Derek Hough (DWTS) to choreograph Davis/White Olympic program

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by azcalder, Apr 22, 2013.

1. azcalder

azcalder New Member

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dancing-Derek-Hough-1064199.aspx

So glad to see them stepping out into the world of dance. Last year was just a consult. This looks like the real thing.
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skategal

skategal Well-Known Member

Wow....that is so interesting. Good for D&W. Can't wait to see what they come up with.
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Must be a new exhibition piece, no? Would be odd to hire a first-time skating choreographer for an Olympic program when the fight for the podium is so tight. Or maybe he is just consulting on it?
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  5. tutuchat

tutuchat New Member

I think it is fabulous.. Derek is a fabulous choreographer. Looking forward to seeing the result.
  6. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I remember that after the Vancouver Olympics (and DWTS) Mark Balas choreographed an exhibition/show program for Evan Lysacek.
  7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If he's choreographing competitive programs for D&W that seems a bit risky considering it's the Olympic season. Not sure if using a first-time skating choreographer for the Olympics is a wise move.
  8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

yes but all he really has to do is add in pieces around the highlight moves they use each program ;)
    (cheeky bugger i am today)
    kidding aside- that is brave- could be a HUGE advantage or a HUGE mistake...
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

D&W used a non-skating choreographer for their Olympic Bollywood OD and had great success ;), so using a first-time choreographer may not be that risky as long as they put out an outstanding final product :)
  10. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

Derek is an outstanding choreographer, and I think his style completely
    suits Meryl and Charlie. Time will tell, of course. But I think it's a great match.
  11. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

12. littleponyjoe

littleponyjoe New Member

Wow, I hope they show them in the audience or better yet introduce them (maybe?)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

YESYESYES!!!!
  14. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

WOW! Brilliant move from them! Derek knows how to choreography eye-popping, original moves that go very well with the music.

And his ego won't allow him to give them anything short of ground-breaking :p
  15. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Did I hear somewhere that they were working with Alex Wong as well?

If so, I'd assume Derek is taking on the SD and Alex would help on the FD. I think this would be an AMAZING move for them. I'm in the minority (I think) for loving Derek. I think he's brilliant and can bring so much out of Meryl and Charlie. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
  16. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

ITA!! :respec:
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Derek can bug me on the show, but I think he is a good choreographer and I'm interested to see what he'll do.
  18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Derek and Kellie did a very nice quickstep tonight on the show!
  19. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Derek is an absolutely fabulous choreographer. Let's hope his work translates easily from the dance floor to the ice. It must be a big challenge when these dance choreographers come in and have no idea what a twizzle is. :lol:
  20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yeah, but I think the best dancers and choreographers understand the movement dynamics, musicality and performance aspects of skating, without having to necessarily understand all the terminology and technical stuff. I believe choreographing for dance and choreographing for dance on the ice is not so different in essence. Dancers surely understand the dynamics of balance and the necessity for softness in the knees. Ice dance in particular seems to have a lot in common with ballroom dance. I think choreographers from the dance world have a great deal to offer skaters and the skating world.

In any case, twizzles are actually nothing more than amped-up pirouettes that move and groove. I'm betting Derek Hough not only can dig them, he probably can do them too!
  21. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Eh. Most of the choreography will probably just get Zueva-ed away anyway.
  22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Zueva-ed away, eh? Hmmm .... If you mean Zueva has a deleterious effect on M&C's choreo, I doubt that. I don't see any evidence of that having happened this season or last. In any case, M&C apparently have major input in the creative development of their programs.
  23. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Abbott has had Benjie Schwimmer do a couple of his short programs. This year's "Spy" for instance & he'd never choreographed for any skaters before to my knowledge. Derek is an excellent choreographer & he was trained in ballroom dance by ...Corky Balas! He has the credentials for sure.
  24. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I hope we'll see Derek in Boston at Nationals in the KnC with Meryl and Charlie!

Does anyone know if Christine "Tuffy" Hough is related to Derek and Julianne?
  25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

If I had a dollar for every time a dance teacher has made a bad (ie technically inaccurate) analogy about skating with all the best intentions, I could pay for a lot of lessons.

From the waist down there is really not a lot that's in any way similar and the feet have absolutely nothing in common at all. Above the waist, holds feel very different, and it's not really lead and follow with frame and weight the way dance is. I would assume that Derek would be getting a LOT of technical assistance with the skating end (ie being told what is and isn't possible) and would be less dictating things like steps in a sequence than (if he's doing the SD) working on things like style, highlights, feeling the character of the dance, and coming up with things like lifts. He also will get to play with something that he can't in dance--the ability to move without moving--you can't glide on the dance floor like you can glide on ice! A spiral is a lot more impressive than an arabesque. Given he's rather out there with his DWTS choreo, he can probably come up with some really new positions and transitions between them that won't work on the dance floor. And FASTER. Skating is so much faster and on the edge (forgive the pun) than dancing. It won't look like a cookie-cutter ice dance program, that's for sure! He's probably excited to play with choreo that's not limited by a wood floor....
  26. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

If any choreographer should complain about a skater modifying anything it's Schwimmer. That...thing that Jeremy did at WTT was not what he had been given and quite honestly the after thought was not good...
  27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Weren't the Shibutanis working with Corky Ballas this year? I don't think for full choreography, just on some dance training.
  28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That's probably the worst program Jeremy has done in like 5 seasons.
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Yes, they talked a little bit about their recent trip to Houston to work with Ballas in Sarah and Drew's latest Inside Edge blog (scroll down to the "Maia and Alex and Yo-Yo" section): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130422&content_id=45488822&vkey=ice_news

On a related note, Virtue/Moir recently spent some time in Montreal with Jean-Marc Généreux, a French Canadian ballroom dance champion and choreographer - he tweeted this photo with them on April 9: http://pic.twitter.com/8ooQZSoPUH

Don't think so - Christine Hough is Canadian and the Hough dance siblings come from a Mormon family in Utah.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Genereux has choreographed for "So You Think You Can Dance" and was the head judge of "So You Think You Can Dance Canada."
  31. laceup

laceup New Member

I'm so excited to see what is created for these teams for the Olympic season.
  32. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same. It'd have to be pretty spectacular for a competitive Olympic program. An exhibition program seems more likely but we'll know for sure by the start of the GP season I guess.
  33. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

So since Meryl and Charlie were in the audience, I decided to watch DWTS. I recorded it so I'm just watching it now. Saw Charlie a lot, barely saw Meryl but the show was fun.