Denney/Coughlin appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sit_spin, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I happen to love this team, and I'm hoping there are others who agree with me.

I love their height difference, and the fact that their skating styles match each other (among other things).

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I hope this thread stays positive ;)

Anyway, they have PCS issues that need some fixing, but I'm happy for them and they should be happy with such success in such a little amount of time. I'd like to see them explore music that fits their character in the future. Also, it would be nice for Caydee to really focus on toe-point, extension and flexibility.

Other than that, they've got all the big tricks

3. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

That's what I'm hoping - which is why I wrote "appreciation thread" instead of just Denney/Coughlin. Having a positive thread would be great.

4. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

What I personally like about them are their difficult elements and the way they connect with each other on the ice. You just get a sense that they really enjoy skating with each other.

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I like them, too!! I've liked them since the got together, and I really wanted them to win at Nats. I'm so glad that they did.Their skating is exciting, strong and energetic! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

6. winterone

winterone Banned Member

This is an in your face thread. Let's not try to change the way people feel about this team.

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

How is it an "in your face" thread? GMAB.

I don't think they are that bad. At least they are motivated and landing their jumps. I admit to not being that sophisticated about knowing the difference between good and bad lift positions.

8. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I'm not. I just wanted a place for people who do love them (like me) to talk about them, without feeling threatened. I'm not trying to change the way anybody feels about them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    becca likes this.
  9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

This is a cheer thread. Let's not try to tell people what they can and cannot post, eh?

10. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I love watching this team. I find them exciting and look forward to seeing them live at 4CC. I would love to see them on the podium. I don't really care about all their faults. They're just fun to watch.

11. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Lots to appreciate about this team.

1. They attack and usually land their elements
    2. They are capable of clean programs (a rarity in U.S. pairs)
    3. They have a great triple twist
    4. They skate confidently
    5. They project to the audience

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jaci

jaci New Member

Caydee and John did so well at Nationals! They are a breath of fresh air for US Pairs.

13. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I like them a lot together, they have great energy and connection, and I greatly appreciate the way John tries to mentor younger up and coming pairs. May all good things come to Caydee and John!:cool:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thank you for starting this thread. :)

I appreciate all the hard work that Caydee and John have put in since they teamed up. Their best free skate of the season so far was at Nationals, and that's always :cool: to see!

15. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I loved them in today's broadcast! They have so much energy, and I see great things in their future. I loved the "Tebowing" she and Haven did (yes, I am also a Tim Tebow fan).

On a different note, I love how affectionate John is with Caydee. They're so cute together.

16. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I prefer E/L so much more, but Caydee and John hit it when it counted, so good for them. It was a much deserved win!

17. reroemer

reroemer New Member

I'm glad you started this thread. Go Caydee and John. I can't wait to see these two take their first international medal (I think 4cc's is a great opportunity for them).

18. Sylvia

They won a bronze in their international debut at 2011 Nebelhorn Trophy.

Four Continents should be a good test for them.

19. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I think so. I'm hoping that they have two clean programs.

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I definitely appreciate Caydee's revamped triple twist technique. It's really an outstanding twist. They have a great catch, and John's on one foot, which not enough teams do. While they need more intricacy in future programs and should try to find lift positions that suit her better (more flexibility would obviously help, but I don't think she's as inflexible as she's coming across), there's a new maturity in Caydee's overall presentation on the ice. There's more sophistication, and now they just need to tone down the makeup, etc., to match that. They will never look like ballerinas out there, but they aren't the only ones. They could still soften her arms/hands a bit-- that is something that is somewhat fixable-- but I'm pretty impressed at how well these two connect with each other. Things really did come together quickly for them, and they are better than I figured they would be. The fact that they don't just love skating, but appear to love skating with each other is appealing to me. The Four Continents field is pretty thin this year, so solid programs would put them in great shape.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  21. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Has it ever been confirmed that they're dating?

22. reroemer

reroemer New Member

Congratulations to Caydee and John for their 4cc's silver medal.

23. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

They're definitely dating.

24. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I honestly can't wait to see what they do at Worlds!

25. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I wonder what happens if they ever break up as a couple? Does the skating suffer?

26. Subway

Subway New Member

I've always thought the dangers in that have been overstated. I read somewhere that Brasseur/Eisler dated and when it was over it never seemed to hurt their partnership. I bet conflicts over skating - things like training mindset, effort, choking, putting a program together and that stuff does more damage to romantic relationships than the romantic relationship or break-up does to skating. If the team works well together on ice I'd imagine they'll continue to do so, a few couples of legend notwithstanding. If skaters are like the rest of us, I'd bet a few teams have "dated" and then not dated without the public knowing about it or the team being hurt.

I don't want to like Denny/Coughlin but I do. One fan described a natural kind of joy in their skating that's evident. I thought that's well said. They're not ice dancers. At their best, they're speedy and athletic with a pretty high level of difficulty. Sure it would be great if she had Elena Bereshnaya's refinements but with pairs power and athleticism are important. I'm not too fussed about her positions in the lifts, especially as I don't think they're nearly as bad as some people claim. And some of it is her build. She's not a gamine or ballerina in build and there's nothing wrong with that. That's going to make her lines less transparent than some more sylphlike pairs women.

27. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

^This.

Glad that this thread was started.

I find this team very exciting. If they aren't Gordeeva and Grinkov, that's ok with me.

And I love John. He is one of the nicest people in the sport.

28. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I guess you're right I forgot about them. Maybe it's not a big deal.

I never did like B/S for some reason, they always seemed to vacant but I do like how athletic D/C are, I hope they keep that style, but she does need to work on her posture.

29. Sylvia

I'm not fond at all of that first position in the final lift in D/C's FS (photo linked in the post above) or the positions that follow. I think Caydee's best looking lift this season is the one in the SP when she finishes in the platter position.

They and their coach seem aware of what they need to work on both for the remainder of this season and in the off season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120210&content_id=26657960&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that about John, kwanette and Yazmeen. Right now, I enjoy watching M/B more than D/C, as well as the young up-and-coming US teams of D/S, C/R (some of the jr. US pairs teams are also looking very promising). I am glad that Caydee let her hair down for the fp. I think the bun makes her look unrecognizable and sorta like a clone of "idealized, lyrical" female pairs skater, which is definitely not her style. With her hair down, Caydee's unique flair shines (she could benefit by getting some help toning down and refining her makeup). The unique thing about D/C is their energy and excitement in skating together, and their solid overall pairs skills. But I don't feel their sp this season suits their style, altho' maybe it helped them to start out together somewhat conservatively with music and choreo in order to gain a comfortable foundation together while attempting to please the judges. If they can step it up and find a better on-ice identity while building on their strengths (similar to how Ina & Zimmerman were able to develop a strong partnership and a unique on-ice look), yes of course, D/C don't need to aspire to be G/G.

I did like watching B/S, but they tended to falter in big moments, and although they always skated beautifully, they often seemed to lack passion and excitement.

Re that fp photo of Caydee in final lift: Aaaargh!

Thanks for the link, Sylvia. What they said re their sp selection this year, echoes what I thought.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012