Demi Moore Hospitalized for "Exhaustion"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jan 25, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That excuse is so transparent, why don't they try something more original like Rapid and Severe Onset of Restless Leg Syndrome?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

((( Demi )))) Break-ups are hell, esp. when one thought that they'd found the love of their life.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

:lol:

The comments on the Yahoo article this morning were trending...less than sympathetic. Yeah, breakups suck. Getting older in a profession based 99.99% on looks sucks. Sucks a LOT less when you're filthy stinking rich from said profession and can check yourself in for "exhaustion" instead of having to crawl out of bed and go to work like the plebes. (Assuming, as several people also pointed out, you HAVE a job in this economy.)

Sorry, people who are used to high six/low-seven-figure paychecks for reading lines for a camera and are mostly famous for being famous at this point are really, REALLY low on the sympathy list. I don't know how older her kids from her first marriage are, but hopefully they're with someone supportive right now.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Eh. What a drama queen.

6. BigB08822

No pity for her at all. She has a really great relationship with her first ex, sounds like nothing horrible happened with Ashton and her kids all seem to have their heads on their shoulders. She has plenty of money and continues to get work when she wants it. So her marriage didn't work to someone much much younger than her...you don't say??

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"Exhaustion" was being used when Elizabeth Taylor was young. Ita that they need to come up with something else. I'd like to see a coal miner attempt to be hospitalized with "exhaustion."

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Money can't buy happiness and love.

9. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Girl's been looking rough lately. I'm saying ED and/or getting back into drugs.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

In other words:

a) you feel like you deserve to be loved and don't sympathise with people for whom it's an issue

b) you have the same problem and you're lashing out at Demi because she's reminding you of something uncomfortable

:p

11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

No, but it sure is better than being poor. It does buy time to be exhausted and time to find yourself without having all this pesky worries like where the next meal is coming from.

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

13. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I hear she's come down with the hysteria. :sekret:

14. BigB08822

As has already been said, having that money means she can check into the hospital for "exhaustion." Could you imagine going to the hospital claiming you have exhaustion and then trying to get your insurance to pay for it? Not to mention the time you miss from work.

15. duane

duane New Member

:rofl:

16. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

"Exhaustion" is just a PR excuse that her reps have given for her hospitalization. I doubt that she was checked into the hospital for that issue. There are obviously other underlying issues that required Demi to be treated in an emergent basis. To the extent that 911 had to be called to her home.

I feel for her. She obviously has a a lot of issues going on and I hope she gets the help she needs. :(

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

BYTCH and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Or a haunted leg!

[/Gilmore Girls flashback]

Flippancy aside, I hope she'll be all right.

19. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

On the other hand, some of us get to recover from bad breakups in private. I sure wouldn't have wanted cameras and Access: Hollywood around a few years ago. So the fact that I had to get up and go to my job was balanced out by not having to dodge cameras everywhere and be subjected to a zillion people tsking that it was what I deserved for picking the guy that I did.

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yes, but Demi didn't get to live in the bazillion dollar house and get a bazillion dollars per movie by wanting to live her life in private and telling the photographers and TV tabloid shows not to pay attention to her. Some celebs don't seem to understand that you don't get media attention only when it suits you.

21. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Just because she has money, houses, etc. doesn't mean that she was/is happy about how her life course has taken her. And those of us who chat on a forum where anorexia and depression are frequent topics of discussion should know that those illnesses are rarely about wanting that condition, but something that unless is recognized, treated and monitored for relapses.

A woman or man who is older than their significant other must always fear that they will leave you for someone younger. To make light of it because someone thinks it should have been a no-brainer, isn't kind. I don't know how old she is, but to think that no one will love you is a very difficult thing at any age.

Technically it is exhaustion - it has been reported she wasn't eating, sleeping, or functioning in a normal pattern. You can go without sleep or food for so long before your body becomes exhausted.

You are right - the coal miner or whoever doesn't get to call it exhaustion, it goes by whatever mental illness name that we happen to name it at the time. Both have their stigma. You don't think she should be able to afford healthcare - then don't help support her through going to her movies, etc.

It is a terrible thing to go through - people all know what it is, she knows what it is

22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I've never been a fan of Demi Moore, but I'd say that having your husband screw random girls who then go and sell their stories to tabloids is pretty horrible. As is having the world ask what you expected after marrying a much younger guy.

23. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You forgot "you're just jealous!" :p

24. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Exhaustion. Could that be the same as nervous breakdown? Yes, she's older than Ashton, but if they were strangers and you saw them together, who'd even think that?

25. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

If one is going to use a euphemism, does it really matter what euphemism is used? :confused: I don't understand the objection to the term, nor do I understand why anyone thinks she has some sort of obligation to NOT use a euphemism. Strictly speaking, a person with anorexia IS exhausted.

:huh:

Money smooths the way in life and makes it more likely that you will get good care for your ills, but it doesn't do a whole lot to keep you from suffering from depression and experiencing unhappiness. I don't understand thinking that Demi Moore somehow can't suffer because she is rich and famous, or that it is her own fault for not realizing that younger men can't be faithful to their wives. Men are either faithful or they are not; it doesn't have a whole lot to do with their wives, but has everything to do with them.

A little compassion costs you nothing and invites the same when you are suffering.

26. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. I've been hospitalised for exhaustion several times. I had "severe exhaustion" written on my doctor's notes for medical leave for work and study. I didn't ask for it to be written, but I much preferred it to any specifics, which I consider to be private.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

So what if she's unhappy? The best comment ever made about happiness is in "No Cure For Cancer"--"Happiness is a short thing. You eat the cookie, you ****, you smoke the cigarette, that's it. 'I'm just not happy, I'm just not happy...' Shut the **** up." I'm not HAPPY realizing I'm exhausted from working all week, the cat just threw up in the living room, the dogs need to be walked and the yard work all needs to be done, but as I'm NOT a rich celebrity who has 'people' for that, either I do it or it doesn't get done. I can be happy later when I'm finished. The quote is "pursuit of happiness", not "guaranteed to get it constantly and never have anything upsetting happen ever ever ever." (Because the Declaration was written by grown-ups, not spoiled children.)

Like overedge said, she (and any celebrity) didn't get to be rich by telling the press to go away and magazines not to write about her and entertainment shows not to cover every detail of her relationships. You want to be rich and famous? Congratulations, your life is an open book. That means when things go bad, that's also public. Suck up and deal and don't complain, or quit being a 'celebrity' and get a real job.

I don't even have ANY sympathy about potential eating disorders (beyond 'Really? She's always been boney, but since she's single NOW it must be anorexia?') and if there is actual depression and not just self-pity (which impe is what a lot of "depression" is-finding out the world does not exist to make sure you're happy all the time). Lots of people are disordered eaters and depressed. If they're really really really lucky, they might have insurance that covers treatment and someone to pick up the daily-life slack while they get it.

If I'm going to pity the rich I'll save it for someone like Steve Jobs, who earned his money and whose probems were called "getting screwed by nature."

28. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

danceronice, why is it only non-celebrity's who deserve your sympathy? People are people. So what if a lot of non-celebrity's have eating disorders and are depressed? Can't we have compassion and/or sympathy for anyone who goes through that? As someone who has gone through (and is going through constantly) both, I feel sad any time I hear of anyone suffering from depression or an eating disorder. Insurance or no insurance, celebrity or not. I know I'd hate to go through either in the spot light, but either way, it's sad. The same goes for a marriage break-up, a death, an illness. We're all human.

It's really not an either/or. Just because someone can afford to have treatment and/or has insurance doesn't negate their issues and IMO we can feel compassion and sympathy for all of them. Just because there are people worse off than me (or Demi) doesn't mean I (or she) can't also feel sad, depressed, angry or whatever. My sad is different to yours, but to me it's still sad. I may feel pain when you wouldn't, but it's still pain to me.

And not being happy is not the same as being depressed and/or having an eating disorder. No one is happy all of the time, but if you're unhappy most of the time, that's a problem.

What makes you think Demi Moore didn't earn her money? :huh: I thought she got her money from acting?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  29. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

There's a whole lot of ignorance above. Maybe the self-pity that you seem to have no patience for is actually a manifestation of depression. It's pretty damn difficult to be depressed and put on a "happy" exterior. And that can come across as self-pity because depression makes you think that it is you that's the problem. You become the freak that's just not like anyone else because you can't function like normal, you have to fight tooth and nail just to get out of bed in the morning, you can't get pleasure out of things that you're supposed to get pleasure out of, you can't feel emotions like a normal person. It's pretty hard to not exhibit some self-pity in that state.

As far as Demi goes, I have a lot of sympathy for anyone suffering from depression or eating disorders. Yes, being wealthy means that she has access to resources easier than most but that doesn't mean it's really any easier.

And since you brought up Steve Jobs, he had much easier access to resources to treat his illness too. And depression is an illness too and is just as much being "screwed by nature". I don't see any difference.

30. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Yes but it sounds so much classier than being hospitalized for huffung.:lol: