Desperate Housewives 2009-2010 Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jenniferlyon, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I thought there would already be a thread about the new season of DH already. Oh well, I'll start...

1. Does anyone besides me think Lynette will get an abortion and not tell Tom? It makes for a better plot than her having a houseful of little ones again (we saw enough of that in Season 1) or a plot where she has a miscarriage and then gets all sobby and sappy about how she really wanted those babies after all.

2. Bree and Karl are so wrong for each other that they're right for each other, if you know what I mean. Maybe Orson will end up with Katherine?

3. Creepy new neighbors... I hope Julie is all right.

4. Carlos's niece... I enjoy watching Gaby get tough with her, but that's going to get old soon.

5. So Mike ended up marrying Susan and Katherine's jealous and bent on revenge. Wake me up when it's over.

What did the rest of y'all think?

2. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Gabi at the Night Club was :rofl:

New neighbors son is :grope: but :scream: at the same time. I think they jumped the shark a little too soon with his plot line though, but maybe he's not really Julie's attacker after all.

So Karl now just has to Lynette and Gabi to bag before he's made the complete round of Wysteria Lane yeah? Now THAT is a plot line that I'm already tired of.

The whole back and fourth with this Mike and Susan relationship is a tad annoying too.

I'm surprised the abortion word didn't get thrown around already by Lynette in this episode, I'm expecting that to come up as well.

3. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I was tired and not paying attention a whole lot when I watched last night. Where was MJ at the wedding? I don't recall seeing him.

I thought it was juicy when Katherine had on Susan's wedding dress and stirring the pot of tomato sauce! I've done that where it does splash on you and it's almost impossible to get out unless you wash it right away.

Susan and Mike are so right for one another. They make a handsome couple.

4. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

He was the ring bearer. And when they're walking back down the aisle, you can see him and Julie in the background. Speaking of which. What the heck did they put Julie in? The only way I can describe the dress is short with paniers. And fugly. But I really liked Susan's headpiece/tiara.

Count me as one who thinks Lynette will get an abortion. Or at least make it to a clinic to get one, but might chicken out after she hears the heartbeats or something like that. They also might do a miscarriage, but they already did the "mom doesn't care about the baby until it's been miscarried" storyline with Gabby.

And I do like Gabby's storyline, but it will get old really quickly.

Why would anyone invite brand new neighbors to a wedding? Because that's what Susan and Mike did. And I did think it was very rushed in the development of the storyline between the new kid and Julie. First he sees her. Then she's tutoring him and talking about how good of friends they are. Then they're having a lovers spat. And thrown in there is a creepy scene with the dad. It was all very :confused:

5. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I did like Julie's line to Mike about him marrying the most mentally stable out of the two. That made me giggle a little.

6. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Katherine wore the ultimate no-no color at the wedding - a red dress!

Lynette will probably have a nervous breakdown or something - there's got to be a new storyline - one that hasn't been done before. I know it's not reality, but one would think someone would get "fixed" so there weren't any more kiddies. ;)

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How many times can creepy new people move into this neighborhood? This episode was disappointing for me. I don't want to be in for a repeat of last season when creepy Dave moved into the neighborhood and the season when creepy special child was locked in the basement, and the season Katherine moved in with the creepy ex, etc etc etc

8. libby

libby New Member

So now Katherine is evil. Sigh. The writers just can't seem to decide who this character is - she started out as a manipulative control freak, became an abused victim, then suddenly had the same down-to-earth personality as Lynette, and now she is going to be a crazy bitch out for revenge.

Nothing wrecks a show more than writers who keep wildly changing their characters' entire personas.

9. ArtisticFan

Wouldn't you think the residents of Wisteria Lane would be suspicious now of any new neighbors?

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the police will go after Katherine for the attempted murder (murder?) or Julie? She could easily be seen as having the motive to get revenge.

11. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Well, this show IS a spoof of Daytime Soap Operas :lol: It's reminding me of All My Children more and more :lol:

12. Marilou

Marilou New Member

I actually enjoyed last night's episode. Both love & hate Bree and Carl together. Love that 'nasty' Katharine is back. I really didn't like her at all last season. Think there's a lot more to the new family than was let on. And am glad Mike married Susan. I think the storyline got a little (actually a lot) derailed last year because Gale Harold's of the motorcycle accident.

13. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I didn't hate her last season, her character being nice and "normal" just made no sense at all.

14. jenniferlyon

Very true. It would be funny if some minor character leaves Wisteria Lane and moves to the hood, the barrio, or the trailer park specifically to get away from the endless cycle of psychos and to meet some nice, normal people for once.

15. soxxy

soxxy Guest

The show will never have Lynette electing to get an abortion. It's too much of a hot button issue nowadays. Do characters on daytime soaps even get abortions any more? It seems to me it was more of a popular "option" during the 80's with Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, etc., but the political atmosphere has changed in the US since then.

It's more likely she'll have a miscarriage (probably brought on by someone's whacked out behavior).

16. ArtisticFan

I know that Days of Our Lives did an abortion episode a few years ago. Others have too I think.

17. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

AMC did one, and then had the infamous storyline of Josh being Erica's aborted son, the embryo or fetus or whatever being implanted in a nurse at the clinic and carrying the baby to term. Granted that was a 1970s storyline I believe.

It amuses me that it's more of a hot button issue now than it was in the 80s.

18. libby

libby New Member

It is odd that abortion is so much more verboten on prime-time TV these days than it was 20 years ago. I remember a number of storylines on nighttime shows in which women had abortions back in the 80's and early 90's after Maude broke the taboo in 1972 (Sela Ward had one on Sisters). But somehow the topic has always been more acceptable on daytime soaps (the first TV abortion happened years before Maude, on Another World in 1964).

I seriously doubt Lynette will have an abortion. The miscarriage-caused-by-someone-else plot seems to be the way prime-time television almost always deals with unwanted pregnancies.

19. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

There is always post-partum and totally rejecting her babies.

20. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

If DH wanted to take out General Hospital, she'd have words at the top of a flight of stairs with a pushing-happy character. Eternal revenge and mafia wars ensue.

Poor Lynette. She's the character that gets everything unglamorous while the others get wedding dress after book deal after rich husband, etc. etc. She gets cancer, pregnant again, Tom's forgotten daughter, job issues, etc. I wish they'd give her a successful career again. Kick Tom the eff out and kick ass in those wicked suits she briefly had.

21. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Agreed, and it looks like the show is finally ready to deal with her life. They made it painfully obvious Lynette was a wreck at the end of her rope last episode with Tom typically not getting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  22. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I don't remember any character having an abortion on any of those nighttime soaps you named. I watched Dynasty and they had abortion come up twice: (1) when Fallon considered it but couldn't go through with it; and (2) when Dana revealed that she had an abortion in the 1970s and it left her incapable of having children. Neither made abortion seem like a palatable option, and I don't think TV has changed much in the years since. Other than in Six Feet Under, I cannot recall any TV character (other than a guest character on a cop or hospital show) getting an abortion in the past 20 years. Apparently, Family Guy planned an abortion-themed episode, but TPTB ordered it pulled.

23. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Yes, that sounds about right, in the past 20 years. I think Carrie Bradshaw mentioned having an abortion at some point in her life the first season of Sex and the City. The option was much more "in the air" in the 1970's and 1980's, beginning, to my recollection, with that Maude episode. I'd be amazed if Lynette had an abortion except if a doctor said her life was in danger.

24. mashenka82

mashenka82 New Member

I finally watched the show and I agree with those who are sick of the same old stuff just a different season.
    Do we really need a new housewife? Maybe. But it's the same old thing. New people come, they are weird and dangerous and cause havoc for the current residents.

Also, I felt awful for Lynette. This woman just never seems to be able (or be strong enough?) to truly take control of her life. I kept expecting the word abortion or adoption at least to come up, but it didn't! I mean, she's had 4 kids, taken in one that wasn't hers, battled cancer... when does she get to actually live for herself?

On the topic of abortion on soaps... there really haven't been any on the soaps I watch. I remember that many many years ago Ashley aborted Victor's child on the Young and the Restless and then promptly went insane I believe (portraying abortion, yet again, as this god awful thing that no one ever gets over). That was the last abortion I remember. Beyond that, just a few weeks ago, on As The World Turns, an 18/19 year old girl realized she was pregnant, went to go get an abortion and while she was in the room about to get it, her mom walked in and demanded that she stop and then lectured her about how abortion was not an option and such.

I feel like it is sucha hot topic issue, but no soap is willing to really talk about it! I mean, it's discussed, but then teh conclusion that women always reach is taht it's not an option. I really do wish shows would talk about this and actually tackle this issue.

25. nerdycool

That's what I was thinking. It being twins, they could actually make it so that her/a baby's health is at risk, and they need to reduce down to one. So it's abortion, but not in the traditional way. But I don't know if ABC's PTB are willing to take on the issue in any form.

26. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Canadian teen drama Degrassi-- both in the late '80s and the current "New Generation," has had abortions on the show. And it wasn't necessarily portrayed as horrific thing it evidently is elsewhere.

27. jenniferlyon

I was going to mention Degrassi, but you beat me to it. :)

The "Next Generation" of Degrassi airs on The N here in the USA. So if a TV show on a kids' network can depict a 14-year-old girl getting pregnant and deciding to have an abortion, why couldn't Desperate Housewives which has an older audience and it's an adult character who is making this choice?

I remember a lot of fans of "All My Children" were angry when Bianca was raped and DIDN'T get an abortion and chose instead to have and keep the baby (which ended up getting switched with someone else's baby and yadda, yadda, yadda, you know how soap operas are).

28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The N did not air that Degassi episode for a long, long time. Initially, they just skipped over the episode, which left those young viewers confused (wait--Manny's pregnant and they no longer talk about it? Why isn't she getting bigger?).

Tom mentioned it was 3 months since Lynette first got pregnant. Can she still have an abortion?

29. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Didn't Lynette ask Tom to get a vasectomy a couple of seasons ago?
    Could she give him one now with the hedge clippers?
    My prediction is that Lynette will need some form of cancer treatment that would endanger the babies. She will decide not to have the treatment - because now she loves the babies. She will lose the babies, anyway. Much angst will ensue. In the meantime, Tom will continue to be clueless and irresponsible and out of touch with reality as he pontificates about motherhood.

By the way, didn't Gaby have 3 children at the beginning of last season? What happened to the other 2?

30. nerdycool

Gabby has 2 children, but Juanita is the only one who gets a lot of airtime and lines. I don't remember her other daughter's name.