Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series coming to television on STARZ this summer!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by topaz, May 8, 2014.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

The incredible Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon will be premiering this summer on Starz. The release date has not been given but the trailers look fantastic.

Diana helped with the series and it will be a the author's version coming to life not the "director" version on the screen(aka True Blood and Sookie Stackhouse Series).

Diana Gabaldon on the series collaboration

The Outlander Fan Gathering from Feb 2014. The actor playing Jaime is :swoon:

First Look Trailer; Disappearance Trailer

I adored the series. I started the series by reading the books, however, I switched to the audio book version a few years back and really enjoyed the series more. The audio narrator was fantastic.

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I like most of the Outlander books and spinoffs (Lord John is awesome) but I am not as enthusiastic about the upcoming miniseries. I realize that it's all been given Gabaldon's seal of approval, but to me both leads seem miscast, especially Balfe who really oversells it in the trailers. The supporting cast looks good, though, and hopefully it'll improve as they all get into the roles and process.

The poster is horrible. Jamie looks like a hobbit.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

This series is on my list to read as soon as I finish reading Game of Thrones again. Though who knows how long that will take...but this was highly recommended to me, and I'm really looking forward to reading/watching.

4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I adored these books & was really sorry when I finished the last one. I'm not sure I will watch. Sometimes movies ruin the books for me.

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm actually re-reading the series right now. I understand she will have a new book on it out this summer.

6. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

New book is out June 10
    www.dianagabaldon.com

I love the books. But some of the fans r nuts. They have a twitter acct I followed then I unfold owed due to all the crazy tweets. The actor playing Jamie is named Sam Heughan and the twitter acct was something like 'heughligans'.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I just could not get into this series and not sure how well it will translate into a tv series. But maybe I should give the books another try.

8. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Buzz I had an issue with reading the books, but I decided to try the series again on audiobook a few years ago and loved it. The narrator for this series is Davina Porter is incredible.

9. Zemgirl

It's not something that will work for everyone. For me, I found the 1940s part at the beginning of Outlander slow going, but once it got into the past it was much better. I think that if the first book isn't doing it for you, maybe it's just not meant to be ;)

I do think it can work very well as a TV show (much better than as a movie). I just have some concerns about the adaptation and especially the lead casting. They'd better not screw up the Lord John casting down the line (if the ratings allow it to get that far).

I've heard good things about Porter. I'm not really into audiobooks though, so I'll stick with the regular versions.

10. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the series simply because the director is saying he'll stick with the books (although they've already added one scene that isn't in "Outlander" because it was easier to show Claire's background as a nurse than to have her muse about it afterward). I don't mind the casting even though my mental images were different. There has been a lot of thought and research put into the production. I'm hoping the result is worth it.

But then I like historical dramas anyway. And anything is better than the dreck that's on Saturday nights now.

11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Orphan Black is on Saturday nights!!

I started Outlander on vacation but haven't gotten back to it. What I did manage to read was very good.

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

13. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Did anyone watch the premiere episode on August 9th? What are your thoughts?

14. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

I watched the first episode and am eagerly awaiting further installments. It took me a little bit to warm up to Claire on the screen, but she is growing on me. I have read all the books twice and am very pleased with the faithfulness to the books. Sam Heughan is going to be a wonderful Jamie. This first episode had to have a lot of exposition; the next episodes will be even more fun. Production values seem to be quite high. In a nutshell: Enjoying it a lot. I hope it gets good enough ratings to stay a series through all the books...

15. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I enjoyed it. Even got my husband to watch and he says he's looking forward to the next episode. :)

16. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I liked it. Pleasantly surprised, since technically I still read the books, but they're no longer 'must read this now' status for me. I haven't re-read in between books, because they're too long, so I forget details. But from what I can remember, the first 3 books I liked the best. Love the opening credits, I had to play that a few times after watching. For those outside the US, here's the opening credits. :cheer:

Canadians, this will air Sunday, August 24 on Showcase.

17. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Looking forward to Aug 24. I'm on the fourth book right now and really enjoying the series.

quartz likes this.
  18. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

I am really liking Claire, she's exactly what I imagined. Although taller - the actress is 5'9"! Even though Dougal is not as described, he has black hair in the books, I think, but the actor just NAILS him! Totally enjoying the score too. And Jamie. What can I say? Swoon! I have such a detailed picture of him in my head that won't ever go away, but Sam Heughan is doing a good job so far. I'm really looking forward to the difficult scenes that play out later on (a certain "beating" and of course the Black Jack/Jamie stuff). I'm curious how those scenes will be handled.

From the first episode, I especially loved the scene where Jamie finds Claire after the ambush at Cocknammon Rock. Jamie was ferocious with all that blood on his face :) And Claire was indignant, just like she should be!

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first episode. I do wish they had 2 hours at once though - good way to hook people that did not read the books.
    The scenery is just gorgeous. I love the books. I have 'liked' some Outlander sites on Facebook - and some people are just so critical.
    I think the show has fleshed out Frank a bit more - which is nice. Yes, some of the cast is not a perfect physical match - but the actors all seem very good. I think one would be able to ignore those things if the overall quality and story telling is well done.
    I am looking forward to the season.

They split the season into 2 - now until Sept, then to pick up the second half in Jan. I understand they are still filming.
    But I purposely subsribed to Starz and Showtime for this show and Homeland. And I had planned to cancel the subscription when Homeland ends in Dec but will have to keep it now.

20. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I'm re-reading book one, after watching the first episode. I read the first 4 books years ago, but could not for the life of me get through The Fiery Cross. But I'm rediscovering them so maybe this time I'll manage to finish the series.

I really enjoyed the first episode. I thought Claire had great chemistry with both Frank and Jamie. And I loved Jamie! Loved him.

21. vesperholly

I'm about halfway through the first book. Claire looks just how I pictured her, but her acting to this point (mostly distant and scared) hasn't impressed me. Entertainment Weekly reviewed the whole series and said she gives a "star-making" turn, so I'm hoping she'll improve as the plot widens. Jamie is a little too pretty for me, but that's just a quibble. Can't wait to meet everyone at Castle Leoch in episode 2. I looooove men with Scottish accents.

EW pissed me off, because they ran a whole article that had a synopsis of what happens in EVERY BOOK, so I got spoiled for a major plotline in 1 and 2 before I hastily turned the page. Grr.

22. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I can't get into the books, but enjoyed the first episode even if it seemed a little slow.

23. Zemgirl

Outlander's been renewed for a second season. So we will at least get the teenaged Lord John! :cheer2: But also Brianna. Hopefully the TV Brianna will be less annoying than the one in the books.

The Fiery Cross is pretty bad; if you can survive it, the next book is much better. The last two have been meh, but not as bad as TFC. At this point I just think that she could use a firmer hand with the editing, there is a lot of superfluous and uninteresting stuff going on.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

This series premieres on Showcase August 24th so maybe I will check it out.

25. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I tried reading Outlander. I watched the first episode on Starz. It doesn't grab me. I'm not really sure why, as I feel like it should be something I like: history, romance, a little sci-fi but not too much. It should be right up my alley. I agree the book is well-written and I thought the production value was very high and well done, but I just couldn't get into it. To me, it's just flat, but I see why so many people do love the story.

26. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I really loved it! Not everything, mind you, but most everything. I like how closely to the book it was, and the scenery was gorgeous. Catriona as Claire kind of disappointed me... it felt a little forced. Hopefully future episodes get better for her. Sam as Jamie surprised the heck out of me, and in a good way. The promotional pics leading up to the premier had me doubtful that he was right for the part, as I don't think he photographs well as Jamie. But he WAS Jamie as soon as he spoke. Frank was boooring, and I think it made the first half drag on and on. But now that she traveled back, now the fun can begin!

27. vesperholly

I thought the second episode was much better, especially for Claire.

28. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

I loved how Claire looked when she woke up after sleeping all day. Her hair was wild, and it is described that way so many times in the book! I thought that was a nice touch and great attention to detail. Those are the little things I'm glad they are including!

29. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Second episode was good. However, the preview for episode three has me all abuzz, so I can't really remember episode 2 anymore. But I do remember thinking that Claire was much improved.

30. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Very excited for the next episode! Saw a preview clip where J&C have the conversation about Claire seeing his flogging scars. I'm really loving the portrayal of Jamie so far! He's spot on in this scene.