Did Elina Kettunen ever skate to...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SmallFairy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Ok my fellow FSUers, who's always answers any question one might have:D

I'm watching the mr.Bean movie right now, yup, it's on telly...the first one, that's only called "Bean", and seriously....someone skated to the music from this movie!! I have to know who, does anyone remember?

A voice in my head says it was Elina Kettunen...

If I don't find out, I don't think I'll sleep tonight! (and the movie isn't any good either:lol:)

Thank you for any help occuring this most important question!!

2. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

3. SmallFairy

wheee thanks!! I had forgot how fast she was, and how good her basics were! she retired far to early!

4. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

yes i love that programme from kettunen.

love the telegraphed jumps :rollin:

that skate put her on the olympic team ... leaving susanna poykio at home :(

but it also meant that ultimately all the great finnish skaters (alisa drei, poykio, kettunen, lepisto, korpi) have skated in the olympics at some point

5. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Thank you, Millyskate and SmallFairy!
    Kettunen was 5th and Pöykiö 6th in 2002 Europeans, so Kettunen went to the Olys and Pöykiö to the Worlds that year.

We were hoping for a medal next year in Malmö, but it did not happen. 2001-2002 was Kettunen´s best season. And as Kelvster said, Pöykiö went to Olys, 2006, she broght thh first ladies´medal to Finns 2005 etc. I guess Kettunen just lost the fire for figure skating 2003-2004, there was other things in her life.

You really did know looong beforehand which jump Kettunen was preparing to. But I really liked her sportive style.

She is now married, mother of two kids, looks still very fit and seems to be happy with her life.

Yours truly is hiding under the Finnish flag in the end, my friend´s arm and shoulder show a little;)

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I lurrrrrrrrrrved Kettunen and that LP.

7. SmallFairy

I can't believe I had "forgot" about that program, I was even there live too!! Too bad we didn't meet up Finnice:)

I remember how both Finnish girls did really well, and how great things was expected from them in Malmö. Susanna wore that magnificent red dress, and Alisa Drei skated the long program of her life, after crashing on the lutz in the short, almost injuring herself.

Great memories!!

I'm so happy to hear news about Elina, I'm really glad she's well with her family!:)

8. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

I liked Elina way more than Susanna back then! I was so sad when she retired. Didn't she have some sort of problem with her coach-situation?

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Her coach Susanna Haarala (who now coaches Kiira Korpi with Maaret Siromaa) moved to Tampere, and Kettunen did not want to follow, because of her studies etc. She never really settled with other coaches.

SmallFairy, we shall meet some time, I hope!

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I don't remember that program from Elina, but I liked her skating !

11. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

yes, great memories indeed ...

susanna's programme (to spellbound concerto & un sospiro), choreographed by Henrik Valentin, was an absolute masterpiece. too bad that that was the only time i saw it being performed ... even with all the falls / mistakes, it was still v. beautiful. i wonder if she's ever skated that programme cleanly ...

alisa drei's emotional skate was also memorable too .. i just rewatched it on youtube the other day ...

12. matti

matti Active Member

Hey, your identity has been revealed! You're a former Tango King of Finland, n'est-ce pas? ;)

13. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Wrong answer.

14. matti

matti Active Member

Really? Oh well, I think my guess is close enough! :p