Dick Button should write his memoirs

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by snoopysnake, Feb 27, 2012.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I really think it would be great if Dick Button would write a book (or several!) about his career, competitions he's seen and announced, and the characters he's known in the skating world, as well as his wealth of opinions about the sport. He wrote an autobiography decades ago, but so much has happened to him and the sport since then.

2. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

ITA, I've always wished he'd do some kind of 2 hour special on his life or something, he is the face of this sport and wish we could have a little more of him right now.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I am surprised no one has asked him to it.

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

He already did..... Dick Button on Skates (1955)

It would be nice to have an updated one though. ;) And ITA about a two hour biopic of his life and career complete with lots of lovely old skating footage. :cheer:

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I would love a memoir from Dick Button, as long as it discusses his opinions on things like CoP (it's probably too much to ask for some WSF/ISU drama).

6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Or he could do a podcast interview with me. ;)

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Dick was planning on writing a second book and I recall it even being pre-listed on Amazon, but then he had his serious brain injury and all his energy was focused on recovery. I assume he decided not to go forward with it which is a shame. I'd love to read about his "second" career in skating.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Here is the listing for the book:

Edge is a Lean of the Body: A Memoir of Skating (Hardback) (2002)
    Dick Button with Allison Cook

ISBN-10: 0743224051
    ISBN-13: 978-0743224055

It might have actually been published; as I've seen blog posts about copies in the past:
    However, I've been unable to find one.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Dick began writing his memoirs with Allison Cook, a very popular Houston-based (as I recall) food writer, but abandoned the project for various reasons.

10. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Let me know when I can sign the petition!

11. manleywoman

Hee! Never thought about a petition. Perhaps I should . . .

12. skatesindreams

Is it possible that a few pre-publication (advance copies) existed; given the information I found? (quoted above)

I'd sign!

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely that some online seller(s) listed the book before it was fully written based on the ISBN listing and then lost track of what this listing actually was (or, as it happened, wasn't) and kept it listed even though it didn't exist.

14. skatesindreams

That seems likely.

15. geena

geena New Member

I was hoping to have him among those I interviewed for my Skating on Air book, but the only thing I was able to get from him was a nice, though brief, email :)

Several of the others I interviewed-- who know him personally and shared some very interesting anecdotes, particularly about the days when his production company owned the TV rights to Worlds-- indicated he was still hoping to write his memoirs. But they seemed unsure it would ever happen.

16. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

That would be epic!

17. manleywoman

I emailed him again today, since I'm heading to NYC in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

I really wonder if I should write a petition . . .

Another thing I thought of doing (too late into December though) was rewriting the poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the words of course me begging him for an interview. I was having fun changing the phrases, like Saint Nick becoming Saint Dick, and :

On Hamill, on Fleming,
    on Albright and Tickner.
    On Abbott, on Eldredge,
    Babilonia and Gardner.

Etc.

I thought if I wrote an Ode To Saint Dick, he might pay attention. :) (or maybe think I'm nuts)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  18. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I think the poem idea would stand you in good stead.:cool:

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

someone start a facebook page demanding that manleywoman should interview him

20. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Throw in some U.S. World Team members from the 1940s and 50s and some obscure American history references and you should be a shoe-in.

21. manleywoman

Actually, I worked on this last night, and came up with some brilliant (IMO) verses that did just that . . . incorporated some of his history, catch-phrases and the like. I'm going to try to finish it this weekend and put it out there.

He'll either love it or get a restraining order.

I posted on my Facebook page that if someone were to make a Facebook page targeted at Dick Button doing an interview with me, what should it be called? And one person responded: "Manleywoman is First Rate, and We Take Our Hats off to Her! You should too, Dick Button!" :lol:

I hope you'll all help me spread the word once I do post it. :)

22. manleywoman

Okay, I've finished my poem tonight. I'm going to sleep on it to make sure it's just as it should be. I've sent it to a few trusted skating friends for review, and then I'm hoping to make a podcast version tomorrow of me reading it, plus publish the transcript. I'm heading to NYC in a few weeks, so I hope we can finally meet and do an interview. Fingers crossed!

23. Triple Butz

Good luck :cheer:

24. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

That's great. Fingers crossed indeed! Looking forward to it!

25. manleywoman

26. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The reviews will say ...perfect turnout of the glossary."

Hopefully not, "That last participle is just dangling there."

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  27. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Love your ode, Manleywoman. (Maybe you should also temporarily change your name to Buttonwoman. That should impress Dick.)

Please ask him to write that book. Warn him that if he doesn't write it, FSU will! :lol:

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

I got enough of Dick when he was a commentator. He was so annoying. I hope he doesn't show up at the 2014 Olympics and I certainly don't care to read his memoirs.

29. skatesindreams

To each their own.

Do you possess his knowledge of; or history in, figure skating?

30. Triple Butz

As Dick would say, "Not the first time I haven't been invited to a party."

Whenever you have a strong personality like Dick who upholds his ideals with conviction, you're never going to please everyone. And that's okay.

That being said, bring on the MEMOIRS!