Death spiral question

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by maatTheViking, Feb 14, 2012.

1. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Dont know if this belongs in GSD but I have some questions about death spirals

I am not really super good at the teknik stuff, so I was wondering about ugly death spirals

This year, is the SP death spiral inside edge and the LP outside edge? is this a requirement?

At 4CC all the LPones, except Dube, was really ugly with the 'bend leg' position. I wonder, why do they do those ugly nes, where the lady is in such a strange position?

2. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i scratch myself on the head too on this. i dont know what makes them (skaters and judges) think that the bent free leg on the BODS makes it more difficult. isnt a straight leg with a pointed toe more difficult since it requires more stretch and effort to maintain such position?

3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

The short program DS for this season is a forward inside death spiral (FiDs)

In championship pairs, the death spiral in the free skate must be different than that of the short program. The outside death spirals are worth the most and the BoDs being easier than a FoDs almost all teams are doing the BoDs in the LP this season.

4. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

well, primarily she/he was asking about the position of the legs in the DS.

5. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ Because it's difficult to do a BoDs without looking hideous.

6. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

The thing I've always wondered is why the BO death spiral is done with the lady lying back, where all the other death sprials have the lady on her side. The inside death spirals therefore get much closer to the ice. Shen &Zhao are the only couple I recall having ever done a FO death sprial and IIRC she was side on in that position.

I dont see a physical reason why the BO death sprial couldn't be done on the side, the only thing is that the free leg wouldn't be abel to cross, but the same is true on the FO one.

ETA: actually i might have answered my own question, I think the rule for the death spirals is that the ladies head must be lower than her skating knee or hip (can anyone confirm this?). If that is the case then on the BO death sprial it would probably be virtually impossible to attain than position side on, but lying backward a higher knee position allowed the lady to drop backward from the knee and keep head and hips down lower than the knee.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

thank you for your answers.

8. madm

madm Active Member

The ladies head must be lower than her knee. The detailed description of levels and positions required is in this document http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/First Aid Pairs.pdf. Here's an excerpt:

Positions
    Lady’s “low position”:
    - for inside Death Spirals the lowest hip or buttock and head should not be higher than her skating knee;

- for outside Death Spirals head should not be higher than her skating knee and bodyline between knee of skating leg and head should be flat or shallow arch.

Man’s “low pivot position”: buttocks not higher than the knee of the pivot foot. The Level of a death spiral without one full revolution in the described Man’s and Lady’s simultaneous position can not be more than 1. Any part of the Death Spiral with a higher Lady’s or Man’s position is not valid for Level features 3) and 4).

Lady not in the prescribed position
    If Lady’s head and/or lowest hip is (are) higher then skating leg knee, the Level cannot be more then 1. If during the Death Spiral Lady’s head
    never reaches the level of her skating knee, the Death Spiral will have no value.