Detroit Lions Fans Sign Petition Against Nickelback Halftime Show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Nov 5, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

This from the city that decorated the freeway to make it more inviting for the Super Bowl...:lol:

3. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

The entire Detroit area has gone to hell in a handbasket over these past couple of years and people are signing petitions to stop a band from playing a halftime show. Stupid...

Badams and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I would be inclined to agree with you, but it is Nickelback....:yikes:

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I'm originally from about 20 miles away from where Nickelback grew up and I'd sign the petition if I was from there... Seriously... Chad Kroeger looks like he hasn't washed his hair in about 20 years... :scream:

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

What, every single musical performer who's actually from/connected to Detroit was booked?

7. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

OK, I'm hopelessly uncool, but I like a few of their songs. What's the big problem with this band?

8. overedge

1) Their songs are overproduced
    2) Their songs have terrible lyrics
    3) Their songs are completely unoriginal
    4) Chad Kroeger is an egotistical tool
    5) The other guys in the band are completely anonymous [which for them is maybe a good thing :lol:]

9. Ares

Ares Guest

True, but Kid Rock is a local hero in the D, so cleanliness is clearly not the only issue. :lol:

Dirty hair AND crappy music though? Hasn't Detroit been put through enough the past few years?

10. PDilemma

6) Chad Kroeger sounds like he has nearly lost his voice and is passing a kidney stone when he "sings".

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

7. This kind of goes with #3, bu to elaborate every song of theirs is pretty much identical in chord structure to all their other stuff. It's basically just the same song with different lyrics, over and over again.

12. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

You've all just described a good portion of anything played on the radio. What makes Nickleback so much more cringe worthy?

13. michiruwater

That's true, and I expected that. But somehow it's just so much worse. On the radio you can hear two songs and even if they have the same general chords, they don't sound as identical as anything Nickleback produces. Like, listen to 'Someday' and 'How You Remind Me'. It's the same song. And one of them wasn't just a throwaway track on an album - it's the same song and yet both were singles.

Also, Chad Kroger has the 2nd worse voice in rock music, surpassed only by that guy from Creed. But luckily I don't think Creed exists anymore, or at least I haven't heard anything from them in like a decade. Please don't correct me if I'm wrong :shuffle:

And there are lots of bad lyrics out there, but their lyrics are bad consistently. The line, "these five words in my head scream 'are we having fun yet'" has been bothering me on so many levels since I first heard that song when I was, I don't know, 10?? Primarily because the song was the most played radio song of the 00's.

And before somebody questions my dedication, my roommate of last year loved Nickelback. It was horrible.

14. PDilemma

I'm not sure that is as bad as the entire song "Photograph" with the complex and meaningful lyric: "oh, oh, oh God I" repeated multiple times. What does that even mean?

That song was on every end of year senior video after it came out. And its charming lyrics about not graduating and having a criminal record for breaking and entering at the high school made it so very appropriate for that. :rolleyes:

15. overedge

IMHO that they got a big push and big support from record companies and radio when there are so many better acts that get blown off for not being interesting enough.

16. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. I can't stand Nickleback, but I also can't stand Linkin Park, Hinder, 3 Doors Down, Kid Rock, Papa Roach, Staind, 30 Seconds to Mars and the list goes on. I think those bands are equally cringe-worthy, but I guess Nickleback has kind of become a symbol for those bands.

17. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

See, I LIKE Linkin Park, Hinder, 3 Doors and Staind from time to time. Sometimes boy rock is just what I need working out or driving. Ergo Nickelback doesn't bother me, but I checked and I only own two of their songs.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  18. skatemommy

I'll sign a petition to get Bob Seger sing instead! (or Kid Rock, Nuge, Eminem, anyone but...)

19. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Somehow, I'd never think of Nickelback and Papa Roach in the same sentence.

20. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I find them equally corny, just in different ways.

21. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

It's cool, I just found it interesting. I've never seen Nickleback in concert, but saw Papa Roach twice at rock fests here and found them to be pretty badass.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Kid Rock is dirty and puts out crappy music. And he's from Detroit so they can't even say "at least he's not from around here."

Apparently you don't listen to a lot of Lady Gaga back to back. :shuffle:

I have a CD of theirs. It's okay and that kind of music plays really well in an arena/half time format. You want something energetic and loud.

Apparently Detroit residents also protested when the Rolling Stones were selected so I think it comes down to only wanting Detroit artists playing at their Thanksgiving half-time show. And their petition only has about 11,000 signatures on it which is nothing in this internet age when anyone can sign a petition with just a few clicks.

23. michiruwater

:lol: No I don't.

24. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

There are more then just Em, Kid, Teddy. We have Mitch Ryder, The Rockets, Aretha, and many others who still make Detroit area their home. I think they just want to show some Detroit pride. Lord knows after the city and county government we could use it.

25. skatemommy

What...no Kwame singing the Jailhouse Blues? :lol:

26. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

You win the thread.

And yeah, I think the real issue is that Detroit is Motown, home to dozens of artists, it's likely the biggest game of the year (against the Packers, no less), and they pick...Nickelback?

27. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

It's kind of like having Elton John at the Harley 100 year anniversery.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I suspect you'd be appalled.

It probably wouldn't bother me as much that all her songs sound like other songs (either her other songs or someone else's) if she wasn't touted as being so original and groundbreaking by her fans (and herself).

29. michiruwater

Well, I am a college student. I've heard a lot of her stuff. I even bought the CD with Bad Romance on it; I just didn't realize that there would only be 1 other track worth listening to on it. I'm also quite confused as to why she is touted as being original. All her songs are quite overtly derivative, like that one Ace of Base ripoff or the gay anthem that was a direct Madonna ripoff.

I don't rag on her like I would Nickelback because I think she has a crapton more talent and she can actually sing. I just find it sad that she won't do what she's capable of. Though the 'Lady Is A Tramp' recording is a definite step in the right direction!

I also plain just don't listen to the radio anymore unless it's NPR.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: