Did anyone else ever have their coat stolen during the winter?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by siberia82, Jan 5, 2011.

1. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Someone stole my coat and my gloves from my psychologist's office earlier today. :angryfire There is a closet in the waiting room, and I noticed my stuff was missing after the appointment. I searched the entire clinic to be sure (my shrink shares his office with a couple of medical doctors), but my belongings were nowhere to found. :(

I had to file a police report, and luckily my psychologist gave me money for cab fare so I wouldn't freeze to death while waiting for the bus. (I don't have a car.) The thief, whoever s/he is, clearly didn't give a rat's ass whether or not I could make it home in the dead of winter without a coat or gloves. :rolleyes:

I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience. Maybe the recession has made people more desperate or something, but I'm quite surprised that there are folks out there who actually look through waiting room closets in search for things to steal. :blah: I lived in Canada all of my life, and this is the first time I've been robbed at a clinic.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not. I believe the thieves of the world have better tastes than to steal my coat! :D

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I believe if that happened, I'd probably assume the person really needed a coat. If my money and keys were in it though, and they didn't leave that, then I'd be pissed.

Sorry that happened to you :(

4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Both of my daughters had their jackets stolen from different classrooms at school last year. The first one was brand new and never resurfaced, so someone must have liked our taste in jackets from BJ's!

The second daughter's jacket turned up much later in the school's lost & found, minus the Nintendo DS that she had in a "hidden" inside zipper pocket. Guess it wasn't hidden all that well, or she showed it off in school which tempted someone. She had deliberately disobeyed us by sneaking it to school, and she didn't tell us about the stolen DS until weeks later. Bonus: fewer arguments over who is going to play which game on their DS, lol.

Maybe someone mistook your coat for theirs? I've made that mistake when I brought one jacket, but accidentally picked up someone else's because it looked like one of my other jackets.

5. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, yes. From a skating rink when I was about 12. It was brand new and my mother had paid for it via credit card. Essentially we bought someone a brand new jacket since she got the bill for it about 2wks. later.

6. Choupette

Choupette Well-Known Member

No, but I'm always a little (too?) fearful of having anything stolen, including my coat. That would be a nightmare, especially if it was my latest since I paid a lot for it because I'm very cold sensitive. I kept my old coat and if I know I'm going to go somewhere in public and leave it unattended, this is the one I bring with me. It doesn't look very stuffed anymore so it's probably not too appealing, and I wouldn't be in too much trouble if it happened to be stolen (until I could make it home, obviously!). It's too bad because sometimes I'd rather wear the new one as it keeps me warmer!

I'm really sorry this happened to you. :( I can only imagine how frustrating this must be, and now you're probably always going to have this little fear of getting stolen again.

7. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Not stolen... but when I was staying in a hostel in London in Feb one year, a lady slashed my down winter coat. I assume it was intentional because this lady was quite pissed at me because I was disturbing her by staying up so late. (err, I'd gotten back from a show at 10:30 or 11pm and wanted to call home to say I was ok... so not really "late" by hostel standards by any means) My coat was too big to put in a locker and when I woke up the next morning, the inside had a huge jagged slash from top to bottom.

8. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

I had my umbrella stolen on the first day of a class called Ethical Theory!

Methinks someone really needed that class...

9. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

There was a teacher from my school whose leather jacket was stolen. I don't know if it was a fancy designer jacket, but still it was brand new, and she was quite upset about it.

Sorry that this happened to you and others. :(

10. Nan

Nan Just me

I had a coat taken from a restaurant after a New Year's Eve party years ago. I think someone (drunk) just put on the wrong coat because a coat of a similar color was left without an owner.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. shinji

shinji New Member

I've never had a coat stolen--but growing up in Brooklyn in the 80s and 90s I remember kids getting jumped for their winter coats (and sneakers) if they were wearing the hot coat for that year. Triple Fat Goose coats, shearling coats, bomber jackets--it changed every year to whatever was hot for that winter season (and in NYC the winter jacket fashion changes just about every year). Getting mugged and having your Air Jordan sneakers swiped right off your feet was something I also remember happening.

I avoided those kinds of clothes like the plague, so I never got anything stolen. Mostly I didn't want to pay the money, but also...who wanted to get jumped for a coat or some shoes? Thankfully, I don't hear about that kind of thing happening any more.

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

That is also an old bar prank. Some people who have had a few too many think it is funny to grab any coat off the rack and leave with it.

I've never had my coat stolen, but I had my bag with my shoes in it stolen from a rink - fortunately I drove!

Don't name brand coats get stolen from school kids quite often?

13. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Yep, happened to me once at a A-level-pre-party (we have such stuff in Germany) 3 years ago where some morons thought it was funny to play around with pepper spray. At one time no one was even able to breathe properly anymore.
    The party had to be aborted by the police and hell broke loose...no one was watching the cloakroom anymore and people just took whatever they could get from there.
    And someone stole my favourite winter coat (with a Rolling Stones patch I bought in Paris :( ).
    Fortunately I was wearing another leather jacket but it still wasn't fun to walk home 15 minutes from the tram station when it's snowy and cold. :mad:

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

My kids' jackets were $30 specials from BJ's - not a hot name brand at all, lol. Yes, schoolkids do get jumps for jackets, sneakers, cell phones, etc. Someone at the rink said that thief unzipped their daughter's zuca bag in order to steal the black northface-brand jacket inside. If that's true, the thief is a dope because the zuca bag was probably more expensive! lol

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Never happened to me, touch wood.

16. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Some friends of ours were in a nice restaurant bar & he had his leather jacket with cellphone in the pocket on the back of his chair. When he went to the bathroom his jacket was stolen while his GF was sitting there! He went back the next day & they reviewed the tape & they could see the jacket being stolen & recognized the thief. So he called his cellphone & when it was answered he told the guy that he had been recognized & if he brought the jacket & cellphone back, no charges would be filed. So he got his stuff back but what's the odds that a place like that would have cameras in the 1st place?

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My brother's coat was stolen from his locker in high school. That was a big deal, because we were quite poor, and he was therefore without coat for the rest of the winter. In New England. Not pleasant.

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Sort of.

When I started grad school in Wisconsin, my sisters chipped in to buy me a warm parka as a holiday present that they gave me when I came back to Maryland/DC for winter break.

I was staying at my mother's senior apartment and waiting for they guy I was going to drive back to Wisconsin with. He was supposed to pick me up at 7 AM but he got lost finding my mother's place and by 7:45 hadn't arrived yet. This was almost 20 years ago, before I had a cell phone, so I had to go upstairs to my mother's place to check whether he had called. I left my suitcase with the coat on top of it in the lobby and told the concierge I was expecting a ride and would be down to meet them soon if they arrived, and to please watch my stuff. But I'm not sure if he really heard me.

When I came back down a few minutes later the coat was gone (but the suitcase still there) and the concierge was not as his desk.

Then my ride showed up so I had to go back to WI without the coat. I felt sick about having to confess to my sisters that I'd lost their nice present before I got to use it.

(And by the way, I do not advise driving DC to Madison in one day starting at 8 AM and cutting through West Virginia to avoid Pennsylvania tolls. Especially in the winter. Took us till 2 AM and it was hard to keep eyes open for driving by the end.)

Anyway, when I got back to WI I called the building and asked if anyone knew what had happened to the coat.

What I was told that a delivery guy had come through, asked the concierge if the coat belonged to anyone, he said he didn't think so, so the guy took the coat home for his family. But they got it back from him and sent it to me.

Whether that was the true story or not, one way or another that concierge really dropped the ball.

19. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

When I was in the 7th grade, my favorite coat was taken from my gym locker. A few days later, I saw a kid wearing my coat. I ran up to confront him and he swore it was his coat. A teacher came up and I said that if it was my coat it would have my name in it. It had my name inside. When he handed it back to me, he said something like, you've got several coats, I don't have any now. I felt so horribly guilty that I never wanted to wear the coat again.

20. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Not coats, but definitely other secondary winter clothing items - scarves, gloves, hats... people must think that winter's a "free" for-all when it comes to clothes.

Interestingly, the lost and found items at places like the movies are displayed out in the open because of the sheer volume of lost winter items.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I've done this twice in the last 2 months :shuffle: In both cases, alchohol was involved, my jacket had been moved from its original position and not by me and in both cases, I realised within 10 seconds of putting it on and returned it to its rightful owner.

Other than that, I had my jumper stolen once at school. We had a uniform and I'd taken my jumper off when we had PE and left it in the locket room, and it just vapourised. It turned up in lost property some time later.

It's horrible that you lost your coat (and money) in winter, but if someone took it on purpose, from a clinic, then it's just unbelievable. Let's hope karma gets them :lynch:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

No, but I had a pair of jeans stolen from me this fall while I was at the gym. (Totally forgot to snark about it) Someone jimmied my lock. Thank God I had the foresight to put my cell phone, wallet, cash and house keys in a wall locker with a key. They didn't steal my toiletry kit though :p.

23. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

A few years ago my cousin had her full length leather coat stolen at a Funeral Home. :eek: To me that's as bad as having an item stolen from a church.
    The coat was never recovered.

24. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that happened to you. What the hell is wrong with people. :mad:

Never had a coat stolen, but did have $165 stolen right out of my wallet while attending a bridal shower at someone's house! :mad:

About 20 years ago when I was working at K-Mart, I accidentally went home with another workers coat that looked exactly like mine (we even bought them at the same place). :eek: We hung our coats in the breakroom and I didn't even realize it until I got home and noticed there was nothing in the pockets, and I knew I had some papers in the pocket. I of course wore it back the next day and saw the girl and told her what happened. At least she had my coat to wear home.

25. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

On another occasion I had a bathrobe in the back seat of my car. It belonged to an actress in a play I was directing that we were using as a costume, and my car was the most convenient place to keep it between rehearsals. But I didn't lock my car and one day it wasn't there any more. This was in winter and I assume some needy person in my neighborhood saw it as a good opportunity to get warm. So I had to buy the actress a new bathrobe. At least it cost a lot less than a good coat.

26. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

That sounds made up, doesn't it? Most people would assume that the coat belonged to the person who owned the suitcase. I bet the concierge stole it and then had an attack of conscience.

My son had a coat with our local NHL team logo on the back. It disappeared from school in November and mysteriously reappeared in the lost and found in May.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  27. hollygrove

hollygrove Member

I used to work at a community college which had rows of coat hooks along the walls by the door. It was very easy for someone to grab any coat and leave without attracting any notice. As others have noted, it was invariably a nice leather coat or whatever jacket was in style at the time, and these NEVER turned up later in the lost & found. Someone even stole an English instructor's leather jacket from the hook right behind her while she was talking with students at the end of class.

So yes, it's a common problem. Actually, a community college was an excellent place to steal desirable clothing since so many students come to class directly from work.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My suit jacket was taken from a closet at a hair salon. We knew it was a mistake because there was a different black suit jacket still there. Funny thing was that mine was a size 12 and the jacket left there was a size 4. The lady came back later that day to get her jacket and return my jacket. She confessed that she must have been really spaced out because she wore mine back to the office and didn't notice until a colleague pointed it out. Way too big and different fabric from her skirt. I didn't even bother to try on her size 4 obviously.

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

To prevent the accidental/prank coat swipes, I turn the coat sleeves inside out and pull my scarf through when I hang the coat. That way, the other person has a second to think "Hey, this one isn't mine." I know of at least two occasions when it's worked.

30. mon125

mon125 New Member

Once, my friends and I were having drinks and dancing at this nice bar. It was not crowded at all and I was next to the chair where my spring coat was. It was good I was so close, because I saw clearly when two girls, nicely dressed, walked by and grabbed my coat. I just followed them and I asked nicely if I can have it back. They said that they thought it was their, I said OK :rolleyes: and I got it back. Since then, I never leave anything in unattended in the back of a chair or in those racks next to a door at restaurants.