Denney & Coughlin reveal their 2013-14 programs, choreographed by Julie Marcotte

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Is there a 2013-14 Music/Program thread that I missed?

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Glad he's doing well and I wish them a successful and healthy season.

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, music from 'Anastasia' for the SP and 'Casablanca' for the LP. I guess that might work ...

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Thank heavens Sappenfield saw a need for someone else to choreograph their programs. Marcotte is becoming quite the "it girl" for pairs choreography, isn't she?

6. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

She is and has a gorgeous point of view. I still think that Lori and Zueva are under used. I am just not a Camerlengo fan when it comes to pairs.

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Denney in a pwetty princess role. What a match-made in heaven!

8. shah

shah Shhh...

:lol:

9. figureit

figureit Member

This is confusing because I searched her students and most of them have used a professional choreographer last year "Camerlengo" did their programs so?? not sure what the Thank Heavens is for. Marcotte is good but I fear over used soon all the programs for pairs will all look the same but I guess it is a flavor of the month thing.
    Still very excited to see what develops.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well I think Denny would be more believable in the "pwetty princess role" than John as the dashing prince :p

12. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

How very Tara Lipinski!

I sure wish Alissa's recovery had gone as well!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

So glad that John is healthy. I can't wait to see how these two interpret this music. They are such strong skaters and I look forward to seeing Casablanca on ice!

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that because the SP music will be 'Disney' rather than some angst-ridden piece regarding a 'missing' Russian princess, it won't be out of their league and we will all be safe :) . IMO, the music is a step up from war horses like 'Tosca' (electric guitar version) and that Spanish SP piece from last season. POTO and EOE weren't bad for them.

15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Anastasia is a cartoon movie, that Denney called "Disney" in the article, so that is clearly what they are going for. (The movie wasn't actually made by Disney though.) As AxelAnnie mentioned- Tara Lipinski skated to Anastasia, when she won the Olympics.

Though there are a few dramatic songs in that movie, it will surely be 'pretty princess' and not angsty.

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't think they are going for "Disney" if you look at this bit.
    I'm very curious to see this program. :)

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

This seems like very odd prep-work though. There are WAY better ways to research the history of Anastasia than watching the cartoon if you aren't going for that portrayal.

The quote you pulled, it sounds like they took music from the movie, and changed it a bit- but it is still music from the movie.

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think I'm most interested in John's quote that describes the music as "very mature" and "very different". I wouldn't normally think about the soundtrack to Anastasia in those terms. Hopefully they've gone beyond the movie to understand the story, if that's what they are portraying.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Is any of this music powerful? I don't know why they'd want to go against type and do pwetty when they could both do powerful really well.

20. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I sure hope they work hard on their posture (his especially) and expression or else Julie is going to be repackaging the same returned gift. It would help is Denney learned more facial expressions than SMILE! John is such a masculine powerful guy but its covert. A few reference points of great male skaters who were masculine but attentive to their female partner and still had power, expression and character; Hongbo Zhao, Anton Sikharulidze, David Pelletier, Sergri Grinkov to name a few. He could take a page from their books. This team has great skills no doubt but it stops there. They dont have a hallmark yet and to me thats what Sappenfields teams are missing. None of her pairs to me have great distinction.

21. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

And let's be honest Caydee is just not the pwetty princess type.

22. figureit

figureit Member

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Because the judges like Sappenfield's choreography doesn't make her a good choreographer: it makes her a useful choreographer, just as V/T's and Ando's high CH and TR marks for rlatively empty programs don't make Morozov a good choreographer. The judges were enchanted by Bauil's Olympic programs, even that badly cut, vulgar FS program.

Some programs need time and breaking in, but there's pressure to scrap things that don't get good immediate results or feedback. There's no guarantee that the judges would have rewarded later performances by D/C of Camerlengo's program, but, for strategic reasons, Sappenfield changed it, just like Morozov changed Takahashi's SP.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  24. figureit

figureit Member

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Friendly tip for quoting posts: make sure the [/QUOTE] end tag closes the portion of the post being quoted. :)

ETA from the IN article:
    The Colorado Championships in Arvada, CO is usually held in early August - exact dates are not yet listed online that I can find. The preliminary dates for 2013 Champs Champ are Aug. 19-25.

26. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

For the SP, perhaps.

For the Free Skate, which will be to the music from Casablanca, though? That has potential to be a serious trainwreck :scream:.

Caydee Denney is no Ingrid Bergman, and John Coughlin is no Bogart, that's for sure. She has way too much Perk to capture the luminous, subtle sexiness of Ilsa Lung, and he definitely lacks the brooding, dark, cynical magnetism of Rick Blaine.

If any Pairs team could pull of skating to Casablanca, IMO, it's V/T

Quite frankly, I could see a Casablanca program being much more effective and successful in Ice Dance, with Tessa and Scott portraying Ilsa :glamor: and Rick :sekret:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. figureit

figureit Member

end tag closes the portion of the post being quoted. :)

ETA from the IN article:

The Colorado Championships in Arvada, CO is usually held in early August - exact dates are not yet listed online that I can find. The preliminary dates for 2013 Champs Champ are Aug. 19-25.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the quote I posted and the website logged me out then I logged back in a continued to post as an answer to a quote as I do and if it messed up it was a website thing. It has never done that before that way so it was strange but not something I could have fixed sorry again.I will contact the web manager with the error.

I had no idea Champs Camp was in August? I thought it was actually earlier to have to change a program in August would be horrible! If the judges and USFS are doing Champs Camp to help skater(s) finalize and approve a program it should FORSURE be held sooner!

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

We have a 24-hour window to edit/correct our own posts by using the "Edit Post" button on the bottom left.

ETA: Champs Camp used to be held in June (2007-2009) for all Team A and B envelope skaters, but was moved to August in 2010 when the focus shifted to the skaters who have Senior Grand Prix assignments.

30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Maybe Denney, Coughlin, and Gold could do a trio number to Schindler's List and :Dcheese:D their entire way through it together. :scream::shuffle: