Dennis Hopper Dies at 74

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, May 29, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:fragile: :wuzrobbed:

Dennis Hopper was, without a doubt, one of a kind. As the saying goes, they broke the mold after he came along.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

he's been so ill, this isn't unexpected, but still sad. :(

4. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I just read an article that said he's been embroiled in a nasty divorce for the last year. That he weighed about 100 lobs for the last month or so and was too weak to go for chemo or to court (re: the divorce). What kind of person drags someone so ill through the courts? Hopefully he is a peace now. He was truly unique, and to some degree never adequately appreciated for how talented he was.

6. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

He was one of my favorite actors.
    RIP! :(

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Wow. what a loss, truly one of the great actors of his time. Poor guy.

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think the only two movies of his I've ever seen are Speed and that godawful Super Mario Bros movie... but I lurved both of those when I was a kid, so, he has a special place in my heart and I am very sad to hear this.

10. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

He was also in an early early episode of The Twilight Zone where he played a Nazi. He really had a good range.

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Was checking out a Viggo Mortensen fan site to see if there's any news on the start of the new Cronenberg movie he's going to be in and learned the news that way a few minutes ago. Viggo and Dennis were very close friends, therefore why it was posted there.

Not only was he a talented actor, but also a very talented photographer as well. Some of Dennis' pieces I've seen over the years online at various Gallery websites have just taken my breath away. He truly was a very gifted man and as others have said, the mold was truly broken when Dennis was made.

May he Rest In Peace. :(

12. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I loved him in "Waterworld". His sense of humor made the character so interesting, given that he played a really bad guy!

He was a "one of a kind".

RIP.

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The first film I saw him in was Easy Rider. I thought he was a really talented actor.

ETA..that wasn't the 1st, the 1st one was Giant. He played Elizabeth Taylor's & Rock Hudson's son.

14. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

An article I read said that he was the one who instigated the divorce.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Oh, the one I read didn't specify. Still, very sad.

16. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And I should add, RIP. :(

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He also has an amazing (and very valuable) collection of modern art. With his ex-wife-to-be and his older kids fighting in court even before he passed away, I shudder to think what might happen to that collection....

18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:lol: What? You think they might burn it? It will probably be broken up but, okay, that's usually what happens to possesions when you die.

RIP Dennis.

19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I always liked his acting, but his role in 'Blue Velvet' was strange, strange, strange.

20. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

The first movie I remember seeing him in was Giant. Interesting bunch of folks in that movie.

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

RIP and Goddess Bless Dennis Hopper. He was one of my heroes and model social outcasts at a very young age - and a true social outcast in that always distinguished himself from popular stands.

I loved "Easy Riders", just a brilliant movie. And in "Hoosiers", where he hits bottom, in "Apocalypse Now", when he was so out of it he couldn't remember his lines, and in the films he did later in life (like "Speed). He certainly was willing to dabble in the dark side and did so brilliantly.

I'm also probably one of the few people in the world who liked his film "The Last Movie", which somehow was the award for best film at the Venice Film Festival. He was drunk and/or stoned for most of the movie, which was made in Mexico, but to me the story and spiritual sensibility made sense - though anyone I've watched it with has disagreed (whereas I have seen it at least twice over the years).

I remember one scene in the movie where Hopper is driving down a road. The images changes to a screen with 'Scene Missing' on it and then goes back to Hopper driving down a road.

And then there was another scene with fellow alcoholics partying in Mexico, including Kris Kristoffersen and Michelle Phillips (whom Hopper was married to for eights days - he said that seven of them were actually quite good :)

22. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I also remember him in that movie and even in an earlier one: The Rebel Without A Cause.

23. shah

shah Shhh...

:(:(:(

24. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

The and of an era. I knew he was sick, but I was hoping that somehow he's going to beat the illness, just because he's Dennis Hopper.

R.I.P.

25. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That whole movie was strange.

26. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

One of the things that I'll always remember about Dennis Hopper is a conversation he had with his son (I think it was a son) when he was quite young. I don't remember it exactly, just the gist of it. I just found it when someone else described it on some blog in 2008:

:lol:

27. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I love him in Flashback with Keifer sutherland. I'm not the biggest fan of lot of his iconic movies as much as I should but there ware certain actors that get on my nerves in them. I think he was a blast in Water World (shows what I know about movies :p). I love Dennis mostly for all the behind the scene stuff that I've watched. He really was entertaining. Isiers. Was he in

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Not many actors can say that they were "a force" in the industry, from "Rebel Without A Cause", until the present.
    RIP!

29. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I sort of feel like Dennis Hopper and Chris Walken belong in the same category: quirky, try anything, don't care about image. Gotta love it. I respect both of them for their unconventional choices and sense of adventure.

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He and/or his family got a restraining order to keep her away from him in the last few months. So with that level of animosity anything is possible...