Design Divas, and no, I'm not talking about Vern Yip: HGTV Design Star

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Another season of Design Star and the White Box challenge :cheer2:

Lurve Vern. Love Candice's designs, but I don't think her feedback is particularly good or constructive, and I sort of hate Genevieve.

No introduction to the would-be design divas, going straight to work. They're going to an Asian Market. This has real potential for kitchiness, voids, and elegant minimalism. And hopefully, some trainwrecks.
  2. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

I'm watcing. I always swear I won't because David Bromstad is the only winner whose designs I've ever liked (and I still think that Will should have won season 2 :drama:, but here I am again. I'm pretty sure there will be some trainwrecks unless this season is massively different from all the others.

It's interesting that they have helpers this year to help with construction and that they started with the white box challenge.

Nina will be *interesting* to watch. :yikes:

Edited again to add that I don't understand how they came up with the bottom and top six. I would have had both Julie and Tom in the top six.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. Matryeshka

I agree with you about Will, and I hate Antonio. I can't believe Nina won. I HATE her room, and she's such a backstabbing beyotch.

Never trust zodiac people--their heads are always in the stars. :p
  4. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Her hair is :scream: .
  5. LynnW

Well, what do I know.
  6. Matryeshka

I'm shocked they're keeping boring girl over feather girl. I'd have kept feather girl just for nut factor for at least a couple of weeks.
  7. LynnW

Hee, yeah, I liked feather girl and her design, but then I'm a figure skating fan who likes sequins and rhinestones, too. ;)
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  8. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Question - I see David's show with a new season. And Antonio seems active.
    Is Kym's show still on?
    What about Jen, she won, but was pregnant and her show was delayed. I saw one episode, and not sure if I have seen an ad for one since??
  9. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Anyone else missing the two lady judges from earlier season?
    Candice - I like her designs, but her personality annoys.
    Genivive just annoys.
    I thought the other 2 ladies had much better comments.
  10. LynnW

There was a controversy about one of the judge’s ties to Season 2 winner Kim Myles. That particular judge was an editor at In Style. Kim was a friend and hairstylist to a senior editor at In Style and In Style also sponsors (sponsored?) Design Star. HGTV did an investigation and concluded there had been no wrongdoing, but I've always thought that is why HGTV got rid of the two outside judges and substituted their own people.

Personally, though, I liked the earlier two judges' comments better (except for when they got rid of Will instead of Kim :shuffle: ). And I think that they would have understood feather lady (tm Matryeshka) and her design. :drama:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2007/09/hgtv-design-sta.html
  11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I went to bed before seeing who was sent home. WTF were the feathers about? :rofl: Who strews feathers around a room even on TV?
  12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

The feathers... (not that I liked them)
    Reminded me of the same challenge in the first season and David B used something like cat litter (pet store was his only store) to give the 'visual' of a carpet. One of the 2 original lady judges just totally loved it and was gushing over him.
    So if this new contestant did that with that with David Bs success in mind, why not do it, it worked for the first winner. The kind of 'look' the feathers gave - I have seen some rugs like that.
  13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Yes, she even called it a flokati when she did the last bit where they "defended" their rooms.
  14. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

She had a baby boy, who has a number of birth defects. He needs to be monitered round the clock. HGTV eventually did about 6 episodes with her, did not promote the show, ran them at odd hours and called it quits. I think she read about the show's cancellation in the paper.

Wasn't it dog food? I think someone copied the idea last year when they were at the grocery store. Maybe used charcoal?

I'm not too impressed with the new format or any of the designers this season.
  15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update on Jen. So sad about her baby. Hope she is doing ok, not sure if I would have liked her show, but liked her personality.

I think it was some kind of food. Something funky, but it gave the look and gave David a bonus.

I agree, so far none of these folks impress. None of the rooms impressed or stood out. And considering the way they were talking many of them are trained/working in the field. Whereas back in earlier seasons, there were more wannabes. Hope it gets better.
  16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I suspect that it isn't cost-effective for HGTV to "carry" a "wannabe" designer for long enough to see whether they really have what it takes for a successful show. The "wannabes" really don't know what the field, or television, demands. It can be a rude awakening.
  17. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think you can be a good decorator but not be good on TV. This happens on the Food Network Star all the time. So many don't know how to talk to the camera.
  18. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I think you're right on the charcoal. The year they did the dollar store someone used black construction paper. I guess there is one each season that thinks it will work.
  19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

But what suprised me in this first episode, other than the final 2, the hosting was not as relevant for the others. But none of the rooms were wow, and sounds like so many of these folks are professional designers/formal training. David B I think was an artist, Kym did something really cool with her table (and I think a fan of design, not a professional), and Jen did her cool wall painting...

Also something to remember, the girl that did not mention bohemian until the end when she threw the guy under the bus (Nina?). Either Candice or Gen mentioned he was set up. Interesting to see if that pops up again. As much as this is a competition, I wonder if the judges also want someoen that can get along with others and is trustworthy.