Denney, Barrett announce coaching change

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSOWebmaster, Aug 23, 2010.

1. FSOWebmaster

FSOWebmaster New Member

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/08/23/denney-barrett-announce-coaching-change/

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

..interesting.
  4. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

I wonder why?
    The good news is we will see more John in a Kiss&Cry :smokin:
  5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's surprising since they pretty much went from unknown to the Olympics in two years under Peterson....hopefully they will continue to work on their weak spots, like the lifts, the death spiral, and more refined presentation. I wish them luck! :)

Hopefully their coaching change works out better than Keauna and Rockne's did. :shuffle:
  6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I thought they were splitting or retiring when I first read the title.

:drama:

Anyway, I didn't bother to read the article, but did they say why they changed coaches?
  7. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

I'm surpised since they seemed to be progressing so well with Jim Peterson. Hopefully this will work out for them.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Coaching changes do not always result from negatives. Sometimes in life, no matter what we do, skating or otherwise, we need a fresh perspective to motivate us and push us toward greater things. I hope they were just feeling stagnant and this rejuvenates them. Good luck to them! And much love/respect/credit for Jim.
  9. Fata

Fata New Member

Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one.

Don't really understand why they change coaches though.
  10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Kind of strange, but I'm sure they have a good reason for it.

Trading one pretty (Jim Peterson) for another (John Zimmerman). . .
  11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, but "Saveology Iceplex" is one of the most clunky names for a rink I've ever heard.
    allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Wow. On the surface, this doesn't seem to make sense - they've made a lot of progress under their current coaches, and JZ and Silvia don't have much coaching experience. But Jeremy Abbott's coaching change to Yuka also didn't seem to make sense at the time, and it worked out for him, so....

They'll be making a big move - the other side of the state, basically. From a personal standpoint, that will be tough on Amanda and Jeremy.
  13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

But less of Cute Jim.
  14. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I hope John and Silvia can give Caydee and Jeremy what they need or are looking for.

And one of my favorite memories from 2010 US Nationals is seeing Jim Peterson beaming with pride (and with tears) at seeing his students do well and make the Olympics. He's to be congratulated for all the work he's done. :cheer2: :40beers:
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Tammi

Tammi Well-Known Member

16. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Wonder if Jeremy and Amanda broke up.
  17. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Huh. Interesting.

PJZ in the Kiss and Cry :swoon:
  18. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

He will be there with Amanda and Mark.
  19. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I hope that John and Silvia teach Denney how to stretch and get her into some ballet classes :rolleyes:
  20. jlai

jlai Title-less

I thought it made perfect sense at the time. He has lived at the same place all his life (ie Colorado) and could use some independent living skills.
  21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Isn't John Nicks free now? I'd rather they go to him then an unproven source like Zimmeran and his wife.

It's sad when you think about how emotional Jim got after their performances at Nationals. He definitely has invested a lot of himself in them, but D&B do have to do what they think is best for them. I hope it works out.
  22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Didn't think they would switch coaches but maybe now that they reached the top they want new eyes and methods on and for their skating.
  23. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Or maybe now that both teams are so competitive, training with Evora/Ladwig isn't working so well, esp for Denney & Ladwig.
  24. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I don't think one needs to move 1000 or so miles away to develop "independent living skills", they could just move out of their parents' house. And I was thinking of the coaching change in the context of his skating, not living situation - Tom Z has a lot of experience and coached him to a nat'l title. Yuka did not have the same amount of elite coaching experience. But it seems to have worked for Jeremy, so maybe this seemingly odd coaching change will work well for D/B.
  25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Maybe finances are tight and John Z charges cheaper rates? :saint:
  26. lilshorty

lilshorty New Member

That makes sense...but we would probably have heard by now on a Twitter or Facebook page or something...
  27. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

This is a surprise indeed - I don't think I had heard that John and Silvia were even doing any coaching at this level.

I wonder if any judges/referees suggested this change - i.e. what they needed to do to move up internationally.

Will be ineresting to see if John and Silvia can get the same success that Yuka and Jason have achieved.
  28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I live in Fla. and Coral Springs is only a few hours away from their old rink, so my theory is that Jeremy wanted to stay near Amanda but maybe D/B wanted to be the only elite pair at a rink, so they settled on John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana?

Count me as one who is perplexed by the coaching choice, though. I'm not sure JZ and SF have the experience or politik to help D/B :(
  29. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit New Member

I am curious what Caydee's (haven) little sister is doing. I wonder if she is staying with Peterson/Johnson as coaches or she moved as well too!
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Unofficial hearsay is that the new junior pair team of Haven Denney/Danny O'Shea are staying with Peterson/Johnston/Smith in Ellenton.

ETA:
    I believe that's a recent name change -- the Coral Springs rink used to be known as "Incredible Ice." Just checked the rink's website and Zimmerman/Fontana aren't listed as figure coaching coaches there (yet).
  31. sashasbeau

sashasbeau New Member

Very nice :) I hope they can do side-by-side triple axels next season. They are a special team. Though I hate her hair.
  32. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I will say I imagine Evora & Ladwig placing above Denney & Barrett at the Games was probably a shock to their system. I dont think they imagined that happening.
  33. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

IIRC, Barrett was dealing with an injury during the Olympics and it wasn't mentioned or used as an excuse at the time.
  34. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Hopefully their problems with their current coaching situation can be helped by this coaching change. It does seem surprising because they have done well in a short amount of time (and the season is getting close to starting), but having problems with coaches is normal. Sometimes you work through it, and sometimes you try something different. I doubt they expect a new coach to work miracles and suddenly refine them or anything... I'm sure they have very good reasons for leaving Peterson and their other coaches.

If athletes switched coaches every time they lost to fellow countrymen, there would be an ENDLESS amount of coaching changes. :lol: If you aren't prepared to lose to someone, you probably can't compete. You win some, you lose some.
  35. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

They should call it PJZR - R is for Rink.
  36. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:eek: I don't like this news! :slinkaway
  37. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I didn't realize John Z. had moved to Florida. Is that the reason the temperature in Florida has been several degrees hotter than usual :hat1:.
    Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  38. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Peterson's statement shows he's a class act.
  39. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This one kind of surprises me but I am sure they know what they are doing. They should get good coaching from John and Silvia and perhaps they can learn SBS 3flip or lutzes as Silvia surely knows a thing or two about teaching them even if she was never the most consistent or best jumper herself.
  40. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am surprised also. Why tamper with success? Makes no sense to me but then some things never do!:rolleyes: