Death spirals with David Pelletier

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by algonquin, Nov 12, 2011.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I am not sure where to put this, so Admins, please move if needed.

http://www.toronto.com/article/703892?bn=1

For all of you that have dreamed of doing a death spiral with an elite pairs skater, here is a cute article from the Toronto Star's City Hall reporter, Robyn Doolittle, about her opportunity to skate with David Pelletier. She writes:

(I hope that doesn't start any SLC rants. :scream:)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    geoskate, PeterG, KatieC and 3 others like this.
  2. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Fun article. The writer sounds like she had a dream come true. And I'll bet some of those moves were scary, but how exciting to have experienced them.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What a cute article! Of course, if you are going to try pairs skating, it might as well be with one of the best male pairs skaters of all time, no?

Thanks for sharing :)

4. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Neat, thanks for posting. :)

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh man, how fun!! At least with a death spiral you're fairly close to the ice so a fall might not hurt as much??

My spin coach was a national-level pairs competitor, and when our taller mid-20s male pair skater is around she loves to "borrow" him for a few pairs spins, lifts, and death spirals (she's now 37).

Pairs skaters have gotta have about the strongest shoulder joints (okay, except for poor Yuko K) around.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That was great - thanks for posting. Loved the clip. She is so lucky to have that opportunity.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Aw, good for her! She looked pretty darned good for a first-time pair skater! :)

8. mattiecat13

mattiecat13 Member

I've always dreamed of having a male pairs skater do a lift with me. Alas, it will probably never happen.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

You're probably more likely to get to try a death spiral...

A coach at our rink once said he can drag anyone around for a revolution or two (after calling another coach "luggage" when they tried)

But I think it would be dangerous to try a lift without first working to make sure you can hold the positions.

My coach has told me he will teach me death spirals- I have to do a loop first. That loop has taken me years. A death spiral is my dream!

10. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

This just reminded me of the story Barb Underhill told about missing flying up in the air while expecting and how she begged Paul to do a lift with her, which he sensibly refused to do.

11. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Good for her. :) What a great experience.

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Anyone who tried to lift me would be squashed.

13. LLOS

LLOS New Member

I did try a death spiral with an elite pairs skater and I can tell you it is sooo hard to do, we did it the same as in the video but once I was trying to get down I needed to quit, I do not habe the strength to hold it at all. So I just did the privot spiral version. But it was thrilling just trying it!! Unforgetable...