Debi Thomas

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, May 2, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Did she get back into Skating at some point? As I saw her listed as skating for a 2010 Tour. But last I knew she was a Dr.
  2. Civic

Civic New Member

The last I heard, Debi Thomas is an orthopedic surgeon in private practice, married to an attorney named Chris Bequette, and has a son who should be in his early teens now.
  3. FSWer

FSWer New Member

That's what I thought. From last I knew too.According to scratchspin.com there are pics of her skating in 2010.
  4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Debi did skate in 2010 at the Caesars Tribute to Figure Skating. Here's a link with a short clip of Debi talking about why she decided to come back and skate at this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_e16EHE46o

ETA:
    Debi is one of the old timers who has/ had a pretty decent leg position in her layback spin. :)
  5. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Ge as a Dr. How did she manage that? Is she staying with Skating?
  6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I think she just did that one show and isn't planning to continue show skating.

I recall reading an article that mentioned Dr Thomas was doing some volunteer work in Nepal providing surgery such as joint replacements to people who didn't have access to the medical procedure. She mentioned that doing the one charity show was not only fun, but gave her a chance to publicize her charity work. She hoped the publicity about their work might help raise some funds to cover the costs involved with the surgeries.

You can see a pic of Debi in this photo from the WOGO charity team that worked on the Nepal trip (she's holding the bottle of water in the first row).

Debi is not only an amazing skater, but she's a great role model for young skaters!
  7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^My god, what a woman!

I hear she has been giving Rachael Flatt some advice re: skating/studying. What a mentor to have!
  8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I like it ! And good choice of music !
  9. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Good lord; some of the comments on that vid are a bit :eek: :rolleyes: And it saddens me that one skaters name is mentioned in comparison - doesn't exactly help the reputation of her fans.

Anyway, great vid! :D
  10. aftershocks

^^ You're not kidding. Unbelievable. :huh: :rolleyes: A lot of times youtube comments are so WTF! The negative posts have nothing whatever to do with the event, with Debi's skate, with her skating career, or with her life now. Nor does the negative comparison have anything to do with the skater that the idiotic poster mentioned -- the named skater skates in a completely different era than the one Debi prospered in. Comparing eras and skaters is one thing, but being an idiot and making no sense is a different thing entirely.

Prior to the idiot's comments, Debi herself posted a comment thanking all those who complimented her performance and chutzpah. Kudos to Debi, and I hope she's been receiving more funding for her charity work.
  11. FSWer

FSWer New Member

I wonder if it's because she misses Skating? It shows though that the girl at least hastn't lost it. LOL. Now when people go into her office. If they saw the Show. I'm sure she'll be signing autograghs.
  12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Did Debi ever commentate?

I seem to remember at '90 Goodwill Games during the ladies event, A woman named 'Debbie' was giving great commentary, but it was an American competition
  13. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yep, Debi Thomas was commentator for both ladies and mens events at 1990 Goodwill Games.
  14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I thought Debi was a great commentator. I wish she had done more. The worst commentator is Rosalynn Sumners. She is such a snotty full of it announcer I find, who has a pompous way of presenting her opinions as facts. And she always has to bring up her own sob story of losing the Oly Gold by a tenth of a point, like any of the TV viewers over a decade later even cared anymore. She is worse than Sandra Bezic. I am not surprised NBC fired her so quickly but she continued to work for Fox and other networks. Debi was excellent though. Great personality yet very articulate and accurate in her assessments of the skaters and the competition.
  15. olympic

^ I recall Debi being fantastic - no over-emoting or endless babbling, just straightforward, clear commentary.

LOL about Roz. But true
  16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Yes, she didn't adopt the nickname Rozilla for nothing. :blah::scream::shuffle:
  18. aftershocks

^^ Yep, Sumner's attitude was pretty much nose in the air, "I'm so above you" when I once met her in person. Unfortunately, I found Brian Orser to be much similar (I met them at the same time, and sure I could give them the benefit of the doubt that they were busy and tired at that moment and didn't want to be bothered with fans, but there was not a crowd of fans -- just a few at an afterparty --after World Pros one year). They did sign autographs, but with a holier than thou attitude, and without speaking, smiling or even looking at me. Quite different from Michelle Kwan, Brian Boitano, Ingo Steuer, Dick Button, Todd Eldredge, Kurt Browning, Rudy Galindo, Randy Gardner, Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito, Petr Barna, Nicole Bobek, Elizabeth Punsalan and Jerod Swallow, Todd Sand and Jenni Meno, (and what I've heard about Johnny Weir) all such lovely people, willing to speak with and share a little time with fans (note: I didn't meet all of these skaters at the same time -- different events over the years). Michelle especially was so kind when I met her in 1998 at World Pros -- she looks you right in the eye as if you are someone who matters. Also, Todd Eldredge I particularly found to be so sweet, such a gentleman and so appreciative of fans' interest in him and his skating. I've never had the opportunity to meet Debi Thomas. In any case, I realize that not everyone has the same approachability and outgoing, engaging personality when meeting fans.
  19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

hmmm, I always wondered why she had that nickname but it makes perfect sense now. She seems to carry a big chip on her shoulder about the sport which I find kind of hard to understand. IMO she was lucky to get out of it as much as she did and should feel grateful for her experiences in skating. Nobody would have predicted in 80 and 81 she would have even been a contender for the Olympic Gold let alone the favorite, or be a World and 3 time U.S Champion. The judges seemed to love her and the judges in Sarajevo gave her every chance to win the Gold but she blew it in both programs. It isnt like she has any right to feel she wuzrobbed like some others who have lost close decisions could, unless she is a bit delusional. And due to her romantic involvement with a key figure she stayed on the Stars on Ice cast for many years, alot longer than she probably deserved to considering she isnt really a huge star in the sport, especialy by the late 90s. Yuka Sato was kept off the cast in favor of her which I find absurd. And she keeps finding commentary work, or atleast had been for many years, despite her dreadful work.
  20. olympic

In fact, she always struck me as being 'icy' even as a competitor in her amateur days
  21. ponta1

ponta1 New Member

What an amazing woman Dr. Thomas is!!
  22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

That is lovely to hear. I was a huge fan of Debi's back in the day and it's nice to know, as you say, that someone one admires is at least as nice a person as one hopes and expects her/him to be.
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks! Our experiences with both of them were very similar.

We haven't had the opportunity to meet Debi "up close & personal" either, but we did get to see her at the Caesar's Tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating in December. I sent her a private message on Facebook, mentioning how much we loved the show, and I also expressed the hope that TPTB would consider releasing a DVD of the entire show (7 performances were "chacked" in the original broadcast!). She thanked me for the message and encouraged me to spread the word along to my skating fan buddies to contact Jerry Solomon (CEO of Stargames) for this. I would love to meet her "up close" some day.
  25. aftershocks

Oh, that's great to hear, paskatefan! Thanks for sharing this information. Debi has always struck me as someone who appreciates her fans, and she seems to also be someone who is modest about her achievements (and sometimes a little too hard on herself as well). What an interesting and accomplished life she has had, albeit with some heartaches. She should feel very proud.

Debi's apparent modesty reminds me of the recent Michelle Kwan article, where Michelle speaks of wanting to strive to be "a good citizen, a good daughter ... and to make a positive impact on people's lives." Amazing quote, as of course Michelle has already done that and then some. At such a young age, she's achieved more than most people will in a lifetime. It is very revealing, and also a lesson in there too (as I mentioned in that thread): Don't rest on your laurels, and don't believe all the accolades and superlatives that come your way.

ETA: Thanks to Garden Kitty, too, for your reminisces of meeting Debi!
    Last edited: May 12, 2011