Diets! EEK!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Holley Calmes, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

OK, I launched onto a new diet about 2.5 weeks ago. I joined the Quick Weight Loss Center program because I know some people who did it and actually lost weight and kept it off.

I know not every diet works for each person. I was told yesterday by someone (who WAS that??) that since I have type O Positive blood, I don't do well on vegan diets. Well, yeah. I've experienced that.

This diet is much like the South Beach and Neaderthal diet. Lots of lean meat, veggies, fruit, and few starches. I have a list of approved food and amounts of food. At first I didn't know I needed to eat so much-as much as they said. I thought that was a "no more than 7 oz fish" but no, it means you have to eat 7 oz. I haven't been eating enough. It's a 1,200 calorie a day diet which isn't extreme.

The pros: I've lost 10 pounds in 2.5 weeks and 8.5 inches. I have not been hungry, though I have been bored. The supplemental smoothies and protein bars I am required to eat between meals are absolutely delicious and replace the need for sweets. I'm taking vitamins and their prescribed herbal and omega 3-6-9 pills. I'm drinking tons of water. It seems to be extremely healthy, but what's important to me is fast yet safe. Staff is super nice.

The cons: It's expensive. The year-round contract does include three phases: getting the weight off, 6 weeks of stabilization where you bring back other foods, and the rest of the year where you can start over if you backslide, lose more, or just maintain by visiting them and getting their help. All the vitamins and suppliments cost not a lot but it adds up. Worst of all - no wine. I've been 2.5 weeks without any alcohol, but I really haven't missed it after about the first 3 days.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks....this seems to be working, though it's slowed a bit. Any thoughts?

2. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

What is the main expense on the plan? A fee you pay? I am a firm believer in South Beach style diets based on the glycemic index / carbs - so it sounds like this is similar. You could take the premises they teach you and do it on your own, no?

3. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Holley - boredom is one of the reasons diets don't tend to work - you can't maintain it if you don't enjoy it. Are you doing anything to address the reasons you need/ want a programme to lose weight, as in the reason you are overweight in the first place? Are exercise/non-food based things part of the programme?

I'm not a fan if quick weight loss - I think it takes time to address all of the issues and build healthy habits that will actually be able to be enjoyed and maintained. I'm also not a fan of food (chewable food) substitutes like smoothies.

ETA: You can't know if someone has kept it off until years down the track IMO. Keeping weight off for two years is great, but many often do put the weight back on. Or they put the reasons they were eating into something else, which never addresses the original issue/s.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Holley Calmes

Thanks for your input, guys. For one thing, I am easily bored, so I don't know if boredom is intrinsic to this particular diet. I love to cook, I love spicy food and hate eating leftovers, so I might not should use the boredom factor in all fairness...

Although it is "quick weight loss..." it isn't as quick as it sounds. 3 pounds a week. Yes, exercise is encouraged, and I am walking again. The smoothies are optional and I am taking advantage of them because they have a chocolate one which is kind of like a treat...they are in no way meal substitutes. All the food is from the grocery. It's just very low fat, no sugar, few starches, and low sodium. I can't find anything about it that I would consider unhealthy. There are many food choices on the approved list...my biggest problem is with vegetables. You're supposed to eat 4 cups of fresh or 2 cups of cooked per day (along with 3 fruit servings.) I just don't like raw vegetables-they make me choke. I can't eat green leafies-I gag and my throat swells up. (It runs in my family.) You also are required to eat lean meat or other protein in larger amounts than I am used to. I'm eating MORE than I normally do.

I'm not really complaining. The reason I'm overweight to begin with is totally my own neglect-I DON'T eat regularly and my metabolism is a mess, so this is really getting me to eat breakfast and at regular, healthy intervals. Plus I drank wine every night. I've quit that! I'm not terribly overweight-no plus sizes-I'm about a size 12 and 5'4". I'd call myself chubby-I've had a few people ask me why I wanted to lose weight - to me it's obvious!

Guess I'm just looking for a discussion on dieting in general. More I can learn...etc.

5. Angelskates

Holley have you spoken to a doctor or dietician about your metabolism? Do you have any food sensitivities?

If you make the raw vegetables into a juice, is that allowed? Could you drink it?

6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I think that's really fast. For me it would be way too fast. I agree with pretty much everything Angelskates said.

I'm not sure I'm a great example, but I decided long ago that it would be better for me to learn to eat like a "normal" person before I worked on actually losing weight. So often we hear about someone who has lost a lot of weight and then cannot maintain it. I think maintaining is the more difficult skill. I have spent most of my life being fat. I finally stopped all the diets and started working on maintaining. My goal is always 1 pound. I exercise 6 days a week (a good walk) and I work on getting enough sleep and eating a good balance of foods. As of this summer I have succeeded in losing 40 pounds in 10 years. That's an average of 4 pounds a year. The thing that's best for me is that I know this weight is really off. I'm not on a roller coaster. I'm still overweight (fat) but I feel good. Every time I lose 1 pound I can feel the difference - something gets better; hips, back, feet; something. If I can keep on the same track - and I think I can - I think I can have a long and healthy life.

Best of luck with your efforts. This is a life long process - one thing learned at a time. Keep trying.

7. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Doesn't the process of chewing your food "encourage" your stomach to produce acid which then aides the metabolism? In that case, drinking smoothies wouldn't be a good solution if the metabolism is all over the place, would it?

And aren't smoothies and protein bars sweets anyway? And contain a lot of calories and fruit sugar which is why athletes eat protein bars as a snack?

8. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I sometimes get the throat swell thing with spinach but I can do Swiss chard and kale with no problem. Vegetables are hard because they take some cooking skill to make tasty. Roasting helps - I roast eggplant , green beans, Brussels sprouts and broccoli. Maybe search for some good recipes. Cooking style really helps with veggies.

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The key to losing weight and keeping it off is finding a diet that not only works but that you're willing to stick to for basically the rest of your life. I can't remember the exact statistic, but over 90% of people who lose a lot of weight gain it all back within 5 years. I remember it being like 96% but I don't want to say that and be wrong. It was in the 90s though. 5 years is the mark, and that's a lot of time to stick to something, especially if you're not enjoying it.

10. Holley Calmes

These are not the smoothies and protein bars like you get in the store. They're specially made-no sugar and definitely not meant as desserts, but they taste pretty good!

I believe if I got into the stabilization phase of this diet and could add some other healthy foods that are not on the losing weight phase of this diet, I'd be ok with it. I've made a commitment not to just lose weight, but to "change forever." It just takes more work to lose the weight, but not gaining it back is something I feel confident I can do. It would be silly to do all this work and then go back to my wicked ways! :)

Anyone have any cool recipes for tomatoes, mushrooms, zuchinni, yellow squash, or green beans that doesn't have sugar or dairy, let me know! Not in combination...those are just the only veggies I can stand that are on the diet. Unfortunately, corn and butterbeans are not on it. Half a baked potato three times a week is, however, and so is a small serving of rice.

11. Angelskates

What about stuffed tomatoes, zucchinis or mushrooms?

Also, fruit etc all have sugar in them...I can see giving up added (white, refined) sugar, but be careful of some of the substitutes - it's better to have natural than chemical. Also, are you giving up dairy?

12. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

I don't think 3 pounds a week is fast. I started dieting last summer, and have been watching my weight regularly ever since. If I spend the weekend eating crap food and drinking alcohol, I can fluctuate 3 pounds like nothing just due to water weight. I lost about 20 lbs in four months last year, essentially just counting calories, and have kept it off other than a 5lb fluctuation here and there. For me, the trick was being accountable (I used a food tracking app), and weighing myself consistently. I know that your weight is only part of the health story, but for me, it's the most easily measurable mark of improvement. And I'm realistic -- I don't panic if there's a slight shift. Until I hit my goal weight, I was weighing myself every day. Now, it's maybe once a week just to stay on track.

I also found that the weight came off fast at first, when I started drinking tons of water and replacing a lot of foods in my diet with vegetables, and that it came off much slower towards the end when I was just working on the last few pounds. As far as I understand, that's normal since you're often making the most drastic change at the start.

13. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I'm on a green veggie juice cleanse. I just completed day 7. No food for 7 days!! I haven't been trying to lose any weight though, but I lost 10 lbs the first 3 days. I'm doing it for other reasons but they're said to be amazing for everyone!

14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I've made spinach smoothies before and they are delicious. It's basically a metric ass ton of baby spinach and some frozen fruit. I like to flavor with fresh mint. I add oat bran sometimes, I've also heard adding wheat germ is good. No sugar added, not even a sweetener like stevia.

It's a great way to get a lot of spinach without choking down yet another spinach salad (I love spinach but salads get old).

15. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Sounds like the Eat Right 4 Your Type Diet,I've used that one several times and it does seem to work but it takes a little bit of time to show results but they are longer lasting. I personally just practice portion control.

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I have O positive blood and I'm a vegetarian bordering on vegan, so I can't imagine any of the high protein/low carb diets would ever work for me. Maybe others would find them better, though. FWIW, I think food culture also comes into play in terms of what people feel comfortable eating on a regular basis in order to lose weight.

I realized last summer I'd gotten to heavy for my liking, so I cut down on carbs, sugar, sweetened drinks and fat - I didn't give up any of these things (except for sugared drinks), just limited my consumption of them, and also stopped eating past a certain hour and started exercising more. It took me a while, but I did lose the weight I wanted and never really felt deprived of any of the things I liked (I continued to eat my daily chocolate, just less of it ;)). My approach was, it took me several years to get to the weight I started at so it would take a bit of time to lose it, too.

If you find something that works for you, maybe it's best just to stick to it - if it's an expensive plan, maybe you can just do a DIY version?

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That's why I liked Weight Watchers best, and it was the only truly successful diet for me - it teaches portion control. I could still drink (a little) Pepsi and have (a small amount) of ice cream.

Counting gets old, though, especially when you're not able to find out calories. I ended up eating a lot of Lean Cuisines. It really, really worked, though, and had I not gotten a fairly serious disease 6 months after starting, I'm sure I would have kept with it.

My problem now is that my appetite is bigger than it should be. My mind keeps telling me eat, eat, eat, and it's just not something I can fight 24/7. One of the nice things about the disease I had was that it really killed my appetite. I used to open my fridge, go "meh", and close it. A friend recommended irvingia gabonensis as a natural appetite suppressant, I might give it a shot.

18. Holley Calmes

No. I have skim milk and cottage cheese I can eat regularly. Cottage cheese not every day, but I can use it as a protein and eat 7 oz at one time. That's a lot! As I have a slight lactose intolerance, this is really good for me because I adore cheese. I used to get upset tummy pretty often-nothing serious or worthy of a doctor trip-but since I started this diet, my digestive system has been great.

And we have lots of fruit, just not bananas, pears, and mangoes. Never met a fruit I didn't like. I get 3 packs of Splenda a day. The idea is to put as little sugar and starch in your system as possible in order to burn protein. Thanks for all your suggestions! I think they limit Splenda to keep you from craving sweets, which I don't too much. Sodium is my nemesis.

19. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

So far the thing I've found out about diets is that everyone is an expert and publishes their results as THE. NEXT. BEST. THING. There are a number of general rules that people seem to agree on and then after that every diet and plan that tries to stand out from the crowd has its own gimic or catch, and it may or may not work for you as an individual.

If you are serious about losing and maitaining weight I cannot recommend enough hiring professionals to work with you one to one, to run tests, to work out how your body ticks, to experiment with different ways of eating and seeing how your body responds and getting the professionals to work out a plan for the individual you, rather than the generalised stuff that's pushed in faddy plans and diets. You can happen upon things that work, and you can even read the science behind people's ideas for these diets, but unless your body works in the same way as the people who were tested on these specific diets then there's no guarantee they will work for you.

20. Zemgirl

I really agree with this. I wasn't trying to lose that much weight, so I was okay on my own, but often it really is best to work with a professional to figure out what diet - short-term and long-term - is the best fit for your body and your needs.

Also, exercise: not only does it burn calories, every minute you are working out is a minute in which you are not sitting and snacking. And like the diet, it's all about finding the right kind for you (this, um, took me a while :shuffle:).

One common suggestion that has never worked for me is to a eat a good breakfast. I eventually came to realize that what I eat for breakfast has no effect on what I eat the rest of the day, so I might as well save myself the calories and have a breakfast snack and not a proper meal. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning anyway.

21. antmanb

This a thousand times over! "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" Except I'm not hungry first thing in the morning ever unless I've had an unusually large work out the day before and not eaten enough to fuel it. Given that I am not hungry and don't snack on anything until lunch time, what's wrong with that? Many "experts" say I should force food down for breakfast because it is SO. IMPORTANT. The professionals just said - if you're not hungry don't eat!

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Diets don't work in general and are a fundamentally flawed and counter-productive concept. Either change your lifestyle so that you eat more healthily in general and include some kind of exercise or don't bother. By dieting you only create 'forbidden fruit' mentality, if your diet explicitly forbids certain things, this will only stimulate your imagination. ;) There is nothing wrong with eating some junk food every now and then as long as you burn that off (and that doesn't have to mean going to the gym that nobody can be bothered with, simple things like vacuiming or taking the stairs instead of the lift can do. Another thing with diets, when you go back to your previous habits, you're going to re-gain the lost weight again.

Rapid weight loss is unhealthy. Pretty much all of the fad diets (with the exceptions of a few like South Beach) are not good for you. You're depriving your body of what it needs, starving yourself, which makes you more liable to get cravings and to regain weight afterwards (as your body can switch to starvation mode, making your metabolism slow down). A good example of this is the anti-fat approach of most diets. Most people don't seem to realise that you need fat in order to digest food properly. Pretty much every single meal should include liquid, plant oils. And then you have the recently popular low carb diets, which are extremely dangerous because in the long-term they end up weakening your bones. Instead of looking for diets, I'd just look at the food pyramid, which is an accepted standard in nutrition science and plan meals based on it. I can find it anywhere online so going to copy it from my Health Psychology lecture slides:

- most meals should include plant oils and whole grain foods.
    - vegetables in abundance, fruit 2-3 times a day
    - nuts and legumes 1-3 times a day
    - fish, poultry, eggs 0-2 times a day
    - dairy or calcium supplement 1-2 times a day
    - everything else should be used sparingly

You should chew your food because your stomach doesn't have any teeth. So the more you chew, the easier it will be digested. Also, digestion starts in your mouth. By chewing, you are producing more saliva, which mixes with the food and starts digesting it.

Far more importantly, it keeps your metabolism going. If you don't have any exercise, the excess blood sugar gets converted into fat. If you have some kind of exercise throughout the day, you prevent that from happening. It doesn't have to be anything major. A short walk after dinner can make a big difference.

If you don't eat regular meals, your body sugar level drops down and your body eventually goes into starvation mode, slowing down your metabolism. This makes you more liable to get cravings and when you do eventually eat, it is going to get converted into fat very quickly.

So even if you aren't hungry in the morning, I would suggest to eat a little bit, just to keep your metabolism going. A piece of fruit will do.

23. antmanb

In general - this might be true for a number of people, it might even be true for the majority of people. It is not true for me. This is why I cannot emphasise enough, that general advice on nutrition, diet and exercise, is all good and well but is no substitute for proper indivusalised advice and plans.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Lack of blood sugar gets detected and the brain sends a signal to the body to start storing fat, so metabolism slows down. I fail to see how this very basic mechanism could not be true for you.

I mean everybody is different, some neural pathways could not be working correctly but even if that's the case it's not something we are able to diagnose individually.

Who said that? It's definitely not true. Smoking is an appetite suppressant. So is stress. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat regularly.

25. antmanb

Because that is not true, at least in the simplistic form you have stated it is not true and it's certainly not true for everyone. It is not that black and white, and the body doesn't make adaptations in an instant or like a switch is flipped. Adaptations in the body do not happen instantly or at the same rate in every single person. "Starvation mode" is not this black and white, on or off state that every single body enters in exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

There have been loads of studies that show the effect of periodised fasting during a 24 hour period (not eating for blocks of X hours at a time, but never going beyond 20-24 hours) and the effect it has on the body and on different bodies. The only true way to test this for an individual is to have them experiment with this for themselves.

Indeed, but not eating breakfast does not cause me to store fat, that's the only fact that matters to me as an individual.

Nutritionists, personal trainers and doctors. I don't smoke and I'm not stressed. Not being hungry first thing in the morning is nothing new, I've always been that way my entire life since I was baby apparently (more information that i can provide to professionals who can also respond to this information). When you get proper individual advice for your own circumstances you can assess for yourself which parts of the generalist advice out there may or may not apply to you. Which is why the only point i'm making is that if you truly want to help yourself lose weight and maintain it, individual plans and assessments are the best way to go since generalist advice is just that and may not apply to you in the same way as it applies to anyone (or even everyone) else.

26. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I actuallylike vegetables. I'm thinking of trying a slightly modified version of the paleo diet -- mostly because I want to try cutting out all grains, but also because it allows lots of vegetables and fruit. The real problem I have with a diet heavy on vegetables is that that they don't always make for quick and convenient meals and I tend not to want hot food in the summer, which eliminates some options for me.

Mushrooms seem like a great option on a diet to lose weight because they are filling. Plus, I really like them and even like them cold. Try adding them to scramble eggs. Also, tried grilled portabello mushrooms. IMO, they're a great substitute for burgers. Also, consider including mushrooms in salads. You can add sliced musthrooms to a tossed salad. Also, you can roast or grill mushrooms, squash, and zuchhini and use them as a hot side dish or let them cool for a roasted veggie salad. You also can use marinated mushrooms to make a salad with cherry tomatoes. Just choose your favorite vinaigrette. If you like olives, artichoke hearts, or avocado and your diet allows them, throw those in as well to make the salad a little more filling.

Also, count me as someone who usually isn't interested in eating first thing in the morning. We're all different, and what is right for one person isn't necessarily right for another person. (IMO, the best doctors also realize that and don't give every patient the exact same advice about diet.)

27. Zemgirl

Beans and zucchini can be sauteed in olive oil (I'd blanch the beans first), that's really delicious. Throw in broccoli too, if that's allowed. You can also just toss pretty much everything you've listed in a bit of olive oil and herbs and roast it.

Is barley allowed? Mushroom-barley soup might be a good option, if so. Soups in general can be made to fit whatever restrictions are part of one's diet. Just turn on the AC if it's too hot for soup ;)

I live for carbs, so that's pretty much the best I can do...

28. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Those popular little white mushrooms at the super market? They're amazing roasted. Sometimes I'll buy a little carton of them, wash and prepare them, and then put them in a small baking dish with a little bit of olive oil and some salt and roast them for 30 min or so. They're amazing, I'll eat them like candy.

29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Are you allowed olive oil? If so, sauté some onion & garlic, then add diced tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans. A pinch of salt and pepper. If allowed a pinch of grated Romano cheese on top

30. Holley Calmes

Well, you guys have such great suggestions! I can't have olive oil or any cheese, except occasional cottage cheese, but everything sounds great! I do absolutely adore mushrooms, and I am in danger of turning into one because I've been eating so many of them. I love sour stuff, too, so I've been pouring lemon juice all over everything. Cooked mushrooms and vinegar with chopped garlic-I could eat every day! I am using spray Pam instead of oils. Normally, I'm an olive oil fiend.....But thanks everybody! Lots of you I've tried to give rep to but they say I have to wait because evidently I give you rep a lot... :)