be cautiously optimistic.

I don't understand how people can stick to low-carb diets. I would be impossible to deal with if someone took away my carbs.

24. Holley Calmes

Zemgirl, there are many diets and every individual body is different. Some people lose weight on carbs. I gain weight on carbs. I lose weight with protein, which I love anyway. Is it possible that what we like to eat is actually the best thing for us? Well...within certain parameters.

PRLady, I hear you about the boobs. That's the first place I lose-my face and my boobs. My bras are loose (yay!) and I'm not top heavy anymore, but when taking my measurements, it's my chest and waist losing it all. WHY IS THIS? WHY CAN'T I GET SOME OFF MY BUTT?

As for stress, I have Nutcracker auditions coming up within the month, plus back-to-school at the ole ballet company, so I figure 200+ tweens, teens and their moms angsting over dancing roles should up my anxiety level very nicely. Some have Palestinians and Israelis. I have stage moms.

25. Zemgirl

Oh, I gain weight from eating carbs too, so they're something to be consumed in moderation. But low carb diets pretty much cut them out completely *shudders*. I have a friend who's a weightlifter and she goes through times where she counts fresh veggies as carbs and otherwise eats protein only - that is really not for me.

I tend to crave fresh fruit and vegetables, so I guess my body does know what's good for it :)

26. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I am currently on the Ideal Protein diet-- I am working with my doctor and a coach in tandem. I've lost 31 lbs in 7 weeks, but I was kind of doing it half-heartedly the last two weeks because I was opening a show. I've been fully vested back into it for three days now, and I am excited to see what my weight will be next Thursday when I weigh in again. It's not a difficult plan (truly), but it is expensive. I have 43 lbs to go before I hit my goal, which I am expecting to do by November 1. I've finally been cleared to lift weights (you can't work out for the first several weeks, and are not supposed to push the heart rate because you're not eating enough calories)!!! I find that when I am really hungry, I listen to my coach to drink water, and I've been fine. When I get unbearably hungry, I eat another protein food on the plan. So far so good!!!

27. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I'm just the opposite. I don't gain weight in my butt or hips. I gain/lose it in my belly and boobs. I could gain 20 pounds and still have no butt or hips, I hate it! I would love a few pounds on my hips!

28. PRlady

:eek: I think I will stick to the Middle East. I've seen a few episodes of Dance Moms.

29. Holley Calmes

Well, my Dance Moms aren't nearly as bad as I've heard the show is...BUT...lots of angst and crying and being unhappy. Surely that is worth a pound or two.

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I should be the last person chiming in on a diet thread, but I have to ask......why not just get separates? Or is it mostly an appearance thing?

Because of my weightlifting, my bottom half is now a good size bigger than my top half. (Which doesn't sound that bad, but I have a wide ribcage - my arms are probably 2 sizes smaller than the next smallest part of me!) Finding dresses that can accommodate my hips and butt means there will be huge gaps where the chest and sleeves are. I've relegated myself to looking like Chun Li, if I want to continue weightlifting, and of course I do. And buying separates. :lol:

:lol:

:rofl:

I could gain 20 lbs and my arms would still be sticks and I would still be flat. :lol: It all goes on my thighs and butt. It's hilarious how different our bodies can be.