Detroit newspaper reports Aretha Franklin has pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Dec 8, 2010.

1. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...02/ENT09/Aretha-Franklin-stricken-with-cancer

:(

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, poor lady. So that's what was wrong. :( Pancreatic is an especially nasty kind, isn't it?

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Isn't that what Patrick Swayze had? I believe it grows without symptoms for a quite a long time so by the time they find it, it is very hard to treat. An acquaintance of mine recently died of it just about 4-5 months after her diagnosis.

5. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

My Grandpa was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died not long after about 5 years ago. He was in his 90's, but had the healthiest lifestyle of any of us lol. It was quite a shock to say the least.

It is a nasty disease.. I wish her well..

6. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Oh, poor lady. Best wishes to her.

I have heard that that form is indeed particularly nasty. I knew someone who died 6 weeks after getting the diagnosis.

7. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

The most common form is indeed very nasty.

There is a rare form, the sort that Steve Jobs of Apple had, that is more treatable.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm devastated. Poor Aretha...

9. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

10. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

Both Swayze and Pavoratti had this. My grandmother died about 6 weeks after being diagnosed. It's a tricky one because usually by the times you show symptoms it is much too late to do anything.

I wish her the best; I hope the surgery works!

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Not good.

12. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I had read about Aretha earlier today but didn't post since at that time the quotes were still coming only from a story in the Enquirer. I was hoping it wasn't true. :(

13. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Like everyone's said it's not good at all.

14. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I hate to hear this type of diagnosis for anyone. But it is very hard to take when someone seems larger than life as Aretha Franklin seems. I hope for the best for her.

15. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

This is one of those celebrity situations that's really hit me hard.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I adore her. I have some Aretha stories, vague encounters/ near encounters here in Detroit. I like her so much I even named a main character in one of my current scripts "Re" (Aretha) in her honor.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Wow. It sounds like you've met her. I'd like to hear more.
    I've always been concerned for her mainly b/c of her weight. And now this.
    She is definitely an American icon. And in my prayers tonight.

Cornfed likes this.
  17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

OK, I thought I'd look up risk factors for this cancer and so far I see pancreatitis, alcohol and smoking. Of course you don't HAVE to drink or smoke to get it. Also, diabetes (not sure which one but am guessing type 2) and I think Aretha has diabetes.

Eating lots of fruits and veggies may protect against it, specifically cruciferous veggies. Eat your Brussel sprouts, people!

18. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Dear Aretha, I will pray for you. May your faith keep you strong at this difficult time. God is with you.

Such sad news. :(

My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer at age 98. She wasn't diagnosed until 3 weeks before she died.

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

OMG, this is such shocking news! My thought and prayers are with her.

20. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Speaking of Jobs, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still suffering from something considering how gaunt and sickly he's been looking these days.

I really hope that Aretha's case isn't so serious and that she pulls through it. Celebrity deaths have been happening in threes recently, and what with Leslie Nielsen and Elizabeth Edwards' passings, please let it not be that Aretha is next.

21. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

My grandmother had none of the risk factors, fwiw.

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Obesity is also a risk factor. She's had weight problems most of her adult life.
    IIRC she talked about quitting smoking a while back, but I could be wrong. I have no idea how much she drinks.

23. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:( horrible diagnosis. not good. not good at all.

Get well ............ somehow ............. Lady Soul

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My father had the less common form; and responded well to what was then, experimental chemotherapy.
    He had several years in remission; but., when that ended there was nothing to be done, and he died soon after.

I wish Aretha the very best; and hope that more effective treatments are found for this, soon,.

25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I met Aretha Franklin once in 2003, when I was working at the Detroit federal courthouse. One of the federal judges held an event in her honor, and I was very excited to come face-to-face with a legend, even though there really was nothing I could say to her that she hadn't already heard a million times, lol.

Hope she's able to recover, but pancreatic cancer is just such a nasty disease. My great-aunt had it, and she died about 6-8 weeks after diagnosis.

26. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

27. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

She may be larger than life, but I know a lot of people who say she never paid them for work done. She almost lost her house I believe. She just wouldn't pay people.

My nephew had pancreatic cancer and died at age 40. He was thin, didn't drink, a good man. I believe he did smoke, however.

28. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

This really is one of the worst diagnosis you can get. A friend who is a Surgeon says it's a bad day for her when she discovers that in the OR, because she knows there's very little that can be done. :(

Always loved that lady's voice. Will be keeping Aretha in my thoughts and prayers. :(

29. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

One of the women from our church died of pancreatic cancer. Horrible to hear that Aretha has this diagnosis.

I love Aretha and have since she was a teenager. DH, who is not a fan, gave me a boxed set of her recordings one year for Christmas. Everything from her early soul and R&B recordings in the late 60's to her duets with George Michael and Annie Lennox in the 90's.

Her voice gives me chills.

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I heard that she owned a really nice house outside of Detroit that she didn't take care of and it was condemned by the city, but I don't remember the particulars. Most people I know who have met her (my mom included) said she is a sweet as pie. But don't cross her...