Demi Moore Hospitalized for "Exhaustion"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jan 25, 2012.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

And I've seen plenty of posts (not just here) about how Steve Jobs had treatment options early on in his cancer that could have significantly altered his outcome, and how some people do not pity him at all, as (in their opinion) he brought his death upon himself.

Anyone can find a reason to not pity another person if they're determined to.

2. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Wow. Mean crowd here. I'm kind of shocked and disappointed, frankly.

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wise words.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Have you read the threads that citicizes skaters like Zhang, Flatt and Plushy? This is just the usual FSU :lol:.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

having a mental disease (which it sound like she has) is VERY different from 'feeling down' or 'wanting more vacation'. Money can't get you out of that striking, and if it strikes you, it doesn't matter how much sick time you get - iff you stop eating you will not function in your work.

If she just was feeling down and sad and needed rest, I am sure she wouldn't have checked in to a hospital.

I feel a lot of envy here.

6. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Because otherwise the well will run dry? :confused:

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

8. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

What well? It's at best a dimple in the ground.

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not the only juvenile behaviour as of late, apparently.

11. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

First off, I wish Demi well, hope she gets herself together. That said, she has always been extremely focused on her looks and her body and is a control freak. I can remember reading interviews/articles years ago about the daily, long and punishing workouts she'd put herself through to maintain the body beautiful. Fine, that's her choice, however the simple fact is she's growing older and she can't put off or erase the signs of aging completely.

My personal take is that Ashton's behavior really destroyed her. Here's a woman obsessed with looking as young and hot as possible, and her younger spouse cheats on her with very young hotties. Liz Smith had a good article today on both Demi and Heather Locklear. They are still very beautiful women, but Hollywood isn't kind and doesn't shower the beautiful but non-Meryl Streep type actresses with roles once they pass well into their forties. If you built your career on your looks and you hotness, you often don't have a lot to stand on. Not saying Demi is a bad actress, but she's no Meryl or even a Sandra Bullock. Range is not exactly her strong point. I actually can believe exhaustion, because she hasn't been setting the world on fire with her acting career, and now the other primary thing that got her attention is also gone. She's at a crossroads, will be interesting to see how she handles it. Again, I wish her peace, serenity, and good things.

Smith article: http://www.wowowow.com/liz-smith/li...mi-love-you-didnt-you-didnt-do-right-by-them/

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I may only be speaking for myself here, but what bothers me about the use of the term "exhaustion" in this situation is that there is a lot of indications that something else is going on. That doesn't mean she or anyone else is obligated to reveal the specifics, or that she really isn't exhausted, but her PR person using that term reads to me like everyone is expected to just accept it and believe it.

And as has been pointed out, celebrities have used "exhaustion" as a reason for hospitalization for a whole range of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with actual exhaustion. So her PR person should know that saying a celebrity is "exhausted" doesn't really divert anyone, and is more likely than anything to set off more speculation (which I'm guessing was *not* the intent). So if anything I think her PR person is at fault here, not Demi herself.

That being said, I am glad Demi has enough money to get the treatment she likely needs, and she has obviously gone through a horrible situation that I hope she is getting some help in dealing with.

13. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

14. Civic

Civic New Member

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Years ago, a family friend was hospitalized with "exhaustion" and there weren't any drugs, alcohol, or eating disorders involved. He's not rich or famous. He's just a hard-working average joe who owned a small business. He was coping with a terminally ill parent, a nitwit teenaged son who got himself arrested for drug dealing *and* being short-staffed at his business which was his sole source of income. He was too proud to ask for help and ran himself into the ground trying to hold everything together.

15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I feel bad for her. It's not easy when a relationship ends. I don't think it's fair for anybody to imply that it should be easier for her because she is rich/famous/asks for the press etc...She's obviously having a hard time with it. Maybe she has, in the past, asked for media attention. A lot of people seem to crave fame but there's no handbook on how to handle it when things turn bad. And it doesn't mean that she should be a pro at handling a break-up. And as to her and/or her people claiming exhaustion, she doesn't owe anyone any explanation as to why she's checked herself into a hospital. If she one day wants to discuss it further, that's her choice.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Prancer

:confused:

So what? What difference does it make to anyone whether she has been hospitalized for exhaustion or anorexia or drugs?

What do you care if the publicist expects you to believe it? You clearly don't. But since you say that no one is obligated to reveal the specifics, what exactly do you expect the publicist to say? What other term would be specific enough to be a reason a person would be admitted to a hospital but general enough not to reveal the details while at the same time preventing people from speculating about the REAL reason?

Again, so what? :confused:

And again, what SHOULD the publicist say to prevent people from speculating?

Somehow, I doubt that a publicist is going to have any doubts about whether there will be speculation; that's sort of a publicist's bread and butter, isn't it? There would be speculation regardless of what was said because that's what people do. The publicist's job at this point is not to prevent speculation, but to protect the client as much as possible.

I can see being annoyed if the government lies to you about something; I don't get thinking that a celebrity's personal woes are so important that we must have TRUTH. Whether she's in for drug addiction, anorexia, exhaustion or a nervous breakdown--what difference does it really make? Who or what is hurt by the word "exhaustion"?

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Whatever it is she has: I think in almost any situation I'd rather have money than face whatever without money. Just my preference with no animosity towards Demi. I am sorry the relationship didn't work out as it appears she was truly in love with the guy. That has to hurt---no matter how wealthy.

18. mag

mag Well-Known Member

My post with regard to Demi's money was in response to someone saying money doesn't buy you happiness. That is absolutely correct, it doesn't. That said, to say that a working poor person with no family support going through a marriage breakup, dealing with exhaustion, and a possible eating disorder is in the same boat as Demi is, IMHO, unfair. I assume what Demi is going through is difficult, BUT, and it is a big but, she doesn't have the added stress of possible losing her job because she has no sick time left (that assumes she had sick time to begin with) and then perhaps losing her house or having her children taken away because she can't feed them. Mental illness does not discriminate based on economic level, but the ability to get treatment and carry on one's life is greatly affected by economic level. If Demi is, in fact, suffering from a mental illness she will have access to the very best care in the world. If she accepts the help, she will have as much time she needs to recover. The same cannot be said about the millions of people without healthcare coverage, without sick days, without savings....

This doesn't mean I am unsympathetic to Demi or that I don't understand that there are unique stresses to being a middle aged actress in Hollywood, but if I had to choose between being in Demi's situation and the other example I gave above, it would be an easy choice.

19. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

How about "My client has been hospitalized and further details will be released when appropriate". It's not going to stop people from speculating - you know as well as I do that's going to happen no matter what gets said - but IMHO it would serve the purpose better.

The publicist is not protecting the client by using words that he/she should know will only provoke more attention and speculation. There will be speculation regardless, but there are also ways to handle the situation that don't inflame it further. A simple confirmation that the client has been hospitalized is really all that's necessary.

I didn't say I was annoyed or demanding the absolute truth. Please don't misrepresent what I said, or suggest that in the grand scheme of things that I think this is more important than real issues. But FWIW I think that Demi Moore's reputation is not helped by her publicist claiming "exhaustion" - because, as we see here, that inevitably sparks responses of "she should do a real person's job and get paid what real people get paid and then she'd know what exhaustion is". And in a job that depends on people wanting to pay money to watch your product, reputation is everything.

20. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

So, her kids have a nitrous tank that Demi dipped into?

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Just a random bit of info to add to the mix here: I met someone a few years back who knew someone who worked for the actress Heather Graham. She said it was quite an eye opener to hear what her life was like - way more work and stress that one might think for a successful celebrity.

Apparently even after she started getting good roles that earned her acclaim and made money at the box office, she was still in constant competition with other actresses to get parts. It's a constant sell job with meetings, meet and greets, being at the right events and parties, meeting the right people etc - and dealing with a lot of rejection. She had to attend tons of events just to keep her name out there and network with the right people (it's not just the awards shows - it's the endless rounds of luncheons, openings, premieres, parties and publicity events too), and that necessitated much time spent with stylists fitting outfits etc, not to mention the pressure to keep your body in shape and your looks perfect and the time that takes.

I'm not making a judgement either way; just pointing out that it's not all glamorous parties and being waited on hand and foot by the pool for people like Demi.

22. Prancer

You think that statement would work better?

Seriously?

In what way?

:confused:

I would think the first question people would have is "*gasp* Why? What's wrong with her?"

And since the answer isn't forthcoming, I would think speculation would immediately run rampant. And then some.

Right. Because it's the word "exhaustion" that inspired comments about her not having a real job. I thought it might be that danceronice didn't think acting was a real job, at least as Demi Moore does it, and this thread just gave her an excuse to say it.

I'm sure that if Demi Moore had been admitted to the hospital for undisclosed reasons, danceronice would never have thought to make that comment, relevant as it is to the matter at hand. :saint:

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

when celebrities use their relationship as a vehicle for publicity, there is often not much sympathy when karma comes and shuts it down.

i dont really care what her publicist calls it, we all know it is a euphemism for something else that is none of our business. however, if she really is huffing, that is pathetic.

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. Had an eating disorder. I deal with it. If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time. Get over it and accept life isn't about rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations. You can't drug your way to happy, prescribed or otherwise. People who make millions (and REALLY? Having to keep fit and audition for roles is hardship? Oh, please. I'd like to have 2-3 hours a day again to exercise like in school, but I'm a grown-up now.) for being good-looking and able to remember lines (which is most Hollywood actors) really don't have much to complain about. If it's so hard, there are 1001 actors REALLY having to work those auditions and network who would love to take their place while they recouperate.

Considering that with some of their paychecks they could retire by investing what they earn for one movie and live a modest private life for the next fifty years while still being comfortable and quite generous to charity, no one is holding a gun to their head making them live the celebrity lifestyle. You chose to swim in the shark tank, you get bit.

25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Wow. So nice to learn that you can "just get over" an actual medical condition, a chemical imbalance, etc. I suppose you can just get over yourself and "get over" diabetes as well, since really, all that is is another kind of chemical imbalance. WTF-ever is going on with Demi Moore, YOU are a clueless tool.

26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Well, isn't that fine and dandy for you. You are definitely one of the rare ones. I sure wish that my grandfather had been able to "get over himself" instead of putting a gun to his head. I guess trying to make a go by himself of a failing farm left him "too much free time." No matter what Demi Moore's real problems might be, reading comments like yours about depression make be so :mad:.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Heather Graham is a successful celebrity? :lol: ;)

28. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Wow. How nice of you to be so non-judgemental and empathetic.

:rolleyes:

29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Yeah, uh....you weren't really depressed. Actual depression will involve an imbalance in several neurotransmitters and this often has a strong genetic component. A big hint that you may have such an imbalance is to have several close relatives who have killed themselves or attempted to. Did you try to tell them to get over themselves?

30. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

In fairness, depression can be real without necessarily involving medication. I know a lot of people who really suffer from depression, but treat it naturally without drugs.

http://depression.about.com/cs/altmedsjw/ht/Naturally.htm