Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series coming to television on STARZ this summer!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by topaz, May 8, 2014.

1. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this...it's not on here until the 24th :)

2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I finally sat down to really read this the other day and I'm enjoying it very much! I'm close to being halfway through the book, and the storyline is keeping me engaged well- there's a lot to think about.

I don't know how I feel about the portrayal of the Scottish accent, though.

3. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm loving it, so far. I loved Catriona Balfe when she was a runway model. Outlander is not my normal type of show, but it has made me want to read the books and venture into historical fantasy.

4. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

I really liked this episode, especially the last half hour! Tension, magic, illness, Jamie+Claire flirting. I even liked the added storyline about the black kirk and Mrs. Fitz's nephew. Great foreshadowing to Father Bane's motivation for his role in what is to come…won't spoil it for those not familiar with the books.

I noticed quite a bit of the dialogue in key scenes was verbatim from the book. So glad they are being faithful in the important scenes. Like the scene between Jamie and Claire where she is teasing him about his lips being swollen because of a "filly." The subsequent dialogue with Murtagh (Jamie needing a woman, not a girl) was also spot on from the book. Although, in the book I think it was Old Alec, not Murtagh who said those lines.

Anyhoo…I'm excited for the next string of episodes. The action should really pick up now!

5. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Tonight's episode is the best of the three for sure.

6. lmarie086

Finally finished the book today and just watched the first episode! Sorry if I'm rehashing things that were mentioned before, but Claire came across as being quite stilted- I expected the voiceovers to sound more spirited, more cheeky (if there must be voiceovers at all). The actress is going to have to win me over.

I wish we could have seen more of Frank, but I love Jamie already. He's perfect.

7. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Thanks for the heads up. That makes a little more sense why the Canadian broadcast is so 'behind' (3 weeks/ eps) but October to January seems like a pretty long break, ugh.

And now that I've seen how poor the commercials/break placements by Showcase are (IMO), I'll stick with watching online with no commercials - does Starz air this without any commercial breaks?

8. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Yes. :respec:

Jubak and lmarie086 like this.
  9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode last night & loved it!

Really and lmarie086 like this.
  10. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying the series. I love the chemistry with the actors. They introduced Father Bain early in the season. Also, the sick boy is not in the book but the director stated they wanted to advance the storyline of Claire as a healer.
    http://www.starz.com/videos/video/7164ffa504f245e98c881181e0774ac8

Next episode is the gathering. YEA

Love, Love Sam Heughan

Jubak and lmarie086 like this.
  11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, definitely heating up with Claire and Jamie. She's still just a bit cold and mannered to me, but oh, hello Jamie :smokin::grope:

I'm glad they finally got around to the healer stuff, because I think they kind of messed that up at the beginning. In the books, one of the first things she does at Castle Leoch is get into the gardening and the beaton's old workspace. Not immediately be given hope of leaving then told she's a prisoner ...

halffull likes this.
  12. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I love this show so far. It is so atmospheric. Catriona/Claire doesn't bother me in the least. I had to look up her bio as she looks so much like an actress who was on Warehouse 13 (Joanne Kelly).

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I love the dialogue from books being in the series. You're right it was Old Alec not Murtagh delivering the line that Laoghaire be a girl when she's 50.

14. lmarie086

Can't wait to see the new episode - hoping it isn't long before I find it somewhere online!

15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

The episode lived up to the books and more. Fantastic episode tonight.

16. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Agreed! My favorite episode so far. Angus has me in stitches!! Jamie's speech to Colum was soooo good.

Jubak likes this.
  17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

We're a week behind in Canada, so just watched the second episode last night.

I'm enjoying the series so far. It's been a long time since I read the books, but bits are coming back to me.

It's clearly a fairly low-budget production (compared to lavish productions like 'Game of Thrones', for example), but I'm loving the scenery and the settings. Sam Heughan is perfect as Jamie and some of the other actors are well cast, also, especially the man who plays the Laird. But I'm not so crazy about Cairtriona Balfe's characterization of Claire. At times, she seems fragile, at others, coquettish - and then out comes the gutsy, strong-minded woman I remember from the books. Balfe doesn't seem to integrate the different aspects very well, maybe she just doesn't have a large range as an actress. But, I'm giving her a chance to grow on me.

Still, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Apparently there are 16 episodes. I wonder if they will air in two groups? I can't imagine that all 16 would air over 16 consecutive weeks.

I recognized the guy who plays Frank/Blackjack immediately and didn't remember from where at first. Was one of the Tullies in 'Game of Thrones' - the one who married a Frey after Rob Stark reneged on his agreement to marry a Frey girl, leading to the Red Wedding Massacre.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  18. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

The first 8 episodes are airing right now. The next 8 will air in early 2015. No exact date has been given. Starz has renewed for a second season, which will be based on Dragonfly in Amber.

Tobias Menzies played Edmure Tully in GoT.

19. vesperholly

Agreed. She is a lot more sassy and strong-willed in the books. I disliked how they are treating her medical lab - there's almost a sense of disdain for it, rather than pride. Though I did like the non-book scene of her treating the poisoned child.

And DAMMIT don't go reading the Wiki page for details if you haven't read the whole book - I just encountered a HUGE spoiler :mad: I really need to finish the book already.

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's actually a pretty big budget production, just not quite the sort of budget that some HBO series have.

I read the books but haven't watched more than trailers and short clips from the show. Balfe seems miscast to me, but not as badly as I thought at first.

That kind of goes without saying... ;)

21. vesperholly

It scrolled too quickly! Entertainment Weekly's recap of the books already got me with another one, though. Drat!

22. Zemgirl

No idea which spoilers you read, since there are a number of possible ones for Outlander, but I would strongly advise finishing the book before venturing into any potential spoiler territory ;)

23. vesperholly

Hey, I was just turning pages in my EW issue! Little did I know they'd have plot summaries for ALL the books! I glimpsed one spoiler and was outta there right quick :lol:

24. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

I didn't read the book(s ?) but I am really enjoying the show so far :)

25. Zemgirl

Yes, plural - there are currently eight of them. The first one stands alone and the first three work well as a trilogy. I've read all eight, but the quality is very uneven past the first three.

halffull likes this.
  26. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I just found out that the latest book came out this summer. My first thought was: it's still not done?!?!?

On topic: I'm really enjoying the series so far. I think Balfe is still finding Claire, but I have high hopes for her. Jamie and Dougal? I love them.

27. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

One good thing if the series goes beyond the 2nd book is there is a lot of extraneous material that can be chopped out for a 16 hour TV series and no one will be the wiser. :lol:

halffull likes this.
  28. Zemgirl

Yes, pretty much all of The Fiery Cross :D

They had better leave the beach wedding from Voyager in there, though, that was hilarious.

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm actually like Caitroina Balfe as Claire. Her acting has been subtly at times.

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The only two books that I've read multiple times are the first and the 2nd half of Voyager. I didn't like the 2nd, because it annoys me when fictional characters interact with real historical figures and I like Claire's POV better than Jamie's so I've never reread the first half of Voyager. The others never warranted a reread. I didn't finish the 7th and haven't even bought the 8th. I'll just wait for the final book and see how she wraps things up and hope she does a better job than Charlaine Harris did with Sookie and company.