Delta/JFK THREW OUT Skates

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by dbny, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The rules, on the site that you linked, are that the TSA agent gets to make the final decision, regardless of what lists say.
  2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I took my skates on a carry on bag; I had the skate guards on and both blades locked together and I had no trouble. This was also with Delta. I guess it depends on what TSA you walk up to.
  3. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Ok. I am not an expert here. But it seems to me that if NO SKATER can board a plane with their skates. OR...AT LEAST be able to TRUST an AIRLINE with skates.....there's something wrong!!! There surely needs to be a change in pollicy (sorry if that's spelled wrong). Skaters should be able to keep their skates in the overhead compartment wrapped up. Were they know they'll be safe. Here's another thing too....and I am surprised the airlines or anyone for that matter hasn't thought of this. But if were talking about skates covered with...Gaurds OR even Soakers. Even if a medal Detector CAN penatrate. Sercurity shouldn't need worry. As that's one reason why Skaters put them on...However if were talking uncovered blades. Then there should be no reason why skaters can't just cover the blades and walk right through. But I'm sure nothing will change untill the airlines get sued by a skater for the above (throwing out skates or etc.).
  4. Skittl1321

The reason is that blades can easily be UNCOVERED should someone want to use their skate blades as a weapon.

I can see why TSA would be concerned, but it's ridiculous that it isn't just stated one way or the other. The "I get to make up the rules as I go along" is their clearly written rule, and that just doesn't help.

I do have a question for the poster who said the blades were locked together- for what reason? Was the way to unlock them in your checked luggage? And if it was- wouldn't losing that be the same as losing your skates? (And if it was in your carry on- then what's the point?)
  5. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Are we saying that the BOOT PART can be bought on. But NOT the BLADE? I can understand people possibly using blades as a weapon. But...GIVE ME A BREAK!!! If skaters have their skates in a bag...and even if not. If blades a covered. I'd find it awfully hard to even get the time to uncover skates. For that matter. When was the last time a real professional Skater used her skates as a weapon? The main point here is that Skaters should be able to go on a plane and not have anything thown out.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  6. julieann

The reason the TSA has a problem with skates being brought on board is the presumed threat the blades may cause. Even though anyone can just get a glass champaign glass from first class and break it, or a piece or silver wear, or a pen...etc and use that as a weapon.

The reason for locking the blades together with the guards on is because no one can get the guards off without unlocking it. The perceved threat is now gone so they let me on with them. Unless you want to beat someone over the head with my skates, but it's highly unlikely. Some hard ass TSA still may see it as a threat but I haven't had a problem so far, and with it being in my carry-on I'm not concerned about loss. They only cost less than $50.00 anyway.
  7. Skittl1321

Yes, I get the idea that locking the blades with guards on makes them so that the blade can't be used as a weapon.

My question was- where did you have the key to unlock the blades? Because if it was in your carry on, there is no actual risk reduction, because you could just unlock them should you happen to be an ice skating terrorist, but if it were in your checked luggage (so you can't unlock the skates midflight) then wouldn't losing the checked luggage have the same effect as if you had checked the skates? You wouldn't be able to use them until the luggage is found, because they are locked together.
  8. julieann

My bags are in the cabin with me so there is no risk of lost luggage. My skates were locked with a bike lock, similar to this but smaller. They can be locked with anything I guess but keys and I don't mix :rofl: I lose keys all the time and the skates would have been rendered useless anyway.
  9. Skittl1321

Okay- so if you were a terrorist, you could just unlock them?

So like most things TSA does- it's just false security...
  10. julieann

That terrorist would have to be a pretty good at guessing the combination, I guess if the flight were long enough :rofl: and if I allowed a STRANGER to dig though my luggage! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  11. Skittl1321

If YOU were the terrorist. You know your own combination and have access to your own luggage. I don't think a terrorist is likely to dig through your own luggage- s/he'll bring what s/he needs in their own.
  12. julieann

I guess they figure if they are locked they are safer then not. I don't make the rules I'm just passing on what worked for me.
  13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've never heard of someone padlocking/cable locking blades together. It's ineffective for anything other than a minor theft deterrent, imo. It would be good at a public session if you had to leave the skates alone for a bit. It might discourage someone from stealing them impulsively, but if they really want those $80 skates, they can just steal them and clip the lock/cable later.

I suspect that the woman whose skates were confiscated in the OP didn't have hard guards on the blades. I'm sure julieann's guards are why they let her bring her skates on the plane, not the over-the-top security system, lol. I said before, JFK/Delta screening let me bring TWO pairs of skates on board. I was up front about what I was carrying in my zippered bag and both pairs had the guards secured with zip ties and the soakers covering those. (Mainly so I didn't lose the soakers.)

I think it's mostly how the skater handles the situation at the gate, what the security level du jour is, and how tired the agent is that determines whether or not they let you bring them as carry-on.

Make sure the guards are secured to prevent the skates hurting someone should they fall out of the overhead.
    (They can't take your word for it that you'll put them under your seat.)

Someone has said that they go to the security supervisor first and explain why they have the skates. I just told the screening agent "I'm a figure skating coach and I have two pairs of figure skates in this bag." I unzipped the bag, sent it through on its own into the xray machine. I had the TSA brochure in the same bag, but never needed to use it. I had my PSA and USFSA coach card handy, just in case they needed proof. No one asked.

I don't think they really care how much our skates cost. I don't know what TSA Agents make annually, but telling them that I wear $1,200 skates might make them resentful and it comes across as bragging. Better to just be quiet unless they ask about cost.

Explain that you're going to a competition/show/etc. where you need THESE skates to perform, so you want to keep them with you on board. Offer to gate-check them with the cabin attendants.

If you don't need the skates immediately for your destination, check them.
    It's so much easier than hauling them around and worrying about what might happen at the gate.

. A swipe of WD40 on each blade will prevent rust.
    . Use guards/ties with the soakers over both, just so the blades are protected well from being tossed about.
    . To protect from bad weather or handling, put each skate inside a clear plastic bag.
    . Label each skate and the bag multiple times with your name and destination address.
    . A note about needing the skates in (destination) would be smart to drive home the point of "these have to get there when I arrive."

I wonder if there's insurance for lost skates? Maybe homeowner's or automobile policy or a travel certificate might cover them?
    Not that that's the ideal situation ... if you need your skates when you get there, money six months later doesn't help much.
    I know that the airlines compensate if they lose something, so take a picture and save your receipts, but it might not cover the replacement cost, especially if you bought them a while ago or if they were a bargain.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I suppose that skate blades could be detached and used as a weapon, but it would be awkward. I've always heard the best weapon if you are attacked by terrorists on a plane is a baseball in a long sock. Do they allow you to bring baseballs on a plane?

You can't guarantee anyone 100% safety in every situation. I think not allowing people to bring common household items and sports equipment in carry-on is a pointless inconvenience.
  15. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

As FigureSpins noted, telling the TSA agent the worth of the item wouldn't help. Some swords are worth well over the amount that any custom boot/blade combo could cost, and saying that the sword is worth that much isn't going to get it on the plane. It's not about the worth of the item; it's about what the item is. A $5 sword or a $5,000 sword is still a sword, and likewise, it doesn't matter if your skates are worth $1,200 or $120.
  16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Actually, in Australia, skates are NOT allowed. But it's a common sense thing. It's a bit of sharpened metal. Regardless of whether it is covered or not, it's a bit of sharpened metal. Common sense dictates they're going to be hesitant anyway.
  17. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Yes, someone said that carry-on skates are not allowed on planes in Australia and several other countries.

The debate in this thread is about the policy in the US. It's basically up to the TSA agents on duty at the moment the skater brings the skates through the security screening area.

The TSA really needs to just make a consistent policy and the airlines need to get rid of the checked bag charges in this case.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  18. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I just travelled from Detroit to Salt Lake City and back for the US Adult Nationals (on Delta, although that has no bearing on the TSA security lines). I had absolutely no problems taking my skates on the plane as a carry on. In Detroit I asked the TSA agent where they check your ID if it would be a problem to carry them on and he said no.

In Salt Lake City I actually had two pairs in my carry on because I bought a new pair from a vendor there. Once again they didn't even bat an eye at them. I did, however, get a random draw to have my shoes put through an x-ray. :rofl:

Nobody else on my flights had a problem either. There were several skaters on each flight.
  19. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Since 9/11 rules have changed for obvious security reasons. Everything that can be considered as a weapon is banished as a carry on in a plane. A skate blade can definitely be considered as a weapon.

Skates should be put in the luggage. One may still want to carry them in the plane but it is at his own risk and responsability toward the security employee who can forbid them.
  20. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I had no trouble, either, carrying my skates to and from Salt Lake City. In Chicago, my bag was taken aside and rescanned - but it wasn't because of the skates in it. It was because of the Stinkeez in my boots! I packed them in my checked luggage on the way home, and the agents in SLC didn't even blink at the skates.
  21. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I didn't have any issues in Boston or Salt Lake City getting my skates through. They just want through the xray and I was on my way. I don't even tell the TSA they're in there, I feel like drawing needless attention to them won't be helpful. If you don't make a big deal out of them, chances are the TSA won't either.
  22. ksneds

ksneds New Member

I think the picture is a general illustration of sporting goods. It shows a dumbbel/handweight, and those are specifically prohibited in carry-on luggage

Nowhere do they say skates are or are not allowed, thus I suspect you'd have little to back up a claim that ice skates are allowed in carry on. You'd be at the mercy of the TSA agent at security - and I've heard of people being permitted to carry on skates and also heard of people not permitted to take skates on. I'd suspect the latter is more common since they have sharp blades.
  23. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

All I know is that in two different airports the TSA agents could not have cared less that I had skates in my carry on.
  24. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. I've heard of very few occurances of skates being denied. I probably have flown with my skates 50 plus times in the past decade through airports all over the country and had them denied ONCE in Atlanta, a place I've gotten them through many times before. And I think the only reason they were denied was 4 of us were going through security right after another with skates, although not to the same flight. That was the only time, and all my friends who go to Nationals and other competitions through the year never have them denied. YMMV, but I don't think it's a commonplace thing that skates get turned away.
  25. FSWer

FSWer New Member

I have a question to ask. Do Skaters fly on a private plane (I'm expecting they do)? Or do they fly with reg. passengers? Im asking this because I just heard on the news yesterday (I'm not sure what airline it is,or if it's all airlines) now have to pay you back the money for your luggage if they indeed loose it. I don't know though if that means (and includes) money for skates,etc. if indeed skaters DO fly with us that an airline has to pay back money for things like that in luggage that were lost. Prior to people not being able to take them on. I've also been told by a friend that airlines DO suggest that if you have ANYTHING valable, that you should take it with you in A carry-on. So if skaters DO fly private. Then even with all the policies,etc. If the ONLY people on a plane ARE the skaters. The airlines should be having no problems. As they should know that it's a tour that just needs to take a flight. But if they fly with us. Maybe skaters SHOULD have a private flight. Wee the airlines AND they can know that what there taking on are just their skates,etc.
  26. Skittl1321

Skaters do not fly private. I doubt they even get to fly business class when flying international. They fly coach, because the federations don't have much money to send them places. (For things like nationals, I think the skaters actually pay their own way to get there. It's only internationals that the federation pays for.)

I suppose if a skater were wealthy they could fly first class or private, but that would only be if they would do that normally, even if they weren't a skater.

--------------

The baggage fee is the new fee that they charge you to check a bag- if you check a bag, and pay a fee for it, and they lose your luggage, they need to reimburse the fee (even if the luggage is later found) That's because the fee is paid to get your bag to a certain location, and failure to do so means you paid for a service you didn't receive. The reimbursement makes sense.

They have always had to pay an amount for luggage permanently lost- but it's really low, like $500, and wouldn't cover the actual belongings most people have in their bag.

I would think that federations take out travel insurance when they send their skaters internationally, and that might pay for skates to be replaced, but the issue is really more that they want THOSE skates- not new ones.
  27. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Here's something interesting that happened to my friends, a dance team, on their way from Atlanta to SLC. She was allowed to go through security with her skates, he was made to go back and check his skates. I assume they were in different lines, but it just shows that so much of this is up to the discretion of the screener.
  28. FSWer

FSWer New Member

I would also like to add,that maybe what these airlines should do...is have 4 Lines.

1 Line for people who are just taking a trip,etc. Another Line for people who are travaling for Busness Another Line for ANYONE connected with a Terorizum (sorry if I spelled that wrong) or crime of any sort. ...and a 4th Line.....for ANYONE connected with a Travaling Tour or who is famous. In this Line the sercurity would be able to know RIGHT OFF THE BAT that if the detector goes off. It more then likely would be just metal from Skates. Or some kind of prop. Because in response to dbny. I agree.....It is getting rediculous.
  29. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Because that's completely practical. :rolleyes:

And because OF COURSE famous people should get special treatment and be exempt from the rules. :rolleyes:

And what happens the first time a terrorist says they're part of a Traveling Tour and the guards ignore the metal detector because "It's OBVIOUSLY skates" and the guy has a GUN!?!?!?