Decorator suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Apr 3, 2011.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

My new house has light oak cabinets with brass handles, brass light fixtures and light oak hardwood floors in the kitchen, living, dining room and foyer. The brass fixtures and light cabinets are part of the reason I got it for $25,000 below appraised value. I'll change out the light fixtures in a couple of year or closer to selling so they'll be updated, and probably put in new counter tops. Granite is still big here, but that too can wait.

The kitchen is currently painted a pastel green which I really don't like. The appliances are white (which is fine because they are a lot easier to keep clean than black or stainless). The eat in part of the kitchen connects with the den which is painted a grayish taupe. The gray is fine. In fact, I just painted the accent wall with the fireplace a charcoal gray.

I need paint color suggestions for the rest of the kitchen. The formal dining (opposite the eat in breakfast area/den) room is currently painted red. Not crazy about it, but I'll hold off on painting it until I can sell my current dining room furniture and replace it with something smaller.

So, any suggestions about a color to go with the light oak? They are too good to replace so I'm stuck with the finish. Comments on the net indicate the oiled bronze finish for hardware may be on it's way out.
  2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Maybe a neutral like beige? Or would that make the kitchen too light?
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I hate bronze hardware and lights. To me, it looks very dated. But if the handles and even light fixtures are otherwise all right, you could remove them all, and spray-paint the metal black or silver or etc. Of course you can also replace them, but if money or etc. is an issue, a can of spray paint can get you pretty far.

You say the kitchen connects with the den. Does that mean the two rooms are attached? If so, then if/when you repaint the kitchen, you could do in the same color as the den and that often makes the entire area look bigger. Or you could go with a slight variation on the den's color. But if the rooms connect or link, I'd want to keep the colors related to each other.

If you hate the oak look, you could always paint the cabinets. That's certainly the easiest way to transform them. You can also refinish them, although that's a big job. Rustoleum has a new product called Cabinet Transformations, but despite what they say on their website, their process is a lot of work. Minwax offers Polyshades, but you'd want to practice with that product to get your technique down before using it on your cabinets... But there are options.
  4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I think it'd have to be a strong beige, more of a very light coffee, even. Otherwise, she'll basically have beige walls, beige cabinets (the oak) and beige floors (the oak).
  5. rfisher

One wall of the breakfast area is painted the same taupe as the den (hall, foyer and living room). There is another short hall off the kitchen to another bath and bedroom. The hall and br are also the same taupe. Three walls of the kitchen are painted the light green. Maybe some shade of blue? Of course, my bedroom is going to be blue, master bath blue, downstairs bath is turquoise (looks awesome) and I have navy blue furniture in the living room. At least the blue would be consistent.

I just read a forum that is predicting the return of the light oak to fashion in a couple of years. :lol: Painting them would be a major chore so I'll probably just leave them as is and start replacing the light fixtures.
  6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture you could post?
  7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Yeah. It's hard to picture from the description.
  8. PrincessLeppard

pfft. She still hasn't even posted pictures of the alleged poodles on Facebook. You think you're getting a house picture?
  9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

You're probably right. What's she sfraid of? :shuffle:
  10. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

11. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

I have a very nice blue/grey painted on a feature wall shared by living room and dining room. At times is looks quite blue and at others definitely grey. I absolutely love it. The flooring is the original oak from 1953, so it is perhaps a bit more golden than yours.

Check out this link http://www.styleathome.com/decorating-and-design/styling-secrets/25-decor-dos-for-2011/a/33804

#6 in their list says brass is making a big comeback so maybe if you hang on and see more of it about you will start to like it. It has never been that big of a favourite of mine - I'm more the nickel kind - but brass is at least better than gold.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  12. rfisher

Because I haven't figured out how to do it?
  13. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

14. rfisher

Maybe I'll hold off on replacing those fixtures for a while. Paint is cheap. I'll stop by Sherwin-Williams and get some samples and see what I want to do. The kitchen color will ultimately determine what I do with the dining room. I like Benjamin Moore paint, but the only retailer close to me has a limited selection and aren't very knowledgable about paint. If I can figure out how to download pictures and post them online, :lol: I'll do so.
  15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I have light-colored cabinets (birch, not oak) and Jungle Green granite countertops, both of which I like. The contrast looks really sharp and, to me, dark cabinets feel gloomy in a kitchen. Our kitchen and open-floor family room is also painted pastel green, but it's not working for me, either. We just wanted "clean and neutral," so we went with pastels throughout the house and the rooms are really bright and sunny.

When we replace the family room furniture and the flooring, we'll repaint. I'm thinking of a "Pottery Barn" color (as my realtor called it) to bring out the green in the countertops.

I love the look of the glass-tile backsplashes behind the stove. That's on my do list for later this year. There are some beautiful sheets with silver, gold and grey mixed together. Fairly easy to install, based on what my niece did in her kitchen. She didn't stop at the backsplash - all under-counter walls have this tile now. It looks great, but she has a BIG kitchen with a lot of cabinets and wall space, so it took a long time to finish the job.

I think pewter-colored hardware would go well with your grey accent wall. I second the "paint the hardware" suggestion, as long as you don't have to paint the hinges of the cabinets - that's a PITA. Bed, Bath and Beyond had some nice accent rugs with varied colors that would add a splash of color to the room.

I didn't think I would like white appliances, but since we bought the house with a white built-in microwave and dishwasher, we bought our fridge/freezer and sink in white. I like the look of white appliances against the dark countertops. You're right: it is easier to keep clean. I notice the dirt right away and a quick swipe gets rid of it. Now, if I could get my husband to stop putting magnets and papers all over the fridge...
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

rfisher, How about a play on the turquoise that's in the bath? To my eye, teal is great with taupe.
  17. rfisher

I have enough paint left, I think I'll put up some sample spots and see. I know I want to repaint. I like the glass tile backsplash's as well and will do that on at least one wall.
  18. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

Tuscan orange. :shuffle:
  19. rfisher

Tuscan is a bad word now for decorators.
  20. pollyanna

Why is that? Out of style already?
  21. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

What about just bringing the taupe/grey into the kitchen? Keeping the same color could make the area look bigger. I don't usually like a lot of blocks of color, it chops the rooms up. And, when you sell the house, the more colors, the more instances of people not liking one or more of them.

My kitchen cabinets are a dark honey oak with brass knobs. My appliances are black, my floor is terra-cotta, my counter is granite (grays, caramels, and creams with a terra-cotta vein running through it). I painted the walls with a double shearling roller. Using a split paint tray - one color a beige, the other color a very light shade of the terra-cotta. It almost looks like Venetian plaster, its a very subtle technique and overall looks like a peachy beige. It brings out the golden tones in the cabinets nicely.

A suggestion for knobs/fixtures - brushed nickel. It's warmer than chrome or stainless. And the brushed finish is easy to care for.
  22. rfisher

Supposedly.
  23. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

My kitchen cabinets are stained dark oak and they are now so old-fashioned and dark (we put them in 21 years ago) so our aim over the next year is to extend (knock down a wall) into our smallish dining room and we'll be putting in maple, birch or preferably ash units probably with black glossy worktops. Haven't thought about wall colours as yet. But there are some breakfast bar stools which come in a gorgeous rich cherry colour and I would love to buy them and do a contrast wall to match :shuffle:

I was interested in your comment about white appliances - here it's unusual to not have white, although silver/stainless steel is quite fashionable and most appliances do come in black. Personally I'm not keen on the dark colours and will stick to white but my son has a mix of the stainless steel and black appliances which he loves.

I did notice on a couple of kitchen adverts recently that really bright colours like lime greens and purples (not necessarily in the same room!) with matching accessories are being pushed - kettles, toasters, etc., which actually look quite good if you really want to make a bold statement :)
  24. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Our toaster oven and coffee maker are both stainless steel and black because we had intended to buy in that scheme for this house. I'm glad we changed our minds and went with the white. Since we don't have windows in the kitchen, it helps make it brighter.

My stand mixer is a white KitchenAid that my mom bought for herself in the 1970's, I think from Monkey Ward. I inherited it when she passed away, so I think of her when I use it and let's be honest: it's a KitchenAid. It's never going to die unless I suddenly turn into Betty Crocker, lol. I don't keep it on the counter, but I do have "color lust" for those pretty, brightly-colored small appliances.

Our kitchen had a peninsula counter with a short top wall that created a lame bar-height shelf that they tried to pass off as a "eat at bar." It was high, narrow and blocked the view of the family room. We had the wall cut down to counter height and a huge chunk of granite installed for the countertop, so it's now a counter-height bar with a lot of room. It is awesome - the kids eat at it all the time, which keeps food out of the family room area for the most part. When I'm cooking or cleaning up, I can talk to guests/kids/DH while they're watching TV or playing the Wii. For parties, we move the stools/chairs, lay out a buffet and people can serve themselves from both sides. We had a crappy renovation contractor that gave us agita every step of the way, but we really do enjoy the results of our battles.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  25. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

26. PrincessLeppard

That? is awesome. rfisher, you do that and I'll never make fun of your poodles again.

well, not as much. :p
  27. pollyanna

Love it, immoimeme!
  28. rfisher

Acid green is supposed to be a hot color this year. I'd never do the counter tops in that color because it will be very dated in a few years. Paint is easy to replace. I do kind of like the acid green except I'd have to paint the dining room taupe. Acid green and red would cause my eyes to twitch.
  29. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I was just going to say that the countertops don't look good in that color, but I like it on the walls above the cabinets and at the table. If the counters and under-counter walls were a different color, I'd really like it, too.

Love the chairs in that photo.
  30. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

31. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I liked the blue chair - it's like putting one black pebble in a jar full of white ones, lol. I've used that particular blue-and-green combination in my kitchen. It brings out the green in the countertios,