Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

OMG! Finally Shpilband/Zoueva deliver some drama. :p :watch:

3. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Well. I can honestly say I didn't see THAT coming.

4. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Thought it was April Fool's misplaced by a couple of months, until I saw Jo-Ann Barnas wrote it...:eek:

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

6. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Shoking!!

But I am sure some FSU insiders will tell us more about it. This news might explain some of Virtue/Moir's reactions in the kiss n' cry this year...

7. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

Whoa...!!! :eek: Off-season is starting to get reeeaalllyyy interesting.

8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

wow i find it interesting that they are talking about WHY- i mean usually we get the party lines- its not working out, want to spend mroe time wth family blah blah blah
    how will that work with marina?

9. jlai

jlai Title-less

:eek:
    Does it mean Spilband will start coaching for mother Russia? Just wondering

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wow. Will he go to DSC?

11. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

In this article, she certainly doesn't seem to be supporting him...a rift there?

12. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I doubt it, I can't see him working with Camerlengo & Krylova, nor do I think either party would be happy with another coach setting up camp at that club.

13. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Wow. This should be interesting. :watch:

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Just wow. :eek:

15. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

The "why" doesn't really make sense to me?? Doesn't seem reason enough to fire him. Sounds like there's waaaayyyy more to this story. So, who stays and who goes? Where does Igor go? Is Colorado Springs still looking for a dance director??

16. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

We don't need to watch soap operas when we have skating.

17. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I guess the question how many ice dance teams Canton can handle before it all collapses has been answered and that would be apparently two less. Who are the two new teams? Is it one of the Russian teams and the Italian team? Can´t remember what I've read.

18. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Interesting off-season drama!!! :wideeyes:

19. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Wow wow wow. :eek:

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

For real!

The fact that it flat out states it was V&M, D&W, and the Shibs who wanted nothing more to do with him is :eek:

So who were the teams that Shpilband wanted to take on himself? Riazanova and Tkachenko maybe? Weren't there some rumors that Capallini and Lanotte wanted to go to him?

I'm actually kind of excited about this as Shpilband is a great tech coach, but Zueva kept coming up with all those :blah: FDs. Maybe now he can work with a better selection of choreographers while he teaches the tech stuff.

21. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

What about Evan and Maddie?

22. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It´s more interesting to me that a rink would let a top coach go over their top skaters simply because the skaters career is typically much shorter and realistically V&M and D&W only have two more seasons in them. Will this turn out to be a bit short-sighted on their part? And I guess a part of me wishes they would have called their bluff so that at least V&M could test the waters elsewhere.

23. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Reading this again;

It may be nothing more than Zueva not wanting to be upstaged by what Igor does by himself for the new teams.

Imagine if Shpilband's programs are better received for the teams he's exclusively working with than what Zueva does for V&M and D&W?

The calls for them to get away from her would be louder than ever.

24. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

But the article states the skaters wanted him gone. Marina's just seems to be a quote explaining the reasons. Will Marina look for a new partner now? She will need help with all those teams.

25. Judy

Judy New Member

I didn't see this coming at all. WTF?

26. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I love to see them call the 20something skaters as "kids". Very curious to see where he ends up.

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Holy cow!! Did NOT see that coming.

28. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

:watch:

Which teams (Novice-Senior US + International) teams are/were training with Zoueva & Shpilband as of this spring? Not sure I know exactly how many there were off the top of my head.

Well. April-May -ish is certainly the best time of the year to do this, I suppose, if there were a best time. There are no pressing competitions until Lake Placid, and then the summer Bs/Junior Grand Prix/Grand Prix begin. Most summer school skating schedule are starting either this week, or within the next few weeks. It may not be too late for him to jump to one, or multiple, summer school programs temporarily for the summer while he sorts out where he is headed to coach next.

I wonder if Marina Zoueva can handle all the current Canton teams on her own. Or if someone else will join the camp. Or if any/many teams may follow Igor. This certain leaves many questions, and I would be interested to see if any more details about this are made public in the press.

I just hope there isn't something severely unethical going on, where people have been hurt (beyond Igor, for being fired of course). I'm not suggesting that at all in the least bit and I know nothing else further about this situation. But I can't imagine this is a situation of simply a "Marina vs. Igor on the coaching of some new teams" issue.

29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Well that's the official story. :shuffle:

Who knows, like everything else in skating, we'll probably never know what exactly went on. It does seem odd he would just be let go after all these years without the skaters even talking to him, but maybe that's the way these things work.

I really want to know if D&W will return that message.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.