December Vacation

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Skittl1321, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to pick a place to vacation in early December, could be anywhere. Looking for a week long trip.

We are most likely going to go to Cozumel, but we are trying to think if there are any other options that might be just as fun, but less expensive.
    Budget for airfare and lodging for 2 is about $1,500. Depending on where we are going, that could go a bit higher, because our entertainment (scuba diving) budget for Cozumel is $750, and if we wouldn't need that much money to do stuff somewhere else it could be moved around.

There are lots of places I want to go, but not many of them in the winter.

Thanks for the help!
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Are you looking specifically for someplace warm?
  3. Skittl1321

No, it could be somewhere cold as long as it is nice to be there when it is cold.
    For instance, I don't really want to go to Chicago in the winter. But a ski vacation would work (though I think that would break the budget).

We've done NYC in the winter, and it was okay- but I'm not a HUGE fan of walking around in the cold unless it is really worth it.
  4. genevieve

what are your priorities for the trip, then? Budget? Desired activities? I'm a fan of going places in the off season (smaller crowds, less expensive), but I'm not a huge beachy person so the things I'd be looking to do may not be what others are up for.

Since you're looking at Cozumel, are there other Central American countries you'd be interested in? Weather should be getting nice in December and depending on how you travel, the costs once you get there could be really low compared to other tourist destinations.
  5. Skittl1321

Priority is that we have vacation time to use up, and not a lot of money to spend.
    Budget is in the first post- lodging and airfare about $1,500 for two.

I don't enjoy hanging out on a beach, but we like to scuba dive. Prefer active vacations to 'relaxing' ones.

December seems harder to plan for than other months, because I feel like it rules out a lot of "city tour" type of destinations.
    Has to be December though because of work schedules. Probably the first week, so we don't get into holiday airfare.

Not really sure what good Central America destinations might be. I know a few people who went to Costa Rica but that was to an all inclusive where they just laid on the beach and drank. Not sure what else is available.

I'm just wondering what other people consider December vacation destinations, just to give me ideas.
  6. genevieve

I mentioned Central America because I'm going there, and December would be a better time, weather-wise, but I need to go sooner. There is great scuba diving and a growing tourism industry in Belize (and I think it's cheaper than Costa Rica). I'm heading to Nicaragua, and possibly Honduras and El Salvador - I'm going for a more rustic vacation, not a huge tourism-directed one, but those countries are relatively easy to get to from the US, and the bang for your buck is huge.

My last winter vacation (January not Dec) was to Amsterdam, where the weather was almost exactly like home :lol: I had a great time, though, and while the airfare was not cheap, the off-season prices helped. I stayed in a budget hotel in a great location for $50/night, and the food was a lot cheaper than I'd expected.
  7. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Costa Rica has a lot to do besides hanging around the beach. There are rainforest tours, active volcanos, zip lines, snorkeling, and even scuba diving.
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

One of my coworkers told me the other day that she and her husband bought a trip to Maui through Costco for $2800 total for one week. It included airfare, hotel (condo, I think) and a rental car. That sounds like a really good price, if you have not been to Maui.
  9. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Las Vegas! It's warm and there's plenty to do, even if you aren't big gamblers.
    Or you join those of us going to the GPF in Barcelona.
  10. Skittl1321

I wish! My husband wants to go on this vacation though, and I couldn't even get him to drive up to Skate America with me. (Though maybe he'd be more interested in Barcelona...)

Thanks all for the ideas!
  11. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Go to Belize. Stay on Ambergris Caye and do some diving for a few days. Take a quick flight over to Guatemala to see the Mayan ruins at Tikal. Stay in Flores overnight. That would make a great week-long trip.
  12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

NYC is just so amazing around Christmas. I assume the tree and everything is up in early December. Plus, chances are it may not even be THAT cold. It is a gamble but last time we went (last year) it was cool but not horribly cold. There was one time, however, when it snowed a foot and temps never got above freezing. You just never know! However, we go mid to late December so I would think, climatologically you have better odds of better temps.
  13. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I am not a Vegas person myself, but early December is when my brother goes because it is one of the cheapest weeks out of the year there. That might be true for Disney as well. Another possibility is Asheville NC. But the weather can be variable at that time of year.
  14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Japan for Japan Nationals!
  15. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

There's always Lake Placid. My brother lives outside of Saranac Lake and he is a denizen of both Whiteface and Gore. Snow was amazing when I went up to visit him at the beginning of January.